No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
    Note to self: Next script title to start with the letter "A".

Note to Franklin: Thanks very much for coming here to answer questions.
    Happy to do it.

Comment

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Thanks for being on here much appreciated. Quick question, does paying $25 to get a spot on the site offer me far less thanpaying $75 to get coverage? i.e. if I pay just to post the script what am I losing out on in the big picture?
      Eric
      www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
        Thanks for being on here much appreciated. Quick question, does paying $25 to get a spot on the site offer me far less thanpaying $75 to get coverage? i.e. if I pay just to post the script what am I losing out on in the big picture?
        We definitely encourage people to spend at least $50 on one read. That evaluation provides us additional information to assess the quality of the script and spotlight it if that quality warrants it. It also provides critical data that allows us to make targeted recommendations based on our recommendations algorithm.

Comment

Hi Franklin,

What are the caliber of readers you are employing? Are these experienced readers?

EJ

Comment

Thank you for this! So is the new $25 option somewhat like InkTip (don't hurt me for asking), or is it more of simply a review option?

I also wonder why would the industry professionals want to read the scripts that we put up? Is there anything in it for them (aside from possibly finding a great script)?
            www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
            http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I'd encourage all of you to read what's at the below link in full.

Thank you to all of you for asking questions yesterday. As there are more that I haven't directly addressed here or at this link, I'll respond to clear things up.

The What, How, and Why of the Black List: The Long Answer by Franklin Leonard

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...n-leonard.html
              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-16-2012, 04:52 PM. Reason: Fixed link.

Comment

Great read, thank you! - I think I will go ahead and post 'Back by Sunrise.' I am still not sure why people would choose to read it, although I imagine the lists are filtered by genre and then the industry reps can see loglines, and that would be what could intrigue them. And I suppose the other way is paying for the coverage, and if it is good, that will get the ball rolling. If I am wrong, someone please let me know. But it sounds good if that is the case. I look forward to it!

Want a free book?

Comment

A few quick questions about the BlckLst 3.0, Mr Leonard :

Is it $25 a month per screenplay submitted to the site? Or $25 a month for as many screenplays a writer wishes to submit?

Is there a "grace period" before a project can be found in search results by an industry member seeking a screenplay, or will details about a submitted screenplay (logline, title, contact info, script itself) appear in the search from the moment the first month's fee is paid?

Will there be a section on the site where a writer who has submitted will be able to receive contact via say a PM from one of the industry folk who use the site to search for a screenplay and have questions/info to discuss with the writer about their project? Or will this be expected externally via the contact details (email, phone etc) that a writer uploads with their submission?

Can writers who upload also search through the screenplays submitted?

Will updates on projects, such as those that become optioned, writers who find representation if otherwise not yet repped etc - be added to the site so writers can see the results possible by uploading to the site?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
                    A few quick questions about the BlckLst 3.0, Mr Leonard :

Is it $25 a month per screenplay submitted to the site? Or $25 a month for as many screenplays a writer wishes to submit?

Is there a "grace period" before a project can be found in search results by an industry member seeking a screenplay, or will details about a submitted screenplay (logline, title, contact info, script itself) appear in the search from the moment the first month's fee is paid?

Will there be a section on the site where a writer who has submitted will be able to receive contact via say a PM from one of the industry folk who use the site to search for a screenplay and have questions/info to discuss with the writer about their project? Or will this be expected externally via the contact details (email, phone etc) that a writer uploads with their submission?

Can writers who upload also search through the screenplays submitted?

Will updates on projects, such as those that become optioned, writers who find representation if otherwise not yet repped etc - be added to the site so writers can see the results possible by uploading to the site?

Thanks

Having just signed up I can speak to some of this -

It seems to be $25 per month per screenplay;

I signed up last night and have had 9 views as of this morning (just viewing my logline etc., not the script), so I believe that means they can see it right away... I also believe that means I need a better logline since none of those people opened the script;

We can see the names and genre and logline of other scripts submitted, but not the script. Actually now this makes me wonder - does that 9 mean 9 industry people looked, or 9 people just like me? Hmmm, confusing.

That's all I got - hope it helps!
                    Last edited by stainjm; 10-17-2012, 07:32 AM.

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post

Having just signed up I can speak to some of this -

It seems to be $25 per month per screenplay;

I signed up last night and have had 9 views as of this morning (just viewing my logline etc., not the script), so I believe that means they can see it right away... I also believe that means I need a better logline since none of those people opened the script;
                      Did you pay for a read/rating and it was put up that fast?

In other words, does the 25 a month fee start as soon as you get it read/rated, or is it put up immediately before they read it? If so, does that count as part of the month, even though they haven't rated it yet?

Incidentally, John August just did a post about this new Blacklist venture, so I'm sure they are about ready to get slammed with scripts.

(maybe we should merge the two Blacklist threads?)

Comment

I just paid $25, no $50 for the coverage. My plan is to leave it up for one month, see if it gets any reads/comments, then next month try the coverage ($50) if nothing, then leave it up for another two months to see how it goes (if I get good initial coverage).

So yeah, it started charging right away, regardless of reads or whatever.

I'll keep you updated!

Want a free book?

Comment

Can you upload a TV pilot or is it features only right now?

Comment

Don't know.

UPDATE: Two days later and the 9 number is the same (That is impressions). So I suppose that means nine people like me clicked my script and read the logline. When you first sign up your script/name shows up on the main screen, so you will get some of these 'impressions' clicks - don't get excited.

Impressions: How many times your script information was viewed
                            Downloads: How many times your script was downloaded for reading
                            Ratings: Number of times your script was rated by another member
                            Average Rating: Average rating for your scripts

Want a free book?

Comment

FYI, if you view your script info yourself, it counts as an impression.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                                Hi Franklin,

As someone whose spec went out wide 6 months ago, I definitely worry that the time-frame is going to work against me.

Do you think we, as writers, should do anything to refresh readers' minds? Or direct our reps to do so?

I don't mean "campaigning" as such. More like... erasing the chronological disadvantage of going wide earlier in the year.
                                Listen, TravisPickle, if that IS your real name, you should change it immediately.

Otherwise your name is going to work against you. Don't ask me how I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X