Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
murgvaela
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 17
Default HELP Formal Offer?

The manager of a director has responded to my pitch by saying if I wish to make a formal offer, I must make that proposal in writing. Could someone give me advice on how to go about writing that? Thank you in advance.
murgvaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
docgonzo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,159
Default Re: HELP Formal Offer?

Are you a producer? Is this an attachment agreement? I have no clue what you mean by 'formal offer', unless there's some kind of money on the table.

Then again, this might be the manager's roundabout way of passing on the idea.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
murgvaela
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 17
Default Re: HELP Formal Offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Are you a producer? Is this an attachment agreement? I have no clue what you mean by 'formal offer', unless there's some kind of money on the table.

Then again, this might be the manager's roundabout way of passing on the idea.
Yes, I am producing my screenplay and want to package the project. I want to attach a director. The project will be financed partially by government funds and tax incentives. So there is no money yet.

I said to the manager that I wanted his client to direct my movie and he told me: "If you wish to make a formal offer, do that by making the proposal in writing."

He also asked me to send in my screenplay.
murgvaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
JoeBanks
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,996
Default Re: HELP Formal Offer?

this is the soft way of a director's rep passing on the script. a "formal offer" means legit financing with attached talent so that the project could go if the director attaches themself to it.

but if he asked for you to send the script, send it in by all means. i just wouldn't expect more than the read
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
murgvaela
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 17
Default Re: HELP Formal Offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
this is the soft way of a director's rep passing on the script. a "formal offer" means legit financing with attached talent so that the project could go if the director attaches themself to it.

but if he asked for you to send the script, send it in by all means. i just wouldn't expect more than the read
Thank you JoeBanks! I will send him my script. To be frank, I was not expected much anyway
murgvaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
ProfessorChomp
Regular
 
ProfessorChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 415
Default Re: HELP Formal Offer?

Joe is correct. It's a manager's job to sift through the many scripts that come his/her client's way and weed out whatever doesn't already have money (or other solid attachments) in place. "Formal written offer" isn't really a thing - it's simply the manager's way of saying "come back when it's real".

But by all means send the script if you've been invited to, and see what happens.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,844
Default Re: HELP Formal Offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgvaela View Post
Thank you JoeBanks! I will send him my script. To be frank, I was not expected much anyway
your original post didn't say that they invited you to send the script. did they? if they did, send the script, but if they only asked for a "formal offer," i wouldn't send the script unless it's been requested.
__________________
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,” Pablo Picasso
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:02 AM   #8
murgvaela
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 17
Default Re: HELP Formal Offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
your original post didn't say that they invited you to send the script. did they? if they did, send the script, but if they only asked for a "formal offer," i wouldn't send the script unless it's been requested.
Thank you all for your help.

Yes, the manager asked to send the screenplay also.
murgvaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,844
Default Re: HELP Formal Offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgvaela View Post
Thank you all for your help.

Yes, the manager asked to send the screenplay also.
good luck with your project!
__________________
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,” Pablo Picasso
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker