Can you be represented with a writing partner and solo?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you be represented with a writing partner and solo?

I have a writing partner for some projects and I also pursue a lot of work on my own. Are there writers who have representation with their writing partner and then another set of reps for their solo projects? How does that typically work?

Re: Can you be represented with a writing partner and solo?

Generally you'll have one set of rep.

That rep will handle all of your work, commissioning your half of your partnered work (assuming your partner shares the rep, or has his own rep; if not they may be the de facto rep for the whole partnership and commission the whole thing) and all of your solo work.

I never say never, but it would be challenging for different rep to represent you solo and with a partner. Quite simply, your reps interest would not align with yours. eg, your with-a-partner rep would want to get you solo work and would want you to not take partnered work (because then you're on the shelf, but they're getting no commission) and vice versa.

Not rep wants to do work to get your name out there when that may result in a deal where they get no commission. Plus there are weird potential conflicts. eg, let's say I set up a meeting with you, solo, with a producer. Six months later, that producer hires you and your partner to do something. I made the initial introduction and get your work in front of him. Who commissions that?

That being said, be careful about partnerships. I think they can be great (broke in with one) but I have a friend who was set up with a partner by his rep (who handles both of them). They sold a pilot - great! But then they were basically wedded to each other for the next staffing season.

Comment

Working...
    X