No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Movie Would You Remake?

Okay, here's the scenario:

Your Hollywood Fairy Godmother has granted you the rights and ability to remake any movie ever made. The catch is that you can only do it for $20 million or less and you can't call in any special favors (like you have some cousin that's great at CGI so you can get that for free, or your friends with Tarantino, so you know you can get him to write and direct at scale and get all his acting buddies thrown in, too).
    On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

What Movie Would You Remake?

Did JEKYLL & CANADA without a "Hollywood Fairy Godmother", (and only a $2184 budget),

With less than $20 million for a budget, I'd tell the story about the Confederate raid at St. Albans, Vermont, in 1864, based upon my historical research, (rather than a Hollywood "true story", as was done with THE RAID). That's as close as I would get, again, to a "remake".
    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: What Movie Would You Remake?

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post
      Okay, here's the scenario:

Your Hollywood Fairy Godmother has granted you the rights and ability to remake any movie ever made. The catch is that you can only do it for $20 million or less and you can't call in any special favors (like you have some cousin that's great at CGI so you can get that for free, or your friends with Tarantino, so you know you can get him to write and direct at scale and get all his acting buddies thrown in, too).
      Something Wicked This Way Comes -- the original was a really big disappointment (apart from the James Horner score, which was great) even though it had a screenplay by Bradbury, it seemed to lack much of the sinister magic of the book -- plus the decision to go back later and film additional sequences with the boys who both clearly looked much older than they did in the rest of the movie was horrible.

Second -- Marooned -- also not a great movie, but I think a great idea for a movie -- shift the location to the international space station. An accident with the soviet shuttle destroys the shuttle and a portion of the station leaving the survivors trapped and bleeding air into space -- and there's no space craft ready to bring them home.

So in the short time left they have to figure out how to adapt the low-orbital private "Space X" vehicle so that it can get all the way up to the ISP, dock with it, and rescue the survivors before they run out of air.

I actually pitched this, but unfortunately couldn't get any interest in it. Que sera' sera'.

NMS

Comment

I'd remake a bad movie into a good one.

But while it's not a bad movie (just a horribly dated one), I'd choose A Nightmare on Elm Street. One of the coolest concepts in all of film.

Comment

I could have a blast with I Was a Teenage Werewolf.

Yeah, I know Teen Wolf was kind of a homage, but I still think it'd be interesting to play the premise as a straight-forward horror film, with no winking or ironic posturing. The premise of a hormone-addled adolescent suddenly inflicted with lycanthropy is a perfectly brutal set-up. Although you could still probably pull off a pretty solid PG-13 out of the material. Toy around with whether he was responsible for the murders, and whether he's actually turning into a werewolf.

Good luck getting the producer's widow to sell the rights, though. For some reason, she won't even license the movie (and a handful of other AIP titles) for DVD. She also controls Invasion of the Saucer Men, which would also be a hell of a lot of fun to remake.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK.

But the banks own that one so it'll never see a remake.

HH

Comment

Dreamscape.

Comment

The Night of the Iguana. It's one of my favorite films ever ever, yet those ladies do overact sometimes...

Comment

It's not a great original, but I like the concept of the 1980 movie Fade to Black where the main guy is a disturbed movie buff/serial killer who believes more and more that he is the characters from his favorite movies.
                  On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                    I'd choose A Nightmare on Elm Street. One of the coolest concepts in all of film.

SNAP!

Comment

Flatliners.
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      15,000+ Screenplays
                      [email protected]

Comment

The Hidden Fortress.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bio
                          But while it's not a bad movie (just a horribly dated one), I'd choose A Nightmare on Elm Street.
                          One, two, Eric Heisserer's coming for you...

(Eric's a dope dude and a great writer, btw.)

Comment

I'd remake the Warriors with middle aged guys like Will Ferrell. Maybe Weekend Warriors, a paintball team that has to make it through Manhattan to get to their kids soccer games.

Or Grease, and I'd cast Stockard Channing in the same role she played in 1978.

That movie is rife for a send up.

Rhianna as Sandy, Chris Brown as Danny.

The thing would write itself.

And would probably have to.

Comment

I'm kinda surprised The Breakfast Club missed their 25th HS Reunion...maybe they'll make the 30th.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                              X