Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interviews with managers - questions?

Excellent interview! I've been reading through the Q&A and 20Q posts on your site, you ask great, in-depth questions. Amazing resource for learning about the business, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Kfu3000 View Post
      Even though we don't have transcripts of the podcasts, we do have lots of different written Q&A interviews though -- so if you can't listen to the podcast, there is definite content for you to read on the site if you're interested.

P.S. The most recent interview (Adam Kolbrenner - Madhouse) is a written Q&A, not podcast. Just FYI.
      Thanks, kfu300, I'll be sure to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by castilleja32 View Post
        Excellent interview! I've been reading through the Q&A and 20Q posts on your site, you ask great, in-depth questions. Amazing resource for learning about the business, thank you!
        Thanks castilleja!
        http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/

Comment

I have a question, was thinking of posting a new thread about it or maybe it's covered in your interviews:

How important is genre when you're considering a manager? In checking producing credits for some managers, I notice they seem to specialize in genres (e.g., horror, heavy drama) that are different from my script (comedy). If someone has invested so much time and energy in those projects, they must have an affinity for that type of material. Is it worthwhile to focus on managers who seem to prefer comedy or take a broader approach?

Comment

I have a question, was thinking of posting a new thread about it or maybe it's covered in your interviews:

How important is genre when you're considering a manager? In checking producing credits for some managers, I notice they seem to specialize in genres (e.g., horror, heavy drama) that are different from my script (comedy). If someone has invested so much time and energy in those projects, they must have an affinity for that type of material. Is it worthwhile to focus on managers who seem to prefer comedy or take a broader approach?
            Actually we have discussed this in a couple interviews before. The consensus is that it does help to target your queries based on genre. While there is a chance that, by targeting reps who have numerous successful comedy writer clients, they already have their roster full in that specific genre. More likely however, you are indeed right, that by focusing on those reps that have had success selling scripts in a particular genre, you're more likely to find them receptive to the same - as that's probably in their wheelhouse so to speak. In addition, if they've sold numerous comedy scripts recently, they are probably very active in that arena and they likely know that section of the marketplace exceptionally well.

I'd recommend using the blacklist (the actual yearly voted on list), tracking board and spec scout (scoggins report) to see which reps are actively repping and selling comedy scripts and approach some of those first. You can also use IMDb pro to cross reference comedy writers with their reps and query them as well.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions for searches -- very useful!

Comment

Hey Kevin,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm really enjoying (and learning from) the podcasts on your site, as well as the other content. I think it may be the most comprehensive source of manager/agent interviews I've ever come across. So much useful first-hand information. And the fact that you interact with DDP members to get their questions/concerns out there makes the whole enterprise even more impressive. Keep up the great work!
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions for searches -- very useful!
                  Glad to be of help!

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                  Hey Kevin,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm really enjoying (and learning from) the podcasts on your site, as well as the other content. I think it may be the most comprehensive source of manager/agent interviews I've ever come across. So much useful first-hand information. And the fact that you interact with DDP members to get their questions/concerns out there makes the whole enterprise even more impressive. Keep up the great work!
                  Thanks U&C! Appreciate the kind words.

Comment

Working...
                  X