What's the best route to a star attachment?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best route to a star attachment?

I'm curious to hear/see DDer thoughts on which route they feel is the best strategy to get a script to a star. Via star's---Agent? Manager? Or Entertainment attorney? Since I'm not repped, I've got to hustle on my own. This is the low-down.
    Last edited by Charisma; 08-31-2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: kicked extraneous info
    Doth thou desirest a slapping? - William Shakespeare

Re: What's the best route to a star attachment?

Whoa, big font attack!

Excuse me for skipping your concept, but to the question: I'd personally go for the actor via his own production company - agents may not be interested in concepts if you're not represented (though this is a presumption).

On a side note, I once contacted an indie director I'm quite a fan of regarding one of my concepts; his assistant expressed the said director's interest and gave me the agent's contact e-mail. I wrote to the agent and never heard from her... you can read into this as you will.
    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
      Whoa, big font attack!

Excuse me for skipping your concept, but to the question: I'd personally go for the actor via his own production company - agents may not be interested in concepts if you're not represented (though this is a presumption).

On a side note, I once contacted an indie director I'm quite a fan of regarding one of my concepts; his assistant expressed the said director's interest and gave me the agent's contact e-mail. I wrote to the agent and never heard from her... you can read into this as you will.
      Hi grandMAster.

Thanks for the opinion, g. Font from another program---The Concept not the real focus, but you never know the insights you may get from the brain trust that comprises DD. Potent at times.

Reps seem to be terrific at C-blocking. Hate to see em at the clubs.

Contacting the indie director was cool and bold on your part.

Thanks again

Comment

C:

I always liked the way you could make it rain so here's the straight 411.

Manager and / or agent in that order (ain't I a tease?).

A Production Company may want you to submit through a priest (agent).

But Managers are hungry and no Agent I ever knew was ever on a diet. I have had pretty good success with compelling CLs that had their tongues hanging out.

The carrot you're offering them is a lead role. Keep it focused on that and why it is in their interest to read it. It's the opposite of the strait-laced query and pitch because -- artist to artist -- you can put a little dream spin on it.

So make the letter read like it came from a writer who knows something about the actor, their possible aspirations, and what they might want to achieve or do in a project.

N

Comment

^Sound advice.

For the record: my query to the indie director was like a pitch - I put forth the synopsis as crisply as possible, then added the fundamental judgement question that propelled the concept.
          I was a damn good concept, but that agent at William Morris never got back to me despite my forwarding the assistant's reply, the second time around.

Produciton companies are interested in work for their star - that's why they exist. You have a role for Jacky Chan, his boys are always on the look-out.
          I'd still go for the star via their own prod' co., but if there isn't one, go for the manager... those people seem more human.
          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Production companies started by actors are a great place to begin.

But I just got rejected by the manager first, and the lawyer 2nd, for a young actor (without a prodco).

So, as a last resort, I turned to the agent.

Surprise, surprise, through an alert Assistant, I was put on the phone with the agent after 2 weeks. These are not "A" list folks, but he is a damn hot actor with agent from a well-known firm. They are not small potatoes.

So, while it seems "typcial" that agents block you ... you never know. Try them all.

My conclusion? NAIL your pitch, rehearse it, nail the logline, nail "why" this is perfect for the actor and flatter them.

The agent talked a lot about the failures of Letters of Intent ... but hey ... it's a place to start. The agent seemed most impressed when I talked-up the actor's ability and linked that to my lead role. It also helped when the agent dropped the name of a movie that is in post-production and said "Actor had to drop out of that movie." I was prepared and knew who replaced him.

I imagine this is a total gamble with A list actors. I would also make a list of your A list choice, B list choice and even C list to give yourself some sanity in the quest. EDIT: Do this because along the way, you may encounter a manager or lawyer who says "hey, I love that idea, can I read it for my client?" While not your first choice, that actor could very well get the script made / optioned / bought.

Good luck!
            Last edited by RichMike; 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM. Reason: brain freeze
            a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
              C:

I always liked the way you could make it rain so here's the straight 411.

Manager and / or agent in that order (ain't I a tease?).

A Production Company may want you to submit through a priest (agent).

But Managers are hungry and no Agent I ever knew was ever on a diet. I have had pretty good success with compelling CLs that had their tongues hanging out.

The carrot you're offering them is a lead role. Keep it focused on that and why it is in their interest to read it. It's the opposite of the strait-laced query and pitch because -- artist to artist -- you can put a little dream spin on it.

So make the letter read like it came from a writer who knows something about the actor, their possible aspirations, and what they might want to achieve or do in a project.

N
              Hi noRm.

Thanks a bunch. Just off the top I sense yer on of the sharpest cats on here. Been playing possum huh? Terrific ideas. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMike View Post
                Production companies started by actors are a great place to begin.

But I just got rejected by the manager first, and the lawyer 2nd, for a young actor (without a prodco).

So, as a last resort, I turned to the agent.

Surprise, surprise, through an alert Assistant, I was put on the phone with the agent after 2 weeks. These are not "A" list folks, but he is a damn hot actor with agent from a well-known firm. They are not small potatoes.

So, while it seems "typcial" that agents block you ... you never know. Try them all.

My conclusion? NAIL your pitch, rehearse it, nail the logline, nail "why" this is perfect for the actor and flatter them.

The agent talked a lot about the failures of Letters of Intent ... but hey ... it's a place to start. The agent seemed most impressed when I talked-up the actor's ability and linked that to my lead role. It also helped when the agent dropped the name of a movie that is in post-production and said "Actor had to drop out of that movie." I was prepared and knew who replaced him.

I imagine this is a total gamble with A list actors. I would also make a list of your A list choice, B list choice and even C list to give yourself some sanity in the quest. EDIT: Do this because along the way, you may encounter a manager or lawyer who says "hey, I love that idea, can I read it for my client?" While not your first choice, that actor could very well get the script made / optioned / bought.
                Hi richmIke.

Very confident and aggressive approach. Takes ballz to get noticed 'cause there are so many peddling.

My forte is selling my ass off--no I'm not a prostitute-- so I think the avenue you suggest would dovetail nicely with my skill-set. (I write better than I sell... at least I like to think so)

Thanks and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                  C:

The carrot you're offering them is a lead role.

N
                  Sorry but unless you're a producer ready to start production on a film and sign a check, you are NOT offering them a lead role. You're offering them the chance to read yet another script in the hopes that they'll like it so much that they'll attach themselves to the project so that you can then try to use that as leverage to attract a producer, director, agent or what not.

Agents are interested in money and in most cases will ask to see proof of cash in the bank. I've actually heard that there is A talent who ask for 50 grand just to read a script.... anyway, by far the best is to target actors with their own production companies, I agree, even though most of these so called "production companies" have zero power. No studio exec is going to greenlight a film just because some young kid who had a couple of movies started his own "company" and is attaching himself to a project. Only a handful of actors have any real power.

Anyway, try everything obviously, but usually money is what talks, which is unfortunate but also completely understandable. Unless you're going the indie route, but it sounds to me you're aiming for a studio flick, right ?

The good thing about agents if you get one on board is that they could try to attach other elements and package the project. Good luck C.

Comment

Originally posted by Charisma View Post
                    I'm curious to hear/see DDer thoughts on which route they feel is the best strategy to get a script to a star.
                    A good producer.
                    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Amigo C,

Here’s a little-known route that’s worked for more than a few unrepped screenwriters in the past:

A-list stars have plenty of B and C-list friends and character actor friends whom they socialize with frequently (Clint had one bit part player friend that he always managed to work into all of his “Dirty Harry” films and a few beyond those). Usually some common off-camera interest like motorcycles (Arnold with Ray Sharkey), sailing, vintage cars, art, sport obsession, etc. has made them close friends who spend a lot of time together.

Visualize a few of these B and C-list actors playing roles in your script, being sure that their looks, physical type (or age), and previous roles make them in no way suitable as the lead, so they’re comfortable reading for a specific role other than the lead.

Anyone reasonably informed or gossip-minded about Hwd socializing (knowing who pals around with whom) can tell you the names of the frequently cited buddies of your ideal star.

Then you submit to the B and C actors via their reps and/or the production companies a number of them have. Mention the specific part that the actor would be perfect for.

If you gain any of their interests for secondary roles, you can be sure they’ll be thinking of their A-list pal in the lead as they read the script and odds are they’ll mention it to said A-lister.

And it's not uncommon that the A and B (or C) happen to be clients of the same agency, which is very favorable to your pursuit of the A.

Ernie

Comment

If this is about the Joe Gilliam/Steelers script, why not go straight to ESPN Productions? This seems perfect for them, star or no star attached.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                          A good producer.
                          Hi joe9alT.

I hear you loud and clear. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie Santamaria View Post
                            Amigo C,

Here's a little-known route that's worked for more than a few unrepped screenwriters in the past:

A-list stars have plenty of B and C-list friends and character actor friends whom they socialize with frequently (Clint had one bit part player friend that he always managed to work into all of his "Dirty Harry- films and a few beyond those). Usually some common off-camera interest like motorcycles (Arnold with Ray Sharkey), sailing, vintage cars, art, sport obsession, etc. has made them close friends who spend a lot of time together.

Visualize a few of these B and C-list actors playing roles in your script, being sure that their looks, physical type (or age), and previous roles make them in no way suitable as the lead, so they're comfortable reading for a specific role other than the lead.

Anyone reasonably informed or gossip-minded about Hwd socializing (knowing who pals around with whom) can tell you the names of the frequently cited buddies of your ideal star.

Then you submit to the B and C actors via their reps and/or the production companies a number of them have. Mention the specific part that the actor would be perfect for.

If you gain any of their interests for secondary roles, you can be sure they'll be thinking of their A-list pal in the lead as they read the script and odds are they'll mention it to said A-lister.

And it's not uncommon that the A and B (or C) happen to be clients of the same agency, which is very favorable to your pursuit of the A.

Ernie
                            Hi ErniE,

Absolutely brilliant idea--- as usual. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by hdmdc View Post
                              If this is about the Joe Gilliam/Steelers script, why not go straight to ESPN Productions? This seems perfect for them, star or no star attached.
                              Hi hdmdC,

Yeah---- First Black Starting QB in NFL history. Hmmmm. Thought I'd get a nice name for some juice--- ya only get one shot
                              at the target with each company. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for the insight and suggestion. Hmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X