Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PARALLAX VIEW--I'm gut sick.

Just saw PARALLAX VIEW--*very* cunning/smart villain's plan, I'm kicking myself for not figuring it out. Made me gut sick for the protagonist--poor SOB. Smart use of bookends, too.

This showed me the intellectual and *emotional* power of an excellent conspiracy thriller. Ties in with my earlier thread:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=59432

FYI: If anyone else wants to chime in on my previous questions, I'm grateful!
    Last edited by SNAFU; 01-08-2011, 02:09 PM.

Re: PARALLAX VIEW--I'm gut sick.

One of my favorite movies - and has some great action scenes. The bar fight looks real (kind of messy) and the car chase that ends in the supermarket has some cool ideas in it (mud covering the windows, etc).

Though everyone talks about the visual test, I love the written test - the questions are great!

My friend Chuck did the fall from the Space Needle in that early scene.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Yep, great and relatively little known film -- amazing timing, too, given the political climate and paranoia then. I liked the way the director used "overwhelming" visuals of symbols of "power" to show how ineffectual a "righteous" inquirer is against the system. That imagery still holds true today.

Comment

I love that Beatty's able to buy a ticket once he gets on the plane. Ah, those were the days. And all that smoking!

HH (who likes the movie, but doesn't think it holds up well after an initial viewing)

Comment

One of my all-time favs. An underrated gem.

I felt more paranoid watching this than any horror flick. Cronyn, Prentiss, and Daniels were superb and the script and direction made up for Beatty's rather stiff performance. Gordon Willis's photography was also grand. Pakula did an amazing job creating atmosphere. God rest him.

I had the opportunity to thank Beatty earlier this year for PV. He was more excited to hear that than to receive praise from BONNIE & CLYDE.

- RG (who likes the thread but doesn't think it'll stay in the Screenwriting Forum)
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
            I love that Beatty's able to buy a ticket once he gets on the plane. Ah, those were the days. And all that smoking!

HH (who likes the movie, but doesn't think it holds up well after an initial viewing)
            It used to be fun racing onto the New York-DC shuttle with seconds to spare, collapsing into a seat and then buying a ticket. (Especially good not having to remove your shoes, belt, switch on your laptop, forfeit your toothpaste because although the tube's near empty it's above regulation capacity, then go through the genital inspection scanner.) And even though the movie has aged, it's an example of great writing.
            "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
              go through the genital inspection scanner.
              If this was satire, expect it to soon be reality.
              Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                If this was satire, expect it to soon be reality.
                Soon? Perhaps you mean 'already'. It's kinda creepy how some things so Orwellian have crept into daily life.

Comment

They seriously have genital scanners in American airports?

I hope that you're kidding me.
                  Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
                    It used to be fun racing onto the New York-DC shuttle with seconds to spare, collapsing into a seat and then buying a ticket. (Especially good not having to remove your shoes, belt, switch on your laptop, forfeit your toothpaste because although the tube's near empty it's above regulation capacity, then go through the genital inspection scanner.)
                    That's the most hilariously depressing thing I've read all year. Or at least since noon.

Only saw the film once several years ago and I either fell asleep or was rendered unconscious by other means, cause I don't remember a damn thing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                      They seriously have genital scanners in American airports?

I hope that you're kidding me.
                      No, none of those procedures (removing shoes, scanner etc.) is a joke. The new scanners are able to see through clothes to the physical outline of the body, so the security personnel see an image which reveals every detail of the person's anatomy. As you can imagine, not all airline passengers are happy about this.

Comment

Excellent film. Pakula is a very underrated director. He really made some of the best paranoid conspiracy thrillers of all time: ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, PARALLAX VIEW, KLUTE. I've only seen this one once though, I should watch it again as I don't remember the plot specifics.

Also I recently traveled to the land of the free and had my junk scanned at the airport. There's a simulated picture of what the security people can see posted next to the machine. Kind of looks like an anatomically correct Silver Surfer. I don't really give a sh!t to be honest. As soon as they put it in TOTAL RECALL it was bound to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                          Also I recently traveled to the land of the free and had my junk scanned at the airport.
                          This is the land of the free. Didn't you know you had a choice? If you didn't want your junk scanned you could have had it frisked.

Comment

You can see the influence of The Parallax View in several films, some in terms of story, others the look and feel. Arlington Road, The International, Michael Clayton, and many others...

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                              Also I recently traveled to the land of the free and had my junk scanned at the airport.
                              We scan junk here in American, too...the home of the slave.

Comment

Working...
                              X