How the hell are they going to release The Beaver?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the hell are they going to release The Beaver?

Seriously, how the hell do you release a comedy like that with Mel Gibson in it?
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Re: How the hell are they going to release The Beaver?

I'd shelve it for a few years. It was poorly cast to begin with. There's the go to guys for these sorts of films, and then there's the don't go to guys. Sometimes I just don't get HW, this wasn't the safe bet, the smart bet, the right bet to make. I think it's time Mel hanged up the acting career and got into Australian politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
      I'd shelve it for a few years. It was poorly cast to begin with. There's the go to guys for these sorts of films, and then there's the don't go to guys. Sometimes I just don't get HW, this wasn't the safe bet, the smart bet, the right bet to make. I think it's time Mel hanged up the acting career and got into Australian politics.
      I'm happy for you to keep him in the land of his birth.

Gibson and Palin on a joint ticket sounds just about right.
      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I can see him becoming mayor of a small outback town and writing policy on the management of cane toad population. But not wanting to go off topic, I would love to discuss the practicalities of this difficult situation of releasing a big comedy film starring a man who is in a very bad light right now.

Comment

But not wanting to go off topic, I would love to discuss the practicalities of this difficult situation of releasing a big comedy film starring a man who is in a very bad light right now.
          It will be easy once they reveal that Mel was merely practicing lines from a new screenplay. As long as they don't reveal that the screenplay was autobiographical in nature.

But seriously, these latest rants have increased my morbid curiousity in seeing a truly deranged man pretending to be a deranged man. Will he merely be toning down his real self? If the rants are true, that is. Sadly, I think they are.

Even more sad, I think thay may try to capitalize on the controversy.

Comment

There may be some curiosity if it comes out soon, but I think the film will tank, particularly if given a wide theatrical release.

More likely it will go straight to cable & DVD with little fanfair. Reported budget is $19M (which shows how far Gibson's stocks have dropped) so it will probably make money in the long run.
            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

they have to shelve it. and the producers should sue him for breach of contract based on a morals clause (if they have one).
              http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...listen-it-here

last week his agent died...http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=56040 before he had to hear this. i don't know him of course but i'm glad he missed it. it's like being an attorney for a serial killer. embarrassing to say the least.

Comment

It seems that his agency had actually dumped him a while ago, but had agreed to not publicise it.

BTW, on the politics issue: Australia has a female Head of State (the Queen), female Governor general & female Prime Minister.

Any rant against his girlfriend is going to be pretty unpopular in Aussie politics - no matter what he says. He wouldn't be popular here.

----

But to get back on topic - I really feel for the producers of 'The Beaver'. It was risky in the first place but now with ..?

I can't see it being released widely right now.

Mac
                New blogposts:
                *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

I don't think THE BEAVER could have been made without someone of Gibson's stardom working for cheap as a favor to the director. Scripts this... unusual... need someone like Jim Carrey (mentioned in the script) to lend their name and stardom so that the thing will at least break even and maybe make some money (probably topping at $38m).

But, I'd release it anyway and use the bad publicity as publicity.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

it took a while to get that radaronline rant out of my head. now that i think of it... it would be great dialogue in a flick with a huge jerk. way of the gun comes to mind -- the rant against sarah silverman's character.

Comment

I have an idea-- He can blame the Beaver for his rant. It was the Beaver talking! Mel is innocent!

Of course, then he has to chop off his hand.

Comment

The whole point of The Beaver is to showcase an unlikely person walking around with this beaver. Who's more unlikely -- Jim Carrey or Mel? And it's low budget is no gauge on his career. It's basically an indie that got EXTRA money because of the talent involved. Mel's career was actually in good shape. He had a couple movies in the can and a couple ready to go.

With that said. I think he's finished. It's way too close to that incident a few years ago. The timing is bad. It's too much too soon. He's a drunken bigot in the eyes of the world. More than that he's just an a$$hole. And even more than that he's a threat to women -- women who buy a lot of his movie tickets.

He'll quietly fade away, maybe direct another movie he finances himself. But it will flop. He's got enough money to do anything so if his career is dead, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                          Seriously, how the hell do you release a comedy like that with Mel Gibson in it?
                          I know someone who's seen a cut of it. It's not a comedy. It's a drama about a mentally-ill man with some laughs in it.

Depending on what Mel does in response to this (like if he takes responsibility for his actions), Summit could still make it work. Summit after all, bid for and won the domestic distribution rights for The Ghost Writer at the height of the Polanski thing. They platformed it fairly well.

Now obviously Mel is more high profile than Polanski, but I'm just saying that The Beaver has a fighting chance (and it's always been a hard-sell anyway). The movie lucked out that Summit picked them up as it looks like they might be the only studio that would have the balls to still release it, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by malfernan View Post

Summit after all, bid for and won the domestic distribution rights for The Ghost Writer at the height of the Polanski thing. They platformed it fairly well.
                            Polanski has a lot of sympathizers, particularly in this business. In NY and LA there's clearly more support and respect for him than there is dislike. And those cities really opened that movie.

Gibson, however, should have a lot less sympathizers. In a matter of 4 years he's offended Jews, Blacks, Mexicans and women (twice now). His sympathizers are Christians in the middle of the country. And they don't go see beaver hand puppet movies.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                              Polanski has a lot of sympathizers, particularly in this business. In NY and LA there's clearly more support and respect for him than there is dislike. And those cities really opened that movie.

Gibson, however, should have a lot less sympathizers. In a matter of 4 years he's offended Jews, Blacks, Mexicans and women (twice now). His sympathizers are Christians in the middle of the country. And they don't go see beaver hand puppet movies.
                              As a Christian, I'm offended that people might assume I sympathize with him. He's an idiot. On top of everything else, he apparently knocked two of his girlfriend's teeth out, which is part of what freaked her out enough to record him. That same article also says she got him on tape saying he'd burn her f-ing house down, but not before she blew him.

I think Mel's talented, but I hope he crashes and burns for this. I can put up with someone saying stupid stuff to an extent -- I still like Tom Cruise -- but when you start spewing loads of hate speech and then start HURTING people... fvck that.
                              QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Working...
                              X