Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Note To Gucci: Mazin's Point On "Summing Up Your Characters"

Stop Saying His Name We're All Drunk Enough!

Comment

For what it's worth Gucci, I think you did a fantastic job. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        Stop Saying His Name We're All Drunk Enough!
        Ha!
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
          For what it's worth Gucci, I think you did a fantastic job. Thank you for sharing.
          Thanks agin for the nice words! Can't please everyone, which is probably why I don't try to. Ha!
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I forgot to ask -- are these Mazin quotes from the podcast like i was assuming or is it from this board?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post

Mazin has made it clear, when it comes to character introductions, he believes your style is "not good craft.-
              Eh.

I see all types of character intros -- from sold stuff. Regardless of what anyone thinks of scriptshadow, here are some character intros from a SOLD SPEC screenplay from a pro writer that sells specs -- you won't like them either.

http://scriptshadow.net/screenplay-review-the-has-been/

JoeNYC -- everyone can criticize everything. And they do. For instance, YOU could post something of yours so everyone can have fifty different opinions on it -- then you'll get what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

here are some character intros from a SOLD SPEC screenplay from a pro writer that sells specs -- you won't like them either.
                If I'm comprehending your post to me correctly, you seem to think that I agree with Mazin that summing up characters is "not good craft." If so, that's not correct. I don't agree with that.

Gucci kept thinking that if Mazin read his script, the HYBRID UNDERGROUND script, Mazin would be okay that he summed up his characters because he SHOWED everything, eventually, later on screen.

The purpose of this thread was to show Gucci that, no, Mazin's opinion was dogmatic about it. He doesn't like when a writer, pro, or non-pro, summarizes their characters on their introductions.

I also started this thread to have a further discussion on SHOWING and TELLING when introducing characters.

Comment

Instead of listing a page-worth of examples of why a pro WOULD CONDEMN a specific done dealer's character descriptions, you could have posted YOUR OWN WORK on the board to compel discussion.

But you didn't. It's suspect.

Comment

Instead of listing a page-worth of examples of why a pro WOULD CONDEMN a specific done dealer's character descriptions, you could have posted YOUR OWN WORK on the board to compel discussion.

But you didn't. It's suspect.
                    Damn, figment, you're implying I'm a coward. I've constantly posted work over the years for members to review and criticize. I'm not afraid of feedback.

I LOVE FEEDBACK.

In my post #21 in this thread, I gave an example of the TELLING form for one of my own character introductions in my teen romantic drama.

Right now, I've got pages posted for my teen romantic comedy in the script pages forum.

If Done Deal (Will) doesn't mind, I'm willing to post my first opening 10 pages from my newest screenplay, AMERICAN SLAVES, publicly, right here, right now, to be scrutinize and criticized.

After all these years of knowing me in the context of Done Deal, I've got no idea why you would take me for a coward.

Comment

After all these years of knowing me in the context of Done Deal, I've got no idea why you would take me for a coward.
                      In the context of THIS THREAD, you, at length, quoted a pro about all the ways in which he would condemn an unsuspecting fellow DD's work. Not your own work, someone else's.

If someone did that to you, I think it might piss you off a bit.

It's shifty. And suspect. And not cool. <--- it's all these things.

Comment

Re: Note To Gucci: Mazin's Point On &quot;Summing Up Your Characters&quot;

Damn, figment, you're implying I'm a coward. I've constantly posted work over the years for members to review and criticize. I'm not afraid of feedback.

I LOVE FEEDBACK.

In my post #21 in this thread, I gave an example of the TELLING form for one of my own character introductions in my teen romantic drama.

Right now, I've got pages posted for my teen romantic comedy in the script pages forum.

If Done Deal (Will) doesn't mind, I'm willing to post my first opening 10 pages from my newest screenplay, AMERICAN SLAVES, publicly, right here, right now, to be scrutinize and criticized.

You don't need Will's permission to post ten pages. The guidelines of the forum state that you can post up to "5 pages at a time," so there's nothing stopping you from posting them. For example you could do something like this

First thread..
                        TITLE: AMERICAN SLAVES PAGES 1-5

Second thread:
                        TITLE: AMERICAN SLAVES PAGES 6-10

All set. Looking forward to reading them.

figment is not calling you a coward-- simply asking you to show your own work as an example instead of quoting a pro writer for your examples. I think it's a fair request.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

If someone did that to you, I think it might piss you off a bit.
                          Not at all. You know why? Because I'm confident in my writing and what I'm doing. And Gucci's no newbie. He has the same confidence where if a pro tells him summarizing your characters is not good craft, he's not gonna fall apart. Gucci knows what he's doing is not bad craft and this is what I wanted to get across to other writers.

Gucci said he had no problem with this conversation/discussion, so if he doesn't, then I don't know why you do and cause unnecessary drama.

In fact, this benefits Gucci, drawing attention to his work and writing, which has been nothing but praise.

If he sucked, of course I would never have brought attention to that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                            You don't need Will's permission to post ten pages. The guidelines of the forum state that you can post up to "5 pages at a time," so there's nothing stopping you from posting them. For example you could do something like this

First thread..
                            TITLE: AMERICAN SLAVES PAGES 1-5

Second thread:
                            TITLE: AMERICAN SLAVES PAGES 6-10
                            Thank you for the tutorial, but after being a member for over a decade, I believe I know how the SCRIPT PAGES FORUM works.

I asked permission, because the SCREENWRITING FORUM is not for posting screenplay pages.

figment's point was for me to post my pages publicly, and then be all humiliated as I get pummeled with criticism.

I'm not a newbie. I can handle criticism, if it's not personal, finalact4.

Comment

My point was not for you to be humiliated -- My point was -- if you want a discussion on how Craig Mazin (a now Emmy winning writer) would CONDEMN a Done Dealer's writing, then you should aim that at YOURSELF, not call out an unsuspecting Done Dealer.

I don't know why that's difficult to understand.

Your entire initial post was in bad faith.

Quit playing the victim.

Comment

So if you want feedback post the pages in the right forum and we can have a discussion on actual pages that may help you and other writers. Anyone that posts pages is brave in my book.

And it would give us something else to do around here. I love helping other writers and reading feedback because it helps me realize things I'm doing wrong too.

I joked in another thread, but I was serious too -- this is a teaching hospital. Except we don't save lives, we save themes, plots and sometimes act 3!

Comment

Working...
                                X