Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DREDD - to cut a long story short

(please note this sort of a private message to SundownInRetreat and not directly film-related so forgive me for going a bit off-topic).

SundownInRetreat, that is it. I am THROUGH with Judge Dredd. I am no longer reading any non-John Wagner Judge Dredd strips. Reason? This:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...y-writers-hint

That is the final staw. I couldn't care if it's a well-written Judge Dredd story, I'm not reading stuff like that. It's the final insult. John Wagner was upset when The Dandy went to an online copy only and he must be upset when other writers come up with lame stuff like this. Apart from Wagner's work on Judge Dredd - which is getting less and less - THAT IS IT. The character is dead to me (aside from Wagner's work). As for Rob Williams - shame on him for thinking he can get away with this stuff.

And Dredd 3D is still crappy. Just in case people don't know.
    Last edited by moviefan; 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• She Kwull???

Good news for anyone who cares. Since it's release on home video, Dredd has been a mainstay in the charts in the US and UK (hasn't been out of the top 10 in its homeland) and has been considerably outselling contemporaneous films like Looper and Taken 2 (both came out after Dredd yet couldn't keep pace) and is now back at number 1 in the UK and up to 32 in the US of A.

DNA will hold a meeting in the next couple of weeks to discuss a sequel - something no one envisaged after the indelible stain Shtallone left on the fwanchise sank the reboot to the bottom of the box office sea. Fingers crossed we get to see Urban reprise the role to ensure more mid-westerners bemoan the fact he never takes his helmet off.

Here's a refresher in the awesomeness.
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

And this is how CGI should be used in movies.

And who can forget hotshot?
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Dredd is the only movie I purchased on Blu ray since I bought my player two years ago. I have a couple films I got as gifts, but Dredd needed to be purchased immediately.

It's great go-to when I have friends visiting and we need to kill a couple hours. "Have you seen Dredd?" The answer is always no. And they always love it. The never-ending parade of Karl Urban one-liners mixes perfectly with a couple beers.

Sequel, please.

Comment

• Whoop! Whoop!

Dredd filmmakers actively pursuing sequel.

Still a long shot but considering its phenom run on home video........
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Was keen to watch this one. Finally got round to it and was a little disappointed. Personally I preferred the raid which for me (regardless of which came first) felt far more unique and less generic in its style and tone.

I'll be surprised if the DNA guys do a sequel given how far they pushed the boat out on this one in terms of budget -- which was almost 15 million more than their usual maximum.

Comment

It's on Netflix now so I watched it tonight. Wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it. I was impressed with what they were able to do on that budget. Hope they're able to pull a sequel together.
                "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

By all accounts it's gone into profit now and the DVD sales far outweigh its theatrical run and bodes well but we shall have to wait and see. On one hand the thinking is now people know it's nothing to do with Stallone's balls up that they'll flock to the cinema for a sequel but they also said that about Kick Ass and yet the fans didn't bother. Which is a shame as KA2 is the film of the year and better than KA.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

The success of Insidious 2 (I didn't even know there was an Insidious 1!) at the US box office:

IMDB: Boosted by a Friday-the-13th launch, FilmDistrict’s low-budget scarer sequel “Insidious Chapter 2″ beat expectations with an estimated $41.1 million, making it the largest opening in September for a horror film.

...proves the the producers' decision to go with a September release R rating with Dredd was a disastrous mistake. The producers - DNA Films/Rebellion/Reliance/IM Global - made a huge, rather naive mistake assuming a R rated action film would appeal to enough people.

If you look at IM Global/Reliance's recent film output, nearly all have been box office flops. Clearly they're not learning from their mistakes. Dredd 3D was doomed as soon as IM Global/Reliance agreed to make the film, and as soon as they decided to go with a R (US) 18 (UK rating).

If there is to be a theatrically released sequel - which is extremely unlikely - it will have to be PG 13 to have any chance of breaking even.

Personally I preferred the raid which for me (regardless of which came first) felt far more unique and less generic in its style and tone.
                    That's putting it mildly. Dredd 3Deeeeeeeeeeeee! was painfully unoriginal. I've seen tv repeats with more originality. If anyone has actually read 2000AD's Judge Dredd (by John Wagner) you'll know it has a huge backstory of weird, eccentric stories. None of this was in Dredd. If people want to see DREDD HARD then go watch Dredd 3D. If you want to see the proper Judge Dredd, start by buying this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...52164340,d.ZGU

http://i1.wp.com/www.comicbooktherap...size=268%2C400

Mega-City 1 faces total destruction. Block mania engulfs the city. And then when the city is in total anarchy - something absolutely mindblowing happens. The story ends on the greatest cliffhanger of all time.

Block Mania and The Apocalypse War. These are the greatest Judge Dredd stories ever told (imho). It's as epic as it gets. No exaggeration. You haven't lived until you've read these two Judge Dredd stories. They are that good. Please, please read these two stories.
                    Last edited by moviefan; 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan View Post
                      The producers - DNA Films/Rebellion/Reliance/IM Global - made a huge, rather naive mistake assuming a R rated action film would appeal to enough people.
                      1. The film eventually found its audience.

2. Nobody knows anything, including you.

3. A PG-13 Dredd can blow me.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                        A PG-13 Dredd can blow me.
                        Here, here.

Oh, and Lionsgate were the US distributors, so for those claiming to be so savvy, please don't always blame the producers for a release date.

As for a sequel: I'm not fussed... but The Raid 2 is filming (or in pre-production) and where I'm sure all those involved in Dredd are sick of hearing that title whenever the topic of their own film comes up, I couldn't resist dropping that titbit in.
                        Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Working...
                        X