No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why I Hate Script Contests And So Should You

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Over the years, thrillers have done quite well in the Nicholl competition, and a number have earned fellowships for their writers.

If you visit the Nicholl ceremonies page, you can read log lines for winners going back a number of years and for finalists for a few years.
    Thrillers are a minority of the winners though. Even when genre scripts win or place, they seem to have some other element, like a female lead in a traditionally male role, racial or contemporary issue.

I get the feeling that a thriller, no matter how good the concept or execution, would have a hard time getting noticed without these added elements.

Comment

I think this may be more due to the fewer number of entries in the Thriller category in general. There's a fascinating infographic that breaks down the scripts by genre in past years on the Nicholl's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/NichollFellowships/

I believe Dramas generally make up something like over 40% of the total submissions (Greg can correct me here), which tend to incorporate more of those "human interest" components you mentioned.

Originally posted by ScreenRider View Post
      Thrillers are a minority of the winners though. Even when genre scripts win or place, they seem to have some other element, like a female lead in a traditionally male role, racial or contemporary issue.

I get the feeling that a thriller, no matter how good the concept or execution, would have a hard time getting noticed without these added elements.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
        Over the years, thrillers have done quite well in the Nicholl competition, and a number have earned fellowships for their writers.

If you visit the Nicholl ceremonies page, you can read log lines for winners going back a number of years and for finalists for a few years.
        Cool. Thanks Greg.

Comment

Working...
        X