What is THE reason you continue to write?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is THE reason you continue to write?

I wrote just short of 8 years before getting my first real paying gig - staff writer on a TV show.

In that time I completed 12 features, 11 pilots, read hundreds of scripts, and moved across country to LA -- majority of it was unpaid time spent on the craft. You have to really be driven, persistent, outwork others, and be willing to learn every single day.

It's not for everyone and sometimes it just takes a while.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I am also one of those writers who has at least temporarily given up on screenwriting to focus on prose. The joy of writing remains the same (to answer THE question in the thread), but to be truthful, when I began to actually realize what "success" meant in Hollywood, it no longer seemed that attractive to me. I have no doubt that working on (or re-re-re-working) another person's ideas can be a fun and lucrative day job (like copywriting), but I already have a fun and creative day job, so for the time being, I'm going back to novels. Either way it's a long shot, but at least with a novel, it's your baby. And you can do it on your own terms--in between ski runs, for example

P.S.: Then again, I just found out that my new landlord's brother in my small mountain town has a Spielberg connection, so you never know

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
        I just found out that my new landlord's brother in my small mountain town has a Spielberg connection, so you never know
        Could that be a logline for a movie
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

This thread reminds me of, "The Iceman Cometh":-)...

I have a different dilemma. Been desperately looking for horror stories to produce for quite some time ($1-$3 Mil range). No luck there. Most of the stories that come to my mind have already been done (or something very similar). For whatever is remaining, Blum House Pictures has perfected the assembly line (no pun intended).

If anyone has a tight script that echoes with what EdFury said or logline that you want to co-write, please PM me.

Concentrate on a smaller story. Don't mistake smaller story for less story. You can tell a great story and still keep the costs down. Less locations. Less cast. Minimal scenes with extras, minimal stunts... Guns cost. Cars shots, car chases, cost.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangel View Post
            Been desperately looking for horror stories to produce for quite some time ($1-$3 Mil range). No luck there. Most of the stories that come to my mind have already been done (or something very similar).
            There's quite a few horror screenwriting contest winners that are in that budget range -- are you looking to produce or find a co-writer or to find someone who will write a script corresponding to your vision (as producers with development $ used to do)? And, hey, aren't you a screenwriter yourself, fallen? Why don't you just write the script you want to make? (Just curious).

Comment

Because I can.

Working on a web series, got my first words filmed and put on the internet today and I have more sketches being filmed this weekend.

So just got me 1 IMDB credit, took me three weeks.

**** Hollywood, I don't need the money, don't care for the bullshit and I have been immortalised.

Ok so I am overreacting, but it beats the **** out of being ****ed about by a bunch of muppets who know **** all for ten years.

My work gets made.

Oh and no ****ing meetings.
              Genius sees everything.
              Genius sees.

Posey Mund.

Comment

I keep finding stories that inspire me, a world that befuddles me, and an imagination that drags me.
                "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

I do it because I enjoy it, I think I'm decent at it, and by pursuing it for 15 years I'm unqualified to do anything else.
                  https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

And, hey, aren't you a screenwriter yourself, fallen? Why don't you just write the script you want to make? (Just curious).
                    A short answer - after writing & producing 2 features over past 10 years, I've come to terms with the fact that I will never become someone who can write a commercially viable story. Just have to look at micro-budget, unique horror stories that have come out in the past 5 years & their success measured in terms of ROI. esp. from the Blumhouse factory.

Writing a great story takes an act of God. I just don't have it.

--fallen

Comment

Continue to write? I have no idea how to STOP writing.

Comment

There's a bomb attached to my laptop that will explode if I type less than 50 wpm!

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                          There's a bomb attached to my laptop that will explode if I type less than 50 wpm!

- Bill

Quality.

So: like "Speed" for sad, old and friendless white dudes ?
                          Genius sees everything.
                          Genius sees.

Posey Mund.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                            You're lucky - Jigsaw has me strapped inside some crude contraption that's got an industrial pair of nut-crackers wired up to a beta version of Celtx. (must not type CUT TO - must not type CUT TO) But hey - at least it isn't Final Draft.
                            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'm relatively new to writing, but I do it because I still want to see more stories about interesting women. The amount of sexist dreck I read is insane.

Also, I've lived in Hollywood long enough now that it seems there's no turning back.

Comment

Working...
                              X