Austin Fest - Once Upon a Time in August...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Austin have commissioned salespeople? I've been called 4 times now by the same guy wanting me to buy a pass.

Comment

Ugh. Well, I got TWO thin envelopes (entered both a drama and a sitcom). Not even the second round on either, and for the first time, I'm not just disappointed, I'm also surprised. These are the exact two scripts that got me signed at a pretty good agency a couple months ago and I didn't even make the second round with either of them...??!! Wow. I really feel like shite. And there were only 500 entries or something. I feel ill. I was at least expecting second round. Sigh.

Comment

Suz, I was going to go if I made the 2nd round. Not having done that, I don't want to walk around being a big loser.

I'd rather stay in Maryland and hide.

Jami

Comment

you are not a big loser!

You're not even a little loser. A friend of mine whose script is a semi-finalist in the Nicholl (no S, Greg) didn't make it to the second round either. Another friend had the same thing happen a few years ago and another!

I know it hurts the ego when we're not validated. Trust me, I know. But the conference is not just about the contest.

Wait! Why am I trying to convince more people to go? If not many of you go, then I'll have more time with the panelists! Stay home, all of you!

Susan

Comment

Re: you are not a big loser!

Hey Jami ~ Didn't you win a Horror SP contest earlier this year? That hardly makes you a loser. If anything, you've got ammo to take to Austin with you (if you choose to go). I'd love to make the trip if I could afford it.

The two scripts I entered failed to advance as well. One was a Nicholl QF. So, what the hell does the AFF readers know? It's totally subjective.

I like Metallica - my wife likes Mirah Carey. Go figure!

WJ

Comment

It seems a lot of us who are former second-rounders and some who have placed in other prestigious contests were not in the running this year.

What is different about this year? Better competition? Different readers with different tastes?

Just curious.

Comment

Yes, I won Screamfest last year (anyone heard of that? ) with an earlier version of the same script that got dinked at Austin this year (which got me 2nd round and that nice note... blah blah blah...)

I just can't see myself going to Austin having gotten no where in the contest this year. OTOH, if Bill, Suz and I, along with other writers who have proven themselves elsewhere, can get a special discount and a nifty badge saying "Wrongly Dinked!" maybe I'll change my mind...

Jami

Comment

A special perspective

Maybe being 'wrongly' dinked gives us a special perspective on gatekeepers. We're now keenly aware of one more of the archetypical characters that Chris Vogler talks about...and Vogler's going to be in Austin...we can meet him on a new, spiritual plane! Or, just buy him a drink in the Driskill bar.

Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X