Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Don't chew the reader's food for him."

I've never done a vomit draft, and I balk at those who talk like writing one is de rigeur - implying you're green if you don't - but having said that, my carefully planned efforts probably read like vomit drafts.....
    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
      I've never done a vomit draft, and I balk at those who talk like writing one is de rigeur - implying you're green if you don't - but having said that, my carefully planned efforts probably read like vomit drafts.....
      Yup. I think it would be a very special writer who gets it right first time without any revisions.

As Craig said, find a method which works for you. For me, it happens to be a Ryman's pseudo-Moleskine (much cheaper) notebook and a uni-ball Vision Elite*

*if uni-ball would like to sponsor me, please contact me via this forum...
      @MacBullitt

Comment

I'm puking right now.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
          I'm puking right now.

HH
          Chunky?
          @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
            there is a difference between "spoon feeding" and "hand holding".
            to this day, the studio notes i get in my first draft (which is also like a second draft for i, too, am a bleeder, as opposed to a barfer) are -
            - where exactly are we here? how many days have passed from that scene?
            - exactly how much time does it take between this happening and that happening? where are we here?
            etc. general plot, fine, general characters, fine. its never that.
            its the stuff i forget about because i know the story so well. the first time reader wants to have a comfortable ride. frankly, its the stuff that will probably get cut out of a produced and edited cut of the thing. but i think a lot about a script as a first time ride out to the country. you need to really hold their hand. the first time you take a ride to the country, you're thinking - can this guy drive? how long is it? i have to pee? will we get lunch? there is the anxiety of a first time journey.
            the second time you take the SAME trip - it feels half as long. you are PSYCHED to stop at the custard stand. look at those beautiful cows!
            i always think because execs have bought my pitch and read my outline they're going to the country for the second time. they're not. first draft, first time.
            This is a real important point. My experience is only based on my reps and one producer but I get this completely. It's like you can't give readers credit that they'll figure it out. Clarity is key.

Comment

Working...
            X