Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Golden" hearted characters

Okay, we all know that the whore with a heart of gold is cliche.
    BUT it works. Sometimes it's a vital part of the story. I've never known any real, live, working prostitutes (sheltered, yes.) so I assume the profession includes all types.

My question is, are there any "bad types" that would be unbelievable as a golden hearted protag? Something that right off the bat you won't accept that character as the protag or their attempts to do right?
    Are you going to write "Trust me" in the query?"
    by BellaBella

Re: "Golden" hearted characters

Lawyers. And with "Snakes on a Plane" coming out, the attorney movie quota for 06 is used up.

Comment

A rapist/murderer that loves animals and hugs trees?

Comment

I doubt "pedophile with a heart of gold" would go over too well.
        Last edited by Optimus; 04-12-2006, 08:32 PM.
        "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

I don't believe in any character that is all bad or all good.... plus, that would be boring.

- Bill (mostly evil)
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

speaking as a one time whore (gilded heart) i'd have to say that prostitutes have the least to worry about should they decide to go straight...

pedophiles are bad

rapists are bad

drugs are bad

mmmmmkay

Comment

Originally posted by magicghost2977
              speaking as a one time whore (gilded heart) i'd have to say that prostitutes have the least to worry about should they decide to go straight...
              That would depend on whether or not they were "owned" by a pimp.

I'm not talking about the nice, fluffy pimps from extremely bad movies from the 1970's, I'm talking about the ones that carry guns, knives, straight-razors (yep, they're still out there) and are more than willing to use them on their 'property'.

Comment

OK, so human flesh peddler with a heart of gold is out.

A cunning serial killer with a heart of gold.

An unrepentant Nazi doctor with a heart of gold.

A weapons of mass destruction designer with a heart of gold.

Yet give them all a weakness that makes them human and they might be capable of believable acts of human kindness that runs contrary to how we see them. An unrepentant Nazi doctor... who will do anything to save his young daughter.

-Derek
                My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
                Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus
                My web page!​

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso
                  OK, so human flesh peddler with a heart of gold is out.
                  Not necessarily. Scripter1 should be able to figure out a few possibilities. Besides, not all prostitutes are part of a stable, there are plenty of independents working the streets as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott T
                    That would depend on whether or not they were "owned" by a pimp.

I'm not talking about the nice, fluffy pimps from extremely bad movies from the 1970's, I'm talking about the ones that carry guns, knives, straight-razors (yep, they're still out there) and are more than willing to use them on their 'property'.
                    I've never understood this whore with a heart of gold thing. Doesn't it assume whores are criminals with black hearts by default?

You are better off getting a surgical cut with a well looked after straight razor than a blunt ebay/kitchen knife (I suppose it follows that if the pimp strops first, the girl still has a "future").

There's a good reason why straight razors are still out there--they give very good shaves! Far superior to any Mach 3 crap.
                    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT
                      I've never understood this whore with a heart of gold thing. Doesn't it assume whores are criminals with black hearts by default?
                      LOL! Only if the person who makes that assumption believes in generalizations and stereotypes. There are plenty like that, definately, but for every one who has the attitude that their life is worthless so there's no point in not getting hooked on meth, there are several out there who are capable of getting out out. Especially the younger ones who haven't been in the life long enough to have their sense of self completely eradicated. Or have their brains fried by the drugs they use as an escape.

Comment

The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

How about a Gatekeeper at a big agency?

Naaa, too unbelievable. Stick with the Nazis and serial killers.....

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT
                            And yes, I knew you were being ironic

Comment

Originally posted by scripter1
                              My question is, are there any "bad types" that would be unbelievable as a golden hearted protag? Something that right off the bat you won't accept that character as the protag or their attempts to do right?
                              No. If you have enough skill to write them. Pomposity aside, that is a truism.
                              http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X