Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Plug For ScriptGal (Amanda)

So, a couple of years ago, I tried an experiment where I used a phony name and sent an uncirculated new spec to a couple of script coverage services that people were talking about here. (Thread here.)

Andrew, the Script Mechanic, did a great job, and I gave him a plug - if you want to see what a professional with a great eye thinks of your script, he charges a fair price. (I'm not saying anyone needs to - but if you want to, he provides a good service.)

Amanda's joined since then (http://www.scriptgal.com/), and has gotten a lot of attention, so I thought I'd repeat my experiment. I have a new spec, so I used a fake name and sent her my script for coverage.

Her notes were really smart. She addressed some things that I'd meant to do but hadn't figured out a good way to fit in, and a some things that the producer I showed it to last week also mentioned. (And some other things as well.) Basically, she nailed everything in the script that I need to address, and had some good suggestions on how to do it.

So, A plus in my book for her analysis.

And then, as an unsolicited bonus, she offered the following: "if you are looking for representation, I would be happy to refer you to some agents and managers that I like and trust. I don't ask any fee for that - it's just a delight to help talented writers move forward."

I came clean about who I really was, asked her if I could start a thread about my experiences, and here we are.

A slightly off topic point, if I may: there are a few related memes that I've tried to stomp out for years. The first is "any deviation from industry standards on formatting/style/whatever from a newcomer will get you dinged by the gatekeepers."

To give you an idea of how nonstandard my formatting is, I don't open with the words "FADE IN," instead, I open with an entire scene in italics to set it off stylistically from the scene after it. (Plus bolded sluglines!) Shots galore, asides to the reader, "we see"s and every variation thereof...

The second meme is "sure that script by X got attention - it had a pro's name on it." The name I picked is purposefully one that has no credits, and without me asking, she offered her contacts to try and get the script out there.

The third meme is related to the second - "it's impossible to get read by a rep unless you're a relative/friend/whatever." People in the industry are looking for good writing. When they find it, they're eager to pass it along - it's doing both sides a favor.

So bottom line... Amanda does a great job, and don't worry about anything but the writing.

Hopefully she'll chime in.
    Last edited by JeffLowell; 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM.

Re: My Plug For ScriptGal (Amanda)

I may try her out on this new spec.

Comment

Jeff - great to see your sense of fairness on show once again. Only problem is that the link to ScriptGal didn't work! Can you re-link?
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

BDZ: She'll be more honest with you than your friends.

nic.h: Fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          She'll be more honest with you than your friends.
          Yeah, I kinda figured you guys were being disingenuous when you told me my so-called writing so-called "doesn't work." You, Craig, Derek, Todd... it didn't even make sense that you'd ALL react that way so I suspected player-hating.

If I deal with ScriptGal, hopefully she won't player-hate like you guys.

"Doesn't work on any level" Pff, yeah, right.

Comment

Woo hoo! Although I had already planned on using ScriptGal in the near future, it's good to know that she passed the "Lowell Mole" test. (Meant to rhyme.) I like knowing there's a good female reader out there - I don't know of any other legit ones at a reasonable price. Well, besides Julie Gray.
            "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

nic.h: Fixed!
              Thank you kindly.

Am toying with using her service and/or Andrew's. I have an old script with a sketchy past that seemed to ring bells but didn't kick any goals. (I'm on a cliche drive right now. You like?)

Think it's time I pay someone to tell me why since my agent won't.
              sigpic

Website
              Tweets
              Book

Comment

This is awesome.

My big fear with reader consultants in general isn't that they'd tell good writers they're good but that they'd tell bad writers they're good.

Amanda sounds like she wants to help all writers achieve their maximum potential.

Very cool!

Comment

Thanks for being a "mystery shopper".

What a great way of going about it.

Comment

Jeff,

Could I read this script? Loved Over Her Dead Body. Can pm my email if it's ok.

Thanks!

Comment

Iggy: doesn't look like we're going to go wide with this - just to one buyer. Because of that, I should probably keep it under wraps. If it doesn't sell to this buyer and we end up going out with it, then I'll send it your way.

Comment

I'll send it to you, Iggy!

I got a copy and Jeff knows it.

What now, Jeff? Huh? HUH?!

Comment

I'd be nervous if I thought you could find a two week old email.

Comment

Iggy: doesn't look like we're going to go wide with this - just to one buyer. Because of that, I should probably keep it under wraps. If it doesn't sell to this buyer and we end up going out with it, then I'll send it your way.
                            Well, hope it sells, then. Can you disclose genre/logline or is it all under wraps?

Comment

I'd be nervous if I thought you could find a two week old email.
                              Sounds like the Dolphin has a similar filing system to mine.
                              sigpic

Website
                              Tweets
                              Book

Comment

Working...
                              X