X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blacklist Secret Shopping Experience

Originally posted by Troy View Post
    If JeffLowell left the script up, would he qualify for the highlighted email?

I thought you needed at least 2 reviews with an average of 8 or higher. Is it an average of 8+ on the overall script rating? Or an 8+ average on any premise/plot/character/dialogue/setting rating? Wouldn't the first review have cancelled out the glowing second review, and not qualifying for the highlighted email?
    A single overall 8 merits inclusion in the Monday email that's circulated to all members interested in either screenplays or pilots, regardless of the other ratings it receives

If your script has an 8+ on any of the categories, it is included in targeted emails (that typically go out now on Wednesdays) to members who have specified interest in a specific category and/or genre.

The 2 rating (not evaluations, ratings) minimum applies for the real time top lists.

Comment

Thank you both for the information.

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
      My understanding is that one overall review of 8+ gets you in the email, no matter what the other ratings are. I think there's a secondary email where an 8+ in categories that pros have expressed interest in (like premise) get the script highlighted to those pros.
      Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
      A single overall 8 merits inclusion in the Monday email that's circulated to all members interested in either screenplays or pilots, regardless of the other ratings it receives

If your script has an 8+ on any of the categories, it is included in targeted emails (that typically go out now on Wednesdays) to members who have specified interest in a specific category and/or genre.

The 2 rating (not evaluations, ratings) minimum applies for the real time top lists.

Comment

Talked to Franklin, to make sure he didn't want to kill me. He didn't. Phew.

And after our conversation... the experiment will continue. I'm going to re-upload with my real name and rep info, and we'll see what kind of interest that 9 gets.

Stay tuned.
        Okay, now it's getting really interesting.

Comment

All right, there are 70 people viewing this thread. Did someone just blog about this somewhere?

Comment

Bitter Script Reader posted about it on Twitter.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Thanks, Emily.

I changed the title page to my real name and put the script back up on BL.

Comment

a) Very interesting experiment. And it will hopefully help battle the tide of 'Blacklist sucks a$$ because I got a 1 and my mom says I'm awesome' posts.

b) I sooooo want to see this series. Deep Throat/Green Door era New York? Why has nobody made this yet?
                My stuff

Comment

Just read Jeff's opening posts. They should end the matter once and for all.

But I get the feeling that as per the other BL threads, the Sour Ones will pay no heed. Worming their way to outlandish theories and faults so as to justify their low scoring. Their staunch belief and continued ignoring of fact to the contrary reminds me of the flat earthers.

You don't have to use it or like it but it's about time the hate was put to bed.
                  Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-07-2014, 01:37 AM.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

But in the Blacklist's defense - I got an offer of a discount on a second read to make up for that. .
                    I'm not sure that's the defense; it's more like the indictment. It seems the most commonly reported scenario by those buying two reads at once: disparate results followed by the discounted read offer. "Buy 2, get 1 at half price!"

But you can't start out with that offer, as if you were selling t-shirts or cans of soup, why would anyone need three reads? But if a new writer gets very different results, well, they don't know if the script is good or not. They need a tie-breaker. And those lovely folks at the BL so generously offer to give them a discount to get it.

It looks just like a marketing gimmick.

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                    But I get the feeling that as per the other BL threads, the Sour Ones will pay no heed. Worming their way to outlandish theories and faults so as to justify their low scoring. .
                    Just thought I'd mention I have never had a low score from the BL. Or sent anything to the BL.
                    wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

Originally posted by wrytnow View Post
                      It looks just like a marketing gimmick.
                      A marketing gimmick that the company makes nothing from (the fee goes entirely to the reader) and that happens 4% of the time?

That's a pretty dumb marketing gimmick.

Comment

Bottom line first: if I were breaking in, the Blacklist would be a no-brainer to try.
                        Correction, if you had spectacular material, and were trying to break in, the Black List would be a no-brainer. And herein lies the problem. NO AMATEUR WRITES SPECTACULAR MATERIAL. Which is why 99.6% of uploaded scripts lead nowhere, and only 1 out of 12,000 scripts are produced.

It's a catch-22. The BL looks for pro-level material, but to be able to write at a pro-level (like yourself, Jeff) requires years of industry experience!

I'm not saying the BL is bad, it's just a (statistically) futile way to discover pro-quality material.
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                          NO AMATEUR WRITES SPECTACULAR MATERIAL.
                          Of course they do. All the time. And it's what leads to them no longer being amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                            Of course they do. All the time. And it's what leads to them no longer being amateurs.
                            VERY RARELY.
                            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by wrytnow View Post
                              I'm not sure that's the defense; it's more like the indictment. It seems the most commonly reported scenario by those buying two reads at once: disparate results followed by the discounted read offer. "Buy 2, get 1 at half price!"
                              No it's not. As has been said over and over. Less than 4% suffer this. It keeps being pointed out - I keep pointing it out - but people choose to overlook it. Probably because it debunks their issues.

They need a tie-breaker. And those lovely folks at the BL so generously offer to give them a discount to get it.
                              Sigh. People see what they wanna (like the flat earthers) and ignore what they don't.

Just thought I'd mention I have never had a low score from the BL. Or sent anything to the BL.
                              No but you're a dissenter all the same with claims borne of wild conjecture and untruths and as a result were slammed by pretty much everyone across 4 pages or so when you called out LF for being a scammer with a bad rep on the internet (Reddit doesn't count - nor should it when anonymous people claim to be readers for major studios).

Remember when you pondered if the BL is not good for non-commercial fare? You were corrected yet there was no reply from yourself, not even a "fair enough" - just like you didn't acknowledge Jeff when he debunked every one of your claims that as a pro he's out of touch with unsigned writer tribulations. Re non-commercial scripts - it was me that pointed you to a number of signed, non-commercial scripts (McCarthy and The Shark is not Working) but you didn't reply so a week or so later I PM'ed the link to you - just in case you missed it - not to get you to swear allegiance to the BL but to see where certain doubts and unfounded (by all means, still dismiss it, just do so on rational grounds). Yet once again, your silence was deafening.
                              Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-07-2014, 06:27 AM.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post

Well, I totally misunderstood that fact, so good to hear.

Jeff: This is great that you took this on yourseff, and I think it's also good for Franklin Leonard and his team. Secret shoppers have always been a way to improve a companies service if the company in question is interested in offering the best services possible.

Thatnks, this is a great read.
                                FA4
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X