Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Wordsmithteer

Default Re: Proofreading Services

I will jump in and say ComicBent is an excellent editor, I have used him several times when writing papers while doing my Masters. He makes my writing better, while still letting me sound like me. He is also professional and prompt, and in general a stand out person and editor. Sad to hear you are no longer in business (fingers crossed hopes to quality under the "old" client rule
Wordsmithteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
ComicBent

Actually, Wordsmithteer, I was thinking yesterday about sending an email to you, just to find out if you were all right, what you were doing, etc., because I had not heard from you in a while.

I did not want to drum up business, because I really am trying not to take on any editing work right now, but I was wondering what was going on with you.

Thank you for your nice comment just now. In fact, when I made my remark earlier that some writers had expressed appreciation to me for making them better writers, I was thinking of you and one other person on this board who is primarily a novelist.

I currently have three writing projects of my own, and it is difficult to take on any editing assignments right now. I may do so later.

My projects, in order of priority (in descending priority) are:

1. A screenplay. Comedy. It involves a good idea that I have been developing for a long time; I just have not done the labor of putting everything together.

2. A manual of grammar and style. I have learned a lot in the last ten years of working with people on their manuscripts. Specifically, I have seen the areas of grammar and style that people have trouble with. Some mistakes come up again and again. My approach will be to produce a dictionary-style list (with in-depth discussions) in alphabetical order. You want to know about passive voice? Just go down to PASSIVE VOICE and find the discussion. This will be an ebook.

3. A sociopolitical-philosophical treatise. Also to be an ebook.

These are the reasons that I have stepped back from my editing role.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
EJ Pennypacker

Comic
I suspect if you did a grammar and style ebook for screenwriting I bet you would be onto something there
EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
ComicBent

Quote:
Comic
I suspect if you did a grammar and style ebook for screenwriting I bet you would be onto something there
EJ
Daniel,

Strange that you mention that.

My plan is to include a lot of screenwriting and playwriting issues. Tentatively, the scheme is to have a Part 1 for grammar and style, and a Part 2 for screenwriting/playwriting questions.

I am not a professional screenwriter. But you do not have to work in the film industry to know how to handle a great many things that people ask about. The underlying attitude of that section will not be: You can't do this, because they will throw your script away if you do. I recognize that a great many styles and techniques exist. But many people are just completely lost.

Okay, you are encouraging me to get to work.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
GI_Jeep
User

Thanks for the input everyone. I am just looking for a proofreader and nothing else. I just need someone to identify typos, punctuation, etc.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
GI_Jeep
User

Oh, and while we're plugging Amanda -- I agree. She's a badass. I've gotten excellent notes From her.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #17
goldmund

Oh, ComicBent is an amazing editor (and mega-generous, too!)

Nothing escapes this hawk eye! :-)

Good luck with your projects, Roland -- I'm especially looking forward to the grammar & style book!
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
ComicBent

@ Goldmund ...

Blaze, thanks for your kind words. I enjoyed your screenplay. I think you have a lot of talent, and you definitely need to keep working in the field.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
EJ Pennypacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
Daniel,

Strange that you mention that.

My plan is to include a lot of screenwriting and playwriting issues. Tentatively, the scheme is to have a Part 1 for grammar and style, and a Part 2 for screenwriting/playwriting questions.

I am not a professional screenwriter. But you do not have to work in the film industry to know how to handle a great many things that people ask about. The underlying attitude of that section will not be: You can't do this, because they will throw your script away if you do. I recognize that a great many styles and techniques exist. But many people are just completely lost.

Okay, you are encouraging me to get to work.
I'm glad to read this, and I look forward to seeing the end product!

EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
Wordsmithteer

ComicBent, those all sound like fantastic projects.

I am alive and well, this semester my master's course is all about facilitation, so no APA papers, the focus is on hands on practice. I've enjoyed facilitating sessions with artists and writers, turns out creative problem solving can help them
Wordsmithteer is offline   Reply With Quote