Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
MegaJon
User

Default Re: Great ideas, fast!

Is this a serious thread?

Just pretending to be a writer and logging into a writer's forum to ask for story ideas is enough for a few scenes. Then just ask, "What happens next and why?"
MegaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
robertcc
User

Or this one: http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/m...p?name=Logline

My favorite thus far:

Adolf Hitler grow(s) 50 times in size and go(es) on a destructive rampage and in the process learn(s) the true meaning of Christmas.
robertcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Levenger

One of the random generators gave me this:

A kindergarten teacher discovers a terrible family secret during the worst snow storm in a century.

Which, with some fleshing out, I could actually see as a movie.
Levenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Joaneasley

Think of commercial movies you like and see how you can plug something different into the plot to make it a new story. For example, Galaxy Quest was about actors on a Star Trek type show who were mistaken for real space heroes and captured by aliens, so they had to figure out how to save the real aliens and themselves in a real space battle.

How can you change that story into another type of person (not an actor on a TV show) who usually only pretends to do something but now gets into a situation where they have to do whatever IT is for real, and it's really difficult? That's a movie pattern I like. Find a movie you like where you see what the characters do, and see how you can make it similar but different.

You can't copy the story exactly. You can't steal the characters, but you can use the basic mechanics of a story with your own variations plugged in. You can change the genre, you can change the tone, change the age of the hero, the gender of the hero, the world of the story, the character flaw -- all kinds of things -- and create an idea that is different enough to work on its own, attract an audience of its own, and not seem like theft .

You can take a story in the public domain like a fairy tale and use the same characters but make it modern, or tell it from a different point of view. For instance, Wicked is the Wizard of Oz story from the POV of the witch.

Cinderella has become Cinder Fella and other variations over the years.

The newspaper is full of story ideas that can inspire you. Let news stories and magazine stories remind you of movies, or how you can fictionalize the news story into something that seems like something you would see in the movies.
Joaneasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
GregBrainos
User

Go meta. Story about a guy who needs a new story concept by Monday, but his best ideas come when he's not trying to think of one, so he spends the entire weekend trying to think about not thinking of one.

A screenwriter's Inception ("Indention?).
GregBrainos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #16
henryswanson12
New User

Thanks again for all your suggestions, guys and gals. Cheers.
henryswanson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
GI_Jeep
User

I pick a random person at the mall, restaurant, bar, chow hall, etc and I make up a story about them. Who they are,what they believe in, the greatest/worst moment in their lives and something is usually born out of it. Depending on my mood dictates how funny or dark their story becomes. But, yeah, there is no formula for ideas.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Jeep View Post
I pick a random person at the mall, restaurant, bar, chow hall, etc and I make up a story about them...
In Orson Scott Card's workshop, you have to talk to a random stranger, find out a little about them, and then make up a story involving some aspect of what the stranger tells you.

It does a couple of things, I think: people actually do like talking about themselves, and it gets the writer out of his (usually) comfort zone by actually speaking to someone.
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
DavidK

Pick up hitchhikers. They've always done some interesting sh!t.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #20
LauriD

Can you limit it to a particular genre/budget or does anything go? I have 126 assorted loglines I'm not using at the moment and would be happy to part with a few...
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote