Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #831
Phoenixman78
User

Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Here's the thing with the Black List website...

... almost everyone in the industry is aware of it because of the success of the annual The Black List where industry professionals are asked to vote for their favorite unproduced (at that time) scripts for the year.

Not everyone is going to know script consultants or writers who offer paid for notes. Personally, I wouldn't use anyone else's analysis of my spec in a query except the Black List.

The Black List can provide some "legitimacy" to a review that others simply cannot.
I've used the BL analysis in a query letter and it worked but if writers are aware of the reader issues then so will the industry. To say it's the only one you should use makes no sense to me. You've effectively called every other legitimate service out there useless when it comes to getting read by someone. If the BL is giving out 3s or 4s with bad reads what makes you think they aren't doing the same with 8s or 9s?
Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #832
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixman78 View Post
I've used the BL analysis in a query letter and it worked but if writers are aware of the reader issues then so will the industry. To say it's the only one you should use makes no sense to me. You've effectively called every other legitimate service out there useless when it comes to getting read by someone. If the BL is giving out 3s or 4s with bad reads what makes you think they aren't doing the same with 8s or 9s?
How about you not put words in my mouth, okay?

I said I wouldn't use anyone else's review in MY queries.

I didn't tell anyone else what to do, only what I would do. And I wouldn't use a consultant's review or a readers coverage in my query. The problem I see with using consultant/reader notes in a query as a recommend is that the person you're sending it to has to know the consultant in order for the "consider" to have value.

I haven't said anyone was useless.

The industry is looking for good material. If someone scores an 8 or above on the Black List, those industry professionals are going to check it out if it's within their needs. If it's not within their mandate/needs, the high score means nothing anyway.

The simple fact is that 8s and 9s and 10s will get people interested in your script. It will even get you read. They will not be thinking about the possibility of it really being 3s or 4s. And that's the key, they're looking for the possibility that they will agree with the high score.

But they aren't going to download a script that received 3s and 4s. That's the deal. Take it or leave it. Use it or don't.

If it's within their needs and the logline interests them they will download it and read it. If, at that point they are not interested in it, for whatever reason, because the reason doesn't really matter at this point, then that's the end of the line for your script with that industry professional.

Also, you should at least get permission from the consultant/reviewer to use their name and their review in a query that's being sent to anyone other than yourself.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 06-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #833
Phoenixman78
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
How about you not put words in my mouth, okay?

I said I wouldn't use anyone else's review in MY queries.

I didn't tell anyone else what to do, only what I would do. And I wouldn't use a consultant's review or a readers coverage in my query. The problem I see with using consultant/reader notes in a query as a recommend is that the person you're sending it to has to know the consultant in order for the "consider" to have value.

I haven't said anyone was useless.

The industry is looking for good material. If someone scores an 8 or above on the Black List, those industry professionals are going to check it out if it's within their needs. If it's not within their mandate/needs, the high score means nothing anyway.

The simple fact is that 8s and 9s and 10s will get people interested in your script. It will even get you read. They will not be thinking about the possibility of it really being 3s or 4s. And that's the key, they're looking for the possibility that they will agree with the high score.

But they aren't going to download a script that received 3s and 4s. That's the deal. Take it or leave it. Use it or don't.

If it's within their needs and the logline interests them they will download it and read it. If, at that point they are not interested in it, for whatever reason, because the reason doesn't really matter at this point, then that's the end of the line for your script with that industry professional.

Also, you should at least get permission from the consultant/reviewer to use their name and their review in a query that's being sent to anyone other than yourself.
The BL ain't the be all and end all of coverage services. Fact is their price is high for what they offer and they ain't the only game in town, just the most business orientated that has made a name for itself. Is the BL all bad? Hell no.

Also if I pay good money for coverage and I get a consider or a recommend from a legitimate service then that coverage is mine. I paid for it so I'll chuck it in a query letter if I want to. I think any coverage service is being quite naive if they think that isn't going to happen and at least with other services I've used I at least get an idea of the readers identity whether or not it's through an alias or their actual name, the BL gives you two things when it comes to that, jack and sh*t.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #834
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixman78 View Post
The BL ain't the be all and end all of coverage services. Fact is their price is high for what they offer and they ain't the only game in town, just the most business orientated that has made a name for itself. Is the BL all bad? Hell no.

Also if I pay good money for coverage and I get a consider or a recommend from a legitimate service then that coverage is mine. I paid for it so I'll chuck it in a query letter if I want to. I think any coverage service is being quite naive if they think that isn't going to happen and at least with other services I've used I at least get an idea of the readers identity whether or not it's through an alias or their actual name, the BL gives you two things when it comes to that, jack and sh*t.
My comments regarding permission were directed at consultants and paid for readers who offer notes.

Do what you like. Think what you like. It's your game.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #835
cvolante

ALL of the reads I've had in the past two years have come from queries that included quotes from the Black List.

And that's actually a really good thing to keep in mind: they ARE respected and the fact that it received glowing praise from the Black List DID mean something to them.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #836
Phoenixman78
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvolante View Post
ALL of the reads I've had in the past two years have come from queries that included quotes from the Black List.

And that's actually a really good thing to keep in mind: they ARE respected and the fact that it received glowing praise from the Black List DID mean something to them.
Do all of your queries have Black List quotes in them?
Old 06-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #837
Jimmy
User

So I got an email this Monday saying my replacement eval was ready to view. Went to the site, and it says "No pending evaluations."

I email support, don't get a response until Wednesday after I send multiple messages. I'm told they're working on it, should be resolved shortly.

Then yesterday I'm told that the problem is resolved. I go to check, and it's not. Same message as before from the site.

I relay this to support early yesterday, and I'm still waiting for a response as of writing this.

Not only did my original evaluation have blatant factual errors, not only did they obtusely dispute this claim before finally wiping the eval, but now I can't even view the replacement eval I've paid for and waited for all this time, and the support team seems pretty disinterested in resolving what looks to be a simple html issue.

Seems to be a lot of fumbling and bumbling at the BL for how respected they are.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #838
Jimmy
User

And no response all day, now past their stated closing time. Guess I'll have to wait through the weekend now.

This is getting comical.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #839
stainjm

Franklin - I'm a WGAW Associate member - do I still qualify for the discount on the Blacklist 2.0 site? Thank you.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #840
finalact4

Can anyone tell me what day of the week the top rated email goes out?

Never mind, got the answer, it goes out on Mondays.

www.LisaMolusis.com

Last edited by finalact4 : 06-20-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Closed Thread