DoD at agency wants to develop my script. Advice?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoD at agency wants to develop my script. Advice?

So he read and said he'd like to take on the project(!!), but he thinks it will take some significant development to get to a point to sell. This is the first time I've gotten anything more than a read request on one of my works, so not much experience with how to proceed from here.

My first instinct is to take his notes as religion and do whatever I can to get it out on the market. Anything wrong with this approach and anything else I should look out for going forward?

Thanks for any input!

Re: DoD at agency wants to develop my script. Advice?

agents don't develop scripts, afaik. in fact, in California, they're prohibited by law from being producers for their clients

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      agents don't develop scripts, afaik. in fact, in California, they're prohibited by law from being producers for their clients
      I should have been more clear. The guy in question is the Director of Development at Bohemia Group - which from what I can glean online is a management/production company, although in some places it's listed as a "talent agency" as well.

I don't know what the hell they are, but they like my script.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post

My first instinct is to take his notes as religion and do whatever I can to get it out on the market. Anything wrong with this approach and anything else I should look out for going forward?
        Yes. You are the boss of the script. Unless they are paying you, do not run off and do notes you disagree with.

The easiest thing in the world for a development exec who feels that the script is "not quite there" is to give you a bunch of notes. It takes him an hour. You can spend weeks or months implementing them. Then he reads it again, and has "a few more notes," again - an hour of his time. Weeks or months of yours. Repeat until you get sick of it.

Most DoDs don't know what they want until they see it. The guy has to convince you that his ideas are really going to move the project forward for it to be worth your time to implement the notes, unless you hear them and are like, "Wow, that sounds great!"

Comment

Thanks Ronald. I was searching around on the boards and found people saying just that, and it makes a lot of sense.

He really seemed to like it so I'm hoping the notes aren't too radical. Meeting with him next week so we'll see if he has any quality input.

Any non-obvious goals I should have going into the meeting?

Comment

I don't believe in unsellable scripts made sellable by a round (or 2 or 3 or...) of notes. YMMV

Best of luck!

Comment

That's awesome, Jimmy! Hoping for the best!

Comment

Originally posted by SBdeb View Post
                That's awesome, Jimmy! Hoping for the best!
                Thanks Deb, I try not to get my hopes up with this kind of stuff but it'll be nice to finally sit down face to face with someone in the industry who respects my work.

In the meantime I'll try not to dream too much about my future Hollywood Hills mansion and Ferrari collection

Comment

Working...
                X