Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Research and Resources
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Dimitri001
User

Default Picking locks

I have a scene in which I need a character to break into an apartment in a way that doesn't show signs of a break in.

So I have two questions/problems here:

1) One issue is that this is in a hallway of building so the method of picking the lock would have to be quick, something someone might reasonably try with the expectation that he'd be done before too long, before someone possibly walks by and sees him.

So, how long does picking a door lock take?

Also, I seem to remember seeing in some films someone getting past a door by sliding a credit card in between the door and the frame. Are there any locks on which this actually works?

Is there some other way he might get past a locked door quickly?

2) Does picking a lock screw the lock mechanism up or leave any kind of trace (other than the fact that the owner will notice the door isn't locked)?
Dimitri001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
UneducatedFan
Regular

Default Re: Picking locks

On the credit card method. This does work IF both the JAM that the door when closed, is up against is THIN and the only lock you are dealing with isn't a BOLT but has an angled side.

Like this kind:

https://www.handlesets.com/schlage-1...!s!83799563629!

It would work because the credit card is flexible enough to BEND between the small "L" created between the jam and door and then the angled part of the bolt (which enables the door to latch/click when it closes) can be pushed IN with the credit card.

However it would not work on a deadbolt or other straight bolt locks because there is no curved edge to have a credit card slide the spring mechanism back. They are STRAIGHT.

Picking a lock doesn't ruin the lock normally. Most locks have a TUMBLER mechanism where an inserted key raises and lowers the tumblers inside to the right pattern to unlock the door. Picking it just moves the tumblers up and down until the pattern is figured out that mimics an inserted key.

So no, picking the lock of a standard tumbler lock doesn't ruin it and wouldn't normally leave any indication it's been picked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_tumbler_lock
Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
jmpowell7
User

I suggest a few minutes' research on bumping a cylinder lock. Of course, whatever you write is what works.
jmpowell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri001 View Post
I have a scene in which I need a character to break into an apartment in a way that doesn't show signs of a break in.

1) One issue is that this is in a hallway of building so the method of picking the lock would have to be quick, something someone might reasonably try with the expectation that he'd be done before too long, before someone possibly walks by and sees him.

Also, I seem to remember seeing in some films someone getting past a door by sliding a credit card in between the door and the frame. Are there any locks on which this actually works?

2) Does picking a lock screw the lock mechanism up or leave any kind of trace (other than the fact that the owner will notice the door isn't locked)?
Look up lockpick gun. They seem pretty quick.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Mitchell McLean
User

Google "kwikset smartkey" to find a YouTube video, "How to Open a Kwikset Smart Key Lock in 10 seconds."
Mitchell McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
GI_Jeep
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri001 View Post

lockpicking set or a couple of bobby pins. no time at all if you know what youre doing.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:38 AM   #7
Dimitri001
User

Thanks, fellas!
Dimitri001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Margie Kaptanoglu
Regular

There are many videos on Youtube that show you how to pick all kinds of locks. I did some research on it myself a few months ago. Just do a search on lock picking. It's very helpful to see the visual demonstrations, though I'm sorry that potential thieves get to see that too.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com
Margie Kaptanoglu is offline   Reply With Quote