Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
cvolante

Default Distant writing partners

My writing partner and I live in different states.

Often right now when we brainstorm it's over email, text or Facebook messenger -- a combination of all 3 mixed in with other random conversations.

There's got to be a good way to organize notes/ideas/etc.

I think about teaching software like padlet where people can sign in. That's so far my best idea. Anyone have any better ideas for sharing ideas with a group or at least more than one person?

I'm not so much talking about the writing as I'm talking about the ideas, brainstorming, note card / bulletin board stuff... Any recommendations would be helpful.
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: Distant writing partners

If you are doing things more like beat sheets, outlines, treatments or even just a list of ideas for scenes, dialogue, etc. you could easily use Google docs and collaborate that way. I write on my own, but I have used G docs for working on other things and it does pretty well.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #3
StoryWriter

You might want to look at WriterDuet.

WriterDuet

It's built for screenwriters who collaborate. I think it does everything you mention.

I've used the Free version for around three years, but the Pro version does more for collaration.

If I remember correctly, one partner can change the script while the other watches the changes, and it keeps track of all revisions.

I'm just someone who uses it, occassionally. I don't have any relation to the company -- so as always -- buyer beware.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
cvolante

Thanks! I am happy MYSELF with FD or Google docs. Just looking for something that will work for both of us and won't have all the notes scrambled everywhere.

Last edited by cvolante : 11-03-2018 at 04:45 AM.
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
ComicBent

Some thoughts and notes ...

Fade In has a collaboration (in real time) feature. I have never tried it out. Has anyone worked with it? I think that the real-time tool may be fairly new. Not sure, because the idea of working with somebody in real time does not appeal to me at all. But I would be interested to know whether others have worked collaboratively in real time and whether it was really productive (in any program, not just Fade In).

I am the kind of guy who is going to work by himself. I have a hard time seeing real-time collaboration as anything but a gimmick.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote