Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #21
cvolante

Default Re: Producing a Short - Advice Needed

And this is the complete opposite advice from Robert Rodriguez at Cannes yesterday for his new $7,000 movie... and, of course, he's right.
He says JUST START. Don't wait til you're passionate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSpRaUl_lKE

(But you really need to want it, otherwise you might give up.)

Last edited by cvolante : 05-23-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Because you'd think a writer could spell "Cannes," wouldn't you? GAH.
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #22
finalact4

hi cvolante:
thank you for the thoughtful advice. i'm not really thinking about tackling a feature at this point, but thinking about how to do something that reflects what i write in some way.

as i thought about the shot of that one page, i suddenly became aware of just how expensive i write. these masterclasses have been very helpful. but i started to think of just all the dead people, the make up, costumes, and garbage. the location. the low angle shot of the little girl's feet as she runs past the camera, the shot of her spinning and the camera spinning around her in the opposite direction, the wide shot, the med shot, the shot to the sky, the shot of a bomber dropping its payload, the ribbon flying loose from her hair-- and the whole scene is like one minute to a minute and a half long. it is very humbling. but really exciting, too.

i certainly don't want to waste other people's time or money in any way. that would be disrespectful and i'm not that.

i'm going to start small. use my iphone for a bit, then maybe get a camera, if i'm any good at it. i've thought about this for a while. i keep coming back to it. idk, i'm drawn to the idea to direct something. i don't know how to explain it.
i want to learn how to pan up, down, sideways. experiment with depth of field. lighting. people. frame composition-- maybe my art background will now come in handy.

i have been on a set filming, so i understand a little (very little) about production and it looked seriously expensive. the lighting inside and OUTSIDE the window to maintain consistency as they shot throughout the day was something that never occurred to me. the time it takes for two actors to hit their stride when they've never met before was also something i hadn't considered. the sound boom, the camera(s) and of course all the people it takes to do one scene. reset it, start another take. i know it's a big deal. and even with this knowledge i accept that i will still be completely surprised at how difficult it will be.

unfortunately, one of the things people love about my writing is the very thing that is the most difficult, and expensive for me to do myself. i'll just have to learn to compensate for that. i'll have to find ways to shoot some things on my own. or at least plan it that way. i'll have to write something more approachable.

so now i'm learning more about the cinematic approach to non-verbal storytelling. it's really fascinating. dramatic. and powerful. the importance of things i've seen, but did not realize the psychological impact is eye-opening. i'm seeing films in a new, more enlightened way. now i have to watch a film at least twice. one for enjoyment, one to analyze what i love about it.

ii know i have to take the time to learn and practice, practice, practice. i may as well start gettin' at it, you know. i'm not sure how successful i will be, but i'm determined to try. to learn.

did you check out the trailer that vstm10 posted? it's beautiful.

i didn't mean to come off as so arrogant that i thought i can do this now. i'm just really excited about the opportunity.

i'm a single mom. when i started writing i knew i couldn't do it all. i knew in order to sustain the things that were important to me, i'd have to sacrifice... and i did. i knew this is what i wanted. i worked a full time job, i wrote every day for four hours, i took my daughter to all her sporting events, i worked out, but i gave up any type of dating or relationship because i knew, and no disrespect intended here, that a man would never understand my drive to succeed. for ten years i did that. and when i say absolutely no dating, i mean it.

most men just don't understand a woman with drive, and they'd be like, "oh, this is a nice hobby," or "oh, you really meant that you write every day from 8-midnight?" or "can't you take a break?" and it's like, no, i can't. so i refused to put myself in a position that could sabotage my dream. so i do understand the passion part, the dedication part and the sacrifice part. i just don't know the, "do i have it part." when it comes to directing ability. but i think i can do it.

writing will always be first. and i honestly don't know if i can do both-- write and direct. we'll find out over the next few years i guess.

i really appreciate everyone's guidance and advice. it's really good to know you have people willing to offer help without calling you a dumb-**** for even thinking this might be something worthy to tackle.

and if anyone is shooting in the North Dallas area and they need an extra set of hands, call on me. if i can get there, i'd love to help and love to get the experience on set. i know there's a women in flim here, so i'm looking to get into that somehow at some point.

thanks for all the support!
FA4

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #23
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvolante View Post
And this is the complete opposite advice from Robert Rodriguez at Canens yesterday for his new $7,000 movie... and, of course, he's right.

thanks for this. i've never given up on anything. haha. i'm German and definitely stubborn that way. probably not a great trait to have all the time, but hey, i be me.

i so wanted to go to Cannes this year. i started the research too late, though and it's an incredible undertaking to go as a "visitor." this was where ignorance is a problem. i can't complain because i'm going to scandinavia instead. maybe next year. we'll see. you only have like 4 weeks in march, i think, where you can apply for the cinema membership to help get you in, because you're considered "the general public" whic it's closed to, because it's a trade market that looks for buyers for distribution.

i had wanted to do the directors fortnight. and see all these amazing films and listen to the panels of the cast and directors. watched the Tarantino one yesterday.

thanks for sharing this, i'm such a sap, got all emotional when he said, "just start." i do however, disagree with him on the card alone thing. yikes! i need a script. haha.

i was thinking it was like Austin. nope. it's not.

thanks again, cvolante.

you know, i actually might be able to tackle on of the scenes in my rom-com. something to ponder.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #24
x32792
User

I have three produced shorts and three more currently in production - All done without my financial assistance. Yes sir, the good stuff - Other people's money...The true acid test (also read not vanity projects).

I've enjoyed my experience and lessons learned with shorts, but now feel it's time for me to focus my efforts on my NINE completed features and a pilot.

But hey, I'm just a peewee wannabe out here in the wilderness howling at the moon. In joking with someone here on DDP, I mentioned I'd written so much spec stuff over the past 8 years, I didn't know if I needed an agent, a manager, a lawyer OR an intervention?

Last edited by x32792 : 05-23-2019 at 11:54 AM.
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #25
cvolante

Holy f*ck.

"CANNES"
JFC.

Spelling.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #26
finalact4

Quote:
Holy f*ck.

"CANNES"
JFC.

Spelling.
ha! i didn't even notice.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 05-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #27
Bono

Quote:
And this is the complete opposite advice from Robert Rodriguez at Cannes yesterday for his new $7,000 movie... and, of course, he's right.

I love RR and I did not know he did this! I'm so out of touch!

He's always inspiring.

He tells the best story in I think Spy Kid 2 DVD commentary about how we just keep doing things because that's the way we did them before.

He talks about cooking a ham in the oven story and how he asks his mother why she cuts off the sides... and she says because my mom did it... then he asks his grandmother why she did it and she said because her mom did it... then you ask the great-grandmother why she cut off the sides of the ham and she says because my oven was too small.

It wasn't exactly told that way, but it was all about how we do things in film (and in real life) only because that's how they were first done. I always thought it was crazy brilliant in every way.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #28
cvolante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post

He talks about cooking a ham in the oven story and how he asks his mother why she cuts off the sides... and she says because my mom did it... then he asks his grandmother why she did it and she said because her mom did it... then you ask the great-grandmother why she cut off the sides of the ham and she says because my oven was too small.
That is SO funny because my grandma had a story like that about her grandmother making bread... some random weird thing they did with cutting it that had no real reason behind it.

I still hold on to the idea that you MUST be incredibly passionate about it. Someone was just talking about working for someone else on someone else's idea. You have to love it enough to give up all your time and energy on it and then someone else has control over whether THEY love it enough to pitch it, get locations, get money, etc.

I agree that you shouldn't sit around waiting for INSPIRATION. Open a new file and start writing, turn on the camera and start filming. That's all good.
But I think if you're going to spend your kid's college tuition money on a movie and ask others to devote their lives and miss dinner and family celebrations, you'd better all love the heck out of it and know in your bones that the story MUST be told and is insanely cool and vitally important.