No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linking up with producers early on

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I can't wait until we get to the point that only actual Nazis can play them on the silver screen... where unless you fought in WW 2 you can't pretend you did and of course if you pretend to be someone you're not in real life in every single way you are murdered.

I think you're talking about something else, but I'm stuck on this idea.

Like I don't understand how you can say only people in wheelchairs should play a wheelchair part and people that can walk shouldn't play them. Or if you're not gay you shouldn't play gay. Or if you're gay you can't play transgender. But isn't the goal that the wheelchair person can be the lead in a romantic comedy and the wheelchair isn't even mentioned? Like if Harry Met Sally and Harry was in a wheelchair, maybe there's 1 joke about it, but they just hired the best actor? Isn't that the goal. Isn't it almost worse to force people into roles where they can only play themselves?

Yes, I get there are so few roles for this type of person like Asian roles, but isn't the goal to make all roles just roles for everyone? That should be the goal. Sure it's weird when they cast a white lady to play an Asian part, but they keep casting dumb white men (mostly) to lead us into hell in real life so why should hollywood be any better?
    Ha! 1,000,000% agree!

Inclusion is not REAL inclusion if you're only allowed to play your mutha-fukkin stereotype. WHAT???

For example: Idris Elba IS the modern day Bond. Period! And don't make it racial. Do not mention his race through the entire movie. And no... "How do we make him do BLACK sh!t." That would be actual progress.

Do you meet a black executive (not that I ever have) and discuss their blackness? NO! It's irrelevant. Same reason I HATED Black Panther (seriously? Black people chucking spears... again? No!).

No apologies for my position on this....
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

As a 41 year old guy from Boston who loves to be inclusive but make jokes about race, religion and the like, I would do all those bad things if i was friends with the person. But that's the stand up comedian mentally and how I see the world. When people say they don't see race, I assume that means they're blind. I never understood that B.S. Yeah, I see she's fat. And he's not. And she's black. And he's white. And she's gay and he's not. But guess what, I may make jokes about it all, but they're all treated the same by me. With sarcasm and love.

Of course Idris would be a great bond. Just make sure he's not a black american guy -- that's just too much for them.

I didn't see Black Panther, but yeah I was thinking this seems vaguely racist. Which is always so Hollywood. Um, can we have a black spiderman? Maybe in the cartoon and don't worry we are going to have a whole black cast for this new superhero? Is it superman? Nope, it's Black Panther! Oh great....

Comment

As a 41 year old guy from Boston who loves to be inclusive but make jokes about race, religion and the like, I would do all those bad things if i was friends with the person. But that's the stand up comedian mentally and how I see the world. When people say they don't see race, I assume that means they're blind. I never understood that B.S. Yeah, I see she's fat. And he's not. And she's black. And he's white. And she's gay and he's not. But guess what, I may make jokes about it all, but they're all treated the same by me. With sarcasm and love.

Of course Idris would be a great bond. Just make sure he's not a black american guy -- that's just too much for them.

I didn't see Black Panther, but yeah I was thinking this seems vaguely racist. Which is always so Hollywood. Um, can we have a black spiderman? Maybe in the cartoon and don't worry we are going to have a whole black cast for this new superhero? Is it superman? Nope, it's Black Panther! Oh great....

Ha! Dude... we have the same brain. Yup. THAT!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
          Ha! 1,000,000% agree!

Inclusion is not REAL inclusion if you're only allowed to play your mutha-fukkin stereotype. WHAT???

For example: Idris Elba IS the modern day Bond. Period! And don't make it racial. Do not mention his race through the entire movie. And no... "How do we make him do BLACK sh!t." That would be actual progress.

Do you meet a black executive (not that I ever have) and discuss their blackness? NO! It's irrelevant. Same reason I HATED Black Panther (seriously? Black people chucking spears... again? No!).

My dad wrote for a conservative Washington DC magazine that was sometimes called racist. (Nothing like what's going on these days.) John was another writer there, who happened to be black. At a press party a liberal white guy introduced John this way to his friends: "This is my Black friend, John."

When I mentioned this on a different forum, years ago, I caught hell.

"Well HOW would YOU introduce him?", they demanded to know.

How about: "This is John?" or "This is my friend, John?"

Maybe it's just me, but I would think someone with a functioning set of eyes could probably figure out John was Black all on his own. And someone with a functioning brain wouldn't care what color John was. After all, he was a journalist at a party full of journalists.
          "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
            My dad wrote for a conservative Washington DC magazine that was sometimes called racist. (Nothing like what's going on these days.) John was another writer there, who happened to be black. At a press party a liberal white guy introduced John this way to his friends: "This is my Black friend, John."

When I mentioned this on a different forum, years ago, I caught hell.

"Well HOW would YOU introduce him?", they demanded to know.

How about: "This is John?" or "This is my friend, John?"

Maybe it's just me, but I would think someone with a functioning set of eyes could probably figure out John was Black all on his own. And someone with a functioning brain wouldn't care what color John was. After all, he was a journalist at a party full of journalists.
            Haha... RIGHT!? Everyone's "appearance" (black, white, tall, short, etc) is blatantly obvious.

Yup, "This is my friend, John." Unless he ain't actually your friend. Meaning, you don't like the dude. LOL. I'm not a fan of "ultra-progressive" liberals liking black people BECAUSE they're black. That gets into that creepy GET OUT territory.

Here's something no white guy ever said "This is my white friend, John."

Good story!

ps... interesting about your dad being a writer for a conservative DC mag. I have a conservative writer in my family too (white side) presidential speech writer. Maybe they knew each other? Though, I'm not conservative, I respect the workload and pressure the man dealt with as a writer. I can't imagine having the write a State of The Union in 24 hours then read to the world live.

Comment

i have literally said that line "this is my white friend, john!"

Another fun joke I like to say is I say something racist (as a joke) and then I said "It's okay, I'm a racist." And if they laugh, they get it. Because we live in a world where you can be a good person at heart, you make a mistake on social media or misspeak in public or at work -- you're a racist. Its not okay at all. If you're an actual racist like our current president, it's okay. Because you're just being yourself. Isn't 2019 great?

I don't know how I'm stuck in a world where now the people attacking comedy and logic are 99% on my side. How the hell did we get here? It used to be the other side saying that language is offensive, but now we swung so far 180 degrees that we are policing ourselves to death.

Comment

i have literally said that line "this is my white friend, john!"

Another fun joke I like to say is I say something racist (as a joke) and then I said "It's okay, I'm a racist." And if they laugh, they get it. Because we live in a world where you can be a good person at heart, you make a mistake on social media or misspeak in public or at work -- you're a racist. Its not okay at all. If you're an actual racist like our current president, it's okay. Because you're just being yourself. Isn't 2019 great?

I don't know how I'm stuck in a world where now the people attacking comedy and logic are 99% on my side. How the hell did we get here? It used to be the other side saying that language is offensive, but now we swung so far 180 degrees that we are policing ourselves to death.
                Totally agree... word for word.

Reminds me of a joke Ralphie May told (slips my mind), but after the punchline he says "It's okay white people, turn to your black friends, they're laughing, they get it's a joke... it's okay to laugh."

Real racism is something else entirely.

And yeah, when ULTRA-WOKE white people are calling me racist... yup, we've gone way to fukkin far with our collective WOKENESS. The out WOKING is a bunch'a bullsh!t.

To circle this back to screenwriting:

Example: Why am I told by a producer that my show isn't POC enough? EXCUSE ME? Dude, you're white, you don't get to decide that. I'm like... THAT is part of the POINT of the show, that there are NOT 'POC' in these power positions, but should be. What I was told back was "Maybe that's true, but let's set the example." (eye roll to the back of my fukkin skull) "Oh, you mean LIE? So that Hollywood can pat itself on the back for pretending to show what they're asking everyone else to do during their BS (WOKE) Oscar speeches, but refuse to do themselves?" Gotcha...

Comment

I have always felt that the self-inflicted ghettoization by minority filmmakers, gay filmmakers, comedians, female filmmakers etc. fuels that very thing that they oppose: marginalization.

What I mean is this: I totally understand that one's sexuality or ethnicity defines their lives (to some extent). But the most important thing as storytellers is to tell a compelling story, and if that story sucks it shouldn't get a free pass just because it was made with good intentions. I even question the intentions at this point .Take Valeria Lusielli, a Mexican writer who almost exclusively writes about immigration. She has taken on the mantel of "migrant writer- but is white, the daughter of diplomats, studied in private schools and lives in New York. Isn't that cultural appropriation too?? What does she know about indigenous migrants that I don't just by spending a year doing heavy on-the-field research?

This is going to be an unfocused ramble because it's early and I ran out of coffee - but I really like it when people step outside of their skin, literally and figuratively. There's a wonderful news report about a young, poor black man who somehow fell in love with Italian Opera and has decided that his dream is to become an Opera singer. Hell yeah!

You can find emotion and humanity in anything and that's exactly why we do what we do- to live vicariously through others; to connect; to quench our curiosity.

Shakespeare never traveled outside of England- and yet he wrote about Denmark, Italy, Ancient Greece etc better than most historians.

Imagine if Shakespeare were alive today and he decided to focus on his experience as a working class writer in Stratford on Avon: 30 plays of Elizabethan kitchen sink drama void of imagination .

Point is: it's on the artist to subvert his or her own stereotype. If you're a black man, why not make a KICK ASS movie about entitled white pricks on wall st ??
                  And if you're a white woman, why not make a KICK ASS movie about black teenagers in 1960s Detroit?

Isn't that exactly how people get over these societal/racial barriers? By putting themselves in "the other's- shoes?

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                  Ha! 1,000,000% agree!

Comment

All that Travis is why i don't think you need a co-writer at all. It's the artist job, writer or actor or etc to create new worlds, new characters, and take us places we haven't been.

If we are trying to be 100% accurate we will fall. Mad Men had errors. Zodiac had errors. And they were trying super hard. Chernobyl doesn't have them talk in Russian, but we get it.

Half the movies I watch about NYC have easy errors of logic. And a lot of times it's Toronto. Even Secret life of Pets 2, which was set in NYC, looks like it's Toronto outside and that's animated!

And yes 100% the best part of writing is I get to be things I'm not. to learn about places and people... to have experiences I can't have in real life... and we enjoy watching that as audience.

I'm enjoying all these rants. I think it's good to let it out sometimes. And it's nice when this is a safer place than most. On twitter, we'd already be dead.

Comment

Haha yeah I don't think CNN is gonna start mining DDP for "gotcha- moments unless we all simultaneously hit JJ Abrams Level of Stardom in the next 48 hrs!!!!!

Thank Duck for open discourse! Williamson 2020.

😝

All that Travis is why i don't think you need a co-writer at all. It's the artist job, writer or actor or etc to create new worlds, new characters, and take us places we haven't been.

If we are trying to be 100% accurate we will fall. Mad Men had errors. Zodiac had errors. And they were trying super hard. Chernobyl doesn't have them talk in Russian, but we get it.

Half the movies I watch about NYC have easy errors of logic. And a lot of times it's Toronto. Even Secret life of Pets 2, which was set in NYC, looks like it's Toronto outside and that's animated!

And yes 100% the best part of writing is I get to be things I'm not. to learn about places and people... to have experiences I can't have in real life... and we enjoy watching that as audience.

I'm enjoying all these rants. I think it's good to let it out sometimes. And it's nice when this is a safer place than most. On twitter, we'd already be dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X