Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #1
figment

Default Nicholl 2020

Nicholl 2020 is opened for entries.

https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about

-- Early deadline: March 6 ($48 entry fee)
-- Regular deadline: April 9 ($63 entry fee)
-- Late deadline: May 1 ($88 entry fee).

* there is an additional 40 dollar fee (per entry) if you want comments.

Good luck, people.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
manfredlopez
User

Default Re: Nicholl 2020

Thanks for the heads up. I entered. Good luck to everyone.

REEL - IMDB
manfredlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
DaltWisney

I didn't enter anything last year.

I'm going hard at it this year. Writing two new features and re-submitting one old one that got top 10% one year and top 15% another year. I've had four different scripts get top 10-15%, but I've never made the top 5% with anything and hopefully I can finally clear that hurdle.
DaltWisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #4
Madbandit

I entered last week. Good luck to all.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:47 AM   #5
Merrick
User

Hauling ass on my script that's been in writing-and-rewriting for over two years now. I should *just* be able to make the final deadline.

Curious if less people will be submitting this year due to the current global pandemic? Thoughts about this?

I wouldn't mind less competition.

This is my first time entering a contest.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
Friday

Probably a lot less people will be entering, unless the major competitions delay their deadline a month or so to account for the time most writers loss due to dealing with the pandemic, like shopping or worrying about their day jobs and mortgages. Or maybe they just get a bunch of rushed half ass scripts because people have less time to prepare this go around.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
Madbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Probably a lot less people will be entering, unless the major competitions delay their deadline a month or so to account for the time most writers loss due to dealing with the pandemic, like shopping or worrying about their day jobs and mortgages. Or maybe they just get a bunch of rushed half ass scripts because people have less time to prepare this go around.

The Big Break Screenwriting Contest at Final Draft still has their early deadline price at this point. https://www.finaldraft.com/big-break...iting-contest/

I think if you have a script already done and polished (like yours truly) and you're not financially hurting, there's no excuse to not enter a contest. Sure, there are definitely important things to worry about (I DEFINITELY have bills), but If you have a good voice, put it out there.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
The Big Break Screenwriting Contest at Final Draft still has their early deadline price at this point. https://www.finaldraft.com/big-break...iting-contest/

I think if you have a script already done and polished (like yours truly) and you're not financially hurting, there's no excuse to not enter a contest. Sure, there are definitely important things to worry about (I DEFINITELY have bills), but If you have a good voice, put it out there.
To date this year, I’ve entered six screenplay competitions. One of them was free to submit a feature screenplay or TV one-hour or half-hour script. The only one I haven’t (yet) entered is Nicholl, and I’m working on a proper submission for it. At $88, the late entry fee might convince me it is the deterrent it appears to be when the time comes to pull the trigger. That’s a lot of groceries!

Last edited by TigerFang : 04-06-2020 at 08:46 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
Merrick
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post

I'll have it ready on time, and the pandemic hasn't set me back too badly. The Nicholl final deadline price is pretty steep, but I wanted to enter last year, and my script wasn't ready.

After two years of working myself to the bone, my act 1 and 2 are now respectably solid and act 3 has the skeleton to finish. It'll be ready by the deadline.

I don't think I'll win, may not even make it to the quarterfinal round. But it's definitely worth trying once for the hell of it.

Going to enter Sundance as well.

I'm not sure if I'll enter anything else. I asked on this board before for other recommendations but couldn't find anything definitive besides the two mentioned. Austin I guess was the third? No consensus from anyone about any of the others.

I don't wanna drain money in 10-20 competitions that won't do much. I'd rather put it towards trying to get my thing produced.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #10
Hernan Giaggio
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
I'll have it ready on time, and the pandemic hasn't set me back too badly. The Nicholl final deadline price is pretty steep, but I wanted to enter last year, and my script wasn't ready.

After two years of working myself to the bone, my act 1 and 2 are now respectably solid and act 3 has the skeleton to finish. It'll be ready by the deadline.

I don't think I'll win, may not even make it to the quarterfinal round. But it's definitely worth trying once for the hell of it.

Going to enter Sundance as well.

I'm not sure if I'll enter anything else. I asked on this board before for other recommendations but couldn't find anything definitive besides the two mentioned. Austin I guess was the third? No consensus from anyone about any of the others.

I don't wanna drain money in 10-20 competitions that won't do much. I'd rather put it towards trying to get my thing produced.

I have twice won Script Pipeline. Those guys/gals are great. They helped me get a manager and I know the same can be said of several others who were finalists that year. So one vote for that one.

I heard it about it because that's where Jake Wagner found Tripper Clancy.
Hernan Giaggio is offline   Reply With Quote