Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #131
TigerFang

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
It makes me anxious whenever they hand him important stuff to handle--national security, pandemic, etc. It's like handing the controls of a jet airplane to someone who doesn't know what they're doing and is too arrogant to admit it. Unfortunately, people do not seem to learn from history. These types of divisive figures have continually been elevated to positions they are not qualified for throughout history.
In Texas they have a saying for this: “All hat and no cattle,” in other words, all “bluff and bluster.” That about sums it up.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #132
TigerFang

For some reason, an ice-cream truck with its annoying music loop cruises our neighborhood the last few days. Why? It’s non-essential, so by my reckoning, it ought to be “locked down.” People come out of their homes to buy from it, too. I’ve dubbed it “The COVID-19 Truck.”
Old 03-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #133
Satriales
Regular

I’d crawl over broken glass for President Palin right now ffs
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #134
Madbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Well, this is what happens when you elect a dumbf*ck game show host for president. Hopefully, it teaches us a lesson, but I doubt it.

Time will tell, but I think, if the death toll goes up unfortunately, the people who voted for the dumbf*ck game show host will find either themselves in a hospital bed or learn their loved ones and/or friends died in one, and they'll learn the hard way.

One of my favorite movies, "A Face In The Crowd" is sadly prophetic. Andy Griffth (yeah, THAT Andy Griffth) plays a guitar-playing hobo who get plucked by an Arkansas radio show producer (Patricia Neal) and becomes a media sensation, but later a political demagouge. Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/9lrmxkF-UKM

You can see the film on YouTube or DVD. Recently, the Criterion Collection gave it the "special edition" treatment and there's an accompanying essay written by April Wolfe that's very telling at the end. https://www.criterion.com/current/po...ican-character

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #135
lostfootage

I watched A Face in the Crowd like five years ago. It was really good. I watched it for a reason, but I can't remember it now.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #136
TigerFang

Speaking of crowds, check out King Vidor’s wonderful silent film, The Crowd.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #137
kintnerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
Time will tell, but I think, if the death toll goes up unfortunately, the people who voted for the dumbf*ck game show host will find either themselves in a hospital bed or learn their loved ones and/or friends died in one, and they'll learn the hard way.
Lol, yes it's a well know fact that the fate of the stock market, the economy, and literally every human life is in Trumps hands and his hands alone. No one else can do a thing without his approval or help.

It's not bad enough that liberals basically handed him the White House by giving him a billion dollars in free publicity every day (due to their inability to stop obsessively talking about him for even 5 minutes), now they're elevating him to God-like levels where the FATE OF THE WORLD is in his hands. He's basically the second most famous human ever behind Jesus at this point anyway.

The only thing that needs to be done to defeat Trump in 2020 is for people to STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM. But they can't (and he knows it), because the liberals Achilles Heel is that they can't stop telling everyone how much smarter and morally superior they are.

I can't decide if it's more funny or nauseating.

Back on topic, I got a call from a lit manager yesterday who finally got around to reading a script I sent 5 months ago, so there is a lot of catching up happening.
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:43 AM   #138
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post

I can decide which one you are.
figment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #139
catcon

Quote:
...Back on topic, I got a call from a lit manager yesterday who finally got around to reading a script I sent 5 months ago, so there is a lot of catching up happening.
Here are a few things from various sources and newsletters I've received:

From ScriptRevolution.com: "...due to so many industry members having to isolate themselves and with so many productions on hold, I'm seeing a lot of high profile people sign up to Script Revolution to find new material. Please do not assume the whole industry is in shutdown. There is tremendous opportunity out there right now for screenwriters."

From InkTip.com: "...as you may have heard, production has been postponed on the majority of films and television shows. Release dates for films have been pushed back, and the majority of theaters have suspended operations. However, this does not mean the industry has shut down. Many organizations, including studios, agencies, production houses, have implemented a work-from-home policy to complete post-production, release content on platforms, and develop new material for a hopeful future."

And don't forget how VPF headlines with "Always Live 24/7"

(I've seen others, but can't track them down ... because I'm pretty busy!)

But I'm thinking this is really no time to give up and just shoot pool or watch movies. Producers (and reps) really have no excuse now to not get caught up on their reading. They'll be reducing their reading piles as we speak, and for their own future's sake should be somewhat open to new queries for "future" prospective projects. They were probably doing some of this anyway, when the writers' strike was a possibility.

Me? I'm polishing profusely, and prepping another broad mail out, like Query blitz of another variety but with a family/dramedy/comedy theme, and working my way through my IMDBpro free trial. Sheesh, though, my own database is far more accurate than the stuff in their listings. It has lots of names, but you really have to check every one of them on LinkedIn, which like individual person's listings on IMDB is like their resume, but seems far more current and complete.

But, I'll persist over the free month and see what I can divine out of it. So, lots to do.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 AM   #140
Madbandit

Quote:
Lol, yes it's a well know fact that the fate of the stock market, the economy, and literally every human life is in Trumps hands and his hands alone. No one else can do a thing without his approval or help.

It's not bad enough that liberals basically handed him the White House by giving him a billion dollars in free publicity every day (due to their inability to stop obsessively talking about him for even 5 minutes), now they're elevating him to God-like levels where the FATE OF THE WORLD is in his hands. He's basically the second most famous human ever behind Jesus at this point anyway.

The only thing that needs to be done to defeat Trump in 2020 is for people to STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM. But they can't (and he knows it), because the liberals Achilles Heel is that they can't stop telling everyone how much smarter and morally superior they are.

Back on topic, I got a call from a lit manager yesterday who finally got around to reading a script I sent 5 months ago, so there is a lot of catching up happening.

How can you stop talking about him if he's the leader of the free world? During his recent "fireside chats" press conferences, he's been putting out half-ass truths. You can't ignore him like if he was a celebrity, and that's the sad thing about this mess. Fortunately, he's not God.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote