Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
finalact4

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Here in Connecticut there are only 3 cases, but surely it's in several places. The masks help contain when someone is infected.

No one has really changed their habits here even though we're so close to NYC and they have over 100 cases.

What will most likely happen is things will start to shut down fast if we double or triple the number of infected cases.

Italy went from 2500 cases, to over 5800 cases in four days and this morning they're reporting over 7000. That's in less than a week.

There are a few people who have been in quarantine for weeks because they keep testing positive for COVID-19. They interviewed a man from a cruise ship that's been in quarantine since Mid-February and tested positive again last night. He won't be released until he tests positive for 3 consecutive tests.

There are stories of people testing negative then testing positive after being released.

Crazy what's going on in the market. The first circuit-breaker seems to have worked. Who knows. There's talk already of an airlines bailout. And zero or negative interests rates, because the interest rates are already so low.

What we have to watch out for is more hot spots like Italy.

Until the numbers increase significantly or are near us, I will be doing the same-o. But then I've been working from home, so I'm less at risk.

People can't just stay home out of fear, because it may destroy the economy-- that's why I think everyone's telling the public not to worry. Keep the economy as stable as possible.

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #22
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
Anyone got a good pandemic script...
(Yes, I still check in to DDPro every few days, but only to read.)

I have a pandemic trilogy, published as a Kindle on Amazon in 2012, but written well before 2011 when Contagion came out. That one is probably the current standard in these types of stories.

Anyway, mine was in part inspired by the Swine Flu pandemic in 2009, and by films such as 12 Monkeys/Outbreak: ie. no zombies or space invaders! My main character has a SEVERE Cassandra complex; ie. nobody believes that the end is coming, despite her credentials and the references to the 2009 pandemic. (After COVID-19 is over, and we see how it turned out, I'll probably have to update my story to refer to it.)

Whatever, if you want to check it out, the first 28 pages is available for a free preview (Amazon supposedly allows the first 10%): The Mawr Pneumonica
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EDNAW0

We're storytellers, not documentarians, so theme, pacing and entertainment are disproportionately more important than facts for this type of tale.

So, in retrospect, while this project is not very good, I do remember how it necessitated a ton of research. Most of that was about how to balance the technical stuff to establish the characters' bona fides and to inspire terror in an audience, against a bit of dumbing-down so that the audience could be more than a few thousand post-grads.

As for my days, nowadays, while living on a wee pension my typical week has been reduced to a single grocery shopping trip, and one for a lottery ticket. That's it. Like this for about two years now.

However, my week is still full of script polishes and marketing (pitching). I also have a couple of low-bud projects for which I'm trying to find attachments, so I can then offer up the I.P. + attachments + some possible funding (via LinkedIn connections etc.) to producers as an enticement. No hits so far, but there appears to be interest in (and respect for) writers who think outside the box like that. In the typical writer model, I do have some solid reads going on via cold pitches, but it's no tougher or easier than ever on that front.

I'd say that a little less time socializing may be what many writers can use but, as has been stated in this thread, the effects on the industry specifically and the economy/society as a whole are very worrisome. As people, we and our loved ones have to be careful but not paranoid. As writers, it's an opportunity to hunker down and prioritize our time so as to concentrate on things that are smartest and/or most productive.

Good luck to all!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #23
socalwriter1
Regular

Hey Catcon,

We were just talking about Canada this weekend. You guys have a ton of movies (TV series/features/MOW) being shot up there.

Any disruption to those projects that you've heard of?
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #24
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
What will most likely happen is things will start to shut down fast if we double or triple the number of infected cases.

Italy went from 2500 cases, to over 5800 cases in four days and this morning they're reporting over 7000. That's in less than a week.
More specifically, the jump in known cases in Italy is because they started testing at scale when they figured out they might have a real outbreak on their hand. So the cases were always there, they just didn't know the actual scope until they robustly tested the population.

We have not been robustly testing our population, and still aren't apparently.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #25
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwriter1 View Post
Hey Catcon,

We were just talking about Canada this weekend. You guys have a ton of movies (TV series/features/MOW) being shot up there.

Any disruption to those projects that you've heard of?
Zero (that I've heard of). I don't pay much attention to trends in our Cdn. industry. "Backwater" is how one ex-pat (now long-time producer in U.K.) described us, and I tend to agree. As far as the effect of COVID-19, we're totally "followers" up here, so as the news gets worse from the U.S., the industry here will jump on board and go all panicky, and then go on the hunt for bail-out funds, no doubt.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I get far, far better and more frequent responses from U.S., U.K., even Australia than I do my very own country: You'd think Canuck producers would be eager to find out what a native writer has done ... given that having a Canadian writer virtually guarantees access to those big fat govt production grants up here.

But, a very poor response over the years, except occasionally I get the time-of-day, at least, from Darius, Chesler/Perlmutter Productions and White Pine (all Toronto), Original Pictures (Manitoba), or Bardel or DHX (for animation). Goldrush Entertainment claims to be looking, but has never asked for anything of mine despite being fully pitched.

PS. Sorry, this doesn't mean you shouldn't pitch up here, though, especially if you have the right type of politically-sensitive material, low-budget, etc. Go for it!

Last edited by catcon : 03-12-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added PS
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #26
Friday

For those in LA, how safe is it for LA residents to go out in public?

I saw on the news that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson came down with it...and an NBA player that had the NBA suspend their season. I don't know if any of you have been shopping. I went late at night when there was no one at the supermarket and noticed that all the water was gone. That's crazy. It's usually well stocked, but not one single water bottle. Where are we supposed to get bottled water?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #27
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
For those in LA, how safe is it for LA residents to go out in public?
I think it's relatively safe to go out here. Just use what precautions you can. Wash hands, use any hand sanitizers available at a location, wipe down any shopping carts before going in the store, use your elbow(s) to open doors when possible or to push elevator buttons, etc. All the things that are being recommended.

The grocery store near me was relatively quiet yesterday but still people out. (The stores are starting to feel a strain, I will add. Supplies are starting to run thin quickly, it seems.) And not to bore anyone too much, but I normally go to the gym four times a week. Not going today and not so sure about this weekend or even the next couple of weeks.

Also, my wife (and her entire office) is working from home for at least the next two weeks -- maybe longer. Looks like many other companies are doing the same. Don't stop living and doing what you need to do, I'd say, but do be as conscientious as possible about all, if you go out.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 03-12-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Update
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #28
docgonzo

I'm starting to see the effects in LA. School events are getting canceled. Traffic is getting better. Fewer people at the gym this morning. People are hoarding supplies. It's definitely starting to creep in here.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #29
lostfootage

I have two different friends who were on shoots in Europe - one in Budapest and one in Prague. They were both put on planes home today, and production suspended. I wonder what kind of ripple effect that will have?
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #30
Bunker

I think it's only a matter of time before all productions shut down. And by "matter of time" I'm thinking Monday, at the latest.

There are already lists circulating about the plans for agencies and production companies. Many are moving to a Work From Home format starting Monday, but with things moving so fast, I wouldn't be surprised if they shutter their doors by the end of today.

Things aren't "dangerous" here. There's a certain tension in the air when you're out and about, but it's not mass hysteria. It's not scary or unsafe. But everything is shutting down and closing for business.

Oh, and there is no toilet paper in the Valley.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote