Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Of Thrones

I think tonight is perfect night to start a GOT thread...

Did you catch the pilot? I think it's gonna be so good...

Re: Game Of Thrones

what's a whitewalker and where'd all the body parts that were in a spiral design go? great set up, sure hope it gets paid off down the road.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I'll gladly partake in this interesting discussion.

I love it when people say how other people would do Game of Thrones better than those two dudes who only did Game of Thrones.

Comment

I used to think those two writers were geniuses until the last episode, then I realized they were copying from book

Comment

The entire last season was REALLY bad, but especially the last two episodes, which were kind of like what you would expect from a high school screenwriting 101 class (not even college level).

I LOVE this guy's take on the end of GOT and this is really how it should have been done if it had been done professionally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mncEl4nVU

Comment

Endings are always hard because it's never as good as you have it in your head and also there's no chance to change it... it's the last episode ever! Expectations will never be fulfilled, thats' just the way it goes.

And I know they had book as reference, but please let's not pretend just because it was in the book that means it's perfect or anyone could do that. That's insulting and crazy. Also George gave them beats for how he thinks he would finish it, so it's not like they were doing it all by themselves either storywise.

I think it's fair to say I don't like the last epsiode or last season... but if you liked the first 3 seasons, then the same writers did that, so how can you make fun of it now?

West Wing first 4 seasons were written by Sorkin, last 3 he was gone. So that's a huge difference. The show fundamental changed. I still enjoy those 3 seasons, but that was just a new thing really. GOT had the same showrunners the whole time. That's amazing and rare.

My favorite show is LOST and I can argue for days about it. But I love it. Did it end exactly how I wanted it to end. Of course not. But I thought it was pretty great. It's never perfect. And as writers ourselves, we are a fickle bunch.

Comment

Agree - endings are very tough and this one especially since it was under a microscope and it was so big. Don't get me wrong - I still love the show OVERALL and I'm not "making fun of it". Just pointing out that the final season was very bad and especially bad in comparison to most of the other seasons. Even the GOT actors themselves thought so

https://www.distractify.com/p/game-o...le-actors-hate

Comment

For me, the series was always hit and miss, with a few notable high points (e.g., Gregor Clegane defeating Oberyn Martell, which was a splendid inversion of the David-vs.-Goliath cliché and elicited satisfying howls of online outrage from GQ-besotted Oberyn fans).

But the past few years, the show had become unwatchable, to the point that I literally did stop watching it.

However, I managed to tune in for the final pair of episodes, after hearing some good things about the third-to-last show, and I consider them to be the best episodes in the series. Not leastwise because they redeemed GOT from what had become its most annoying aspect: the Mary-Sue-esque deification of Daenerys.

By revealing that pedestalized Progressive Princess for what she really was, indeed for what world-improvers like her so often are - blood-soaked tyrants ready to slaughter anyone who stands in the way of their Utopias - the show turned its greatest liability into its greatest strength, right down to such subtle but significant symbolic touches as showing Daenerys's revolutionary army wielding sickles in their hands.

It gave the show's finale some marvellous 20th- and 21st-century relevance too, inviting dragon/drone-killing and dragon/Dresden-bombing analogies that show the dark side of the supposedly "noble interventionism- to which all self-styled "indispensible- political entities are liable.

I think that the imprisoned Tyrion's comments to the Daenerys-infatuated Jon, admitting Tyrion's own delusions in having followed her and alerting Jon to her monstrous nature, are not just the best in the series but some of the most impactful that I've ever heard on television. These words practically break the fourth wall, so much do they seem to be aimed at the audience (especially devout Daenerys fans):

TYRION: When she murdered the slavers of Astapor, I'm sure no one but the slavers complained. After all, they were "evil- men. When she crucified hundreds of Meereenese nobles, who could argue? They were "evil- men. [...] Everywhere she goes, "evil- men die and we cheer her for it, and she grows more powerful and more sure she is good and right. She believes her destiny is to build a better world for everyone. If you believed that, if you truly believed it, wouldn't you kill whoever stood between you and paradise?
                "Breaker of chains- = "ender of lives.- It is often so. And I'm genuinely impressed that an American television series allowed itself to utter this truth.

Comment

To call GOT unwatchable is just a lie. It's literally one of the most watchable things ever made. It appeals to all the senses.

If you felt nothing for a show or film, you couldn't get this worked up about it.

We get worked up because we loved the show, the movie, the piece of work.

I didn't love the ending either, but the journey was f-ucking amazing.

Also, I've thought Daenerys was bad since season one... so I've been watching the show the whole time as she's the bad guy and I never quite got why people loved her in the show so much and off screen. All the characters were good and bad.

If you didn't enjoy every second The Hound was on screen, then I don't know what to say. He was the best.

Comment

Everyone's of course entitled to their opinion, but if you watch this guy's take on it, you will see/understand just how much they really missed in the ending -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mncEl4nVU

and by missed I mean basic missed opportunities, missed plot points and completely forgetting about things they'd set up way earlier in the series. And THEN - there are the other, probably bigger misses of completing character arcs in a satisfying way, etc....

Just watch it - you will be both happy and pissed that you did, haha.

Comment

It is what it is. I liked the ending for the most part, but totally get why others didn't. Regardless, it was a landmark series that may well be the last must-see show we all watch in real time.

Comment

Working...
                      X