Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destructive love story

I wonder how to think when a love story is a negative one and complicates the primary goal, in this case to fight for a boxing title. And the main character needs to realize that he must break the bad relationship and instead focus on the main goal instead of the love story to win and grow as a person.

So the story has a cute meeting with the love interest and also a opportunity to fight for this boxing title, but the love interest try to stop the main character to emotionally grow and change.

First we in audience think that this relationship maybe is the best option but step by step realize its damages more and prevent the main character to have a stronger independent life.

So the love story is the nemesis or becomes over time that and the primary goal a positive arc.

Is there anything to think about when it comes to structure a movie like this?
    Last edited by twilight; 03-03-2019, 02:32 AM.
    English is not my mother tongue. So Patient.

"And tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call if you are unable to speak?" Matrix

Re: Destructive love story

Originally posted by twilight View Post
    Is there anything to think about when it comes to structure a movie like this?
    Think about which is your main screen story, your “A” storyline, then think about which is your subplot, your “B” storyline, or even “B” and “C” storylines, and then think about what is to be your story’s end. Think about what are your choices for each of those elements and decide which way to take your screen story. Do you focus more on the love story? Or do you focus more on the boxing story? Which? After that, then try to write the quintessential logline for the screen story. When you have answered those questions and created its logline, then you could begin to structure the screen story.

At the outset, you could have a heavy focus on the romance, minimal focus on the boxing, then midway through the story they are equal measures, then at the end, the boxing has taken over the story and the romance has diminished to nothing just before the boxer wins his title bout.

Many others here may have more and/or better suggestions for you as well.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 03-04-2019, 02:52 PM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Two boxing movies with a similar issue is the original Rocky and Cinderella Man. In these two movies, however, the love interest is not destructive. But in both there is a conflict between boxing and love.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

The Natural isn't a boxing story, but it has two destructive love stories (and one constructive).

Comment

Originally posted by twilight View Post
          I wonder how to think when a love story is a negative one and complicates the primary goal, in this case to fight for a boxing title. And the main character needs to realize that he must break the bad relationship and instead focus on the main goal instead of the love story to win and grow as a person.
          typically, the love story is the relationship that travels with the hero's emotional journey. the character shows the hero that they are behaving in a way that prevents them from growth, from becoming the better version of themselves, right?

i am unclear as to the internal goal that the hero will achieve by pursuing the external goal of "winning the championship" for example.

so, i'd say, clearly define that the internal growth of the character comes from the external struggle to win. in the case of Rocky, it was because "he wanted to be somebody." his success was tied to his self-esteem.

i would also say, consider the possibility of needing a third character and this character's relationship replaces the typical "love story" and becomes a "buddy love story." the buddy becomes the character that forces the change on the hero, he's the one that shows the hero the right path. difficult though it may be to travel.

then i'd map out five major plot points of all three storylines and have them collide at the three-quarter mark where the hero has to make a choice between the girl and the championship. the key to make this emotionally satisfying is to create a dilemma where the decision is very difficult for the character to make. that he really is very much in love with this person. he has to give up something important from his old ways to be TRANSFORMED by the choice. imo, it cannot be easy, "oh, she's a bad influence so she's gotta go." it has to be a sacrifice, imo. the choice could also be between the two secondary characters.

a possible example of one storyline:

A story - to win the championship
          • catalyst - the champion will fight any new contender that wins X challenge
          • PP1 - after much consideration and encouragement hero decides to enter X challenge.

• MP turn - character wins a the X challenge and qualifies to fight the champion, only to face a potentially debilitating diagnosis that if he sustains another brain injury his mental capacity could be seriously diminished or he could die.

• PP2 he must choose between the championship fight to fulfill his lifelong dream or he must choose the woman (just a default could be another man) he loves who is going to have his first born.

• climax - the hero, after a heart wrenching debate, leaves the mother of his first born and fights, almost dies and overcomes his fears and becomes the champion of the World Title.

B1 story - buddy love
          • catalyst - buddy meets hero in the gym, admires his skills but notices a liability, the hero's relationship with his girlfriend (or boyfriend if that's the case)

• PP1 - buddy offers to help hero achieve his outer goal, with one condition, he cannot let his personal life interfere with his training.

• PP2 - buddy gives hero an ultimatum, the girl (and his first born) or him (and fulfilling his lifelong dream).

• climax - hero chooses buddy

B2 story - love story
          • catalyst - hero and girl meet, hit it off, she hates fighting or not

• PP1 - hero and girl fall madly in love with each other. they are inseparable

• MP turn - girl tells hero after his injury that he has to give up fighting to save his life. the conflict then between all three begins here.

• PP2 - after the buddy gives hero an ultimatum, girl tells hero that she is pregnant and if he ever wants to see his unborn child, he must not fight in the championship.
          • climax - he chooses to fight

resolution to all three storylines: the hero wins the championship, hero and his buddy open a new gym to train future superstar fighters and the girl gives birth and allows the hero to share custody of his new born son.

not saying this is your story, just giving an example of how three stories could connect into one fairly easy. then all you have to do is fill in the in between.
          Last edited by finalact4; 03-05-2019, 12:59 PM.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
          X