Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer's Market

Well, it's almost "Pitch Season" and I'm dying to start pitching my television drama, The Night Watch. Alas, I don't have many producers lined up. I'm considering buying the Writer's Market, which apparently has a new Hollywood section. Has anyone tried this? Is it a good resource?

Thanks in advance.

Will
    "Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December; And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor--"

Re: Writer's Market

Originally posted by WillLevin View Post
    Well, it's almost "Pitch Season" and I'm dying to start pitching my television drama, The Night Watch. Alas, I don't have many producers lined up. I'm considering buying the Writer's Market, which apparently has a new Hollywood section. Has anyone tried this? Is it a good resource?

Thanks in advance.

Will
    Years ago (80s) my brother and I (mostly my brother) were doing a small press magazine. We got ourselves listed in the Writer's Market and got flooded with short story submissions and we were paying one-quarter cent a word.

In a way it was kind of sad. As usual a lot of the submissions were terrible, but we also got submissions from known writers and some authors went on to become known after selling to us. And they were sending to us because most of the other magazines were offering credit only.

But that was in the middle to late 80s before the Internet was a thing.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Re: Writer's Market

While there are always exceptions, the conventional path to selling a pilot is landing reps (starting with a manager, then agent) who then package your show with a showrunner and/or director before bringing it to studios. An interested studio would then shop it to networks, and those two parties would work out a deal which involves you getting paid.

Short of that, pilots are usually nothing more than samples used to land writers staffing positions on existing shows.

I don't know what info is offered by the Writer's Market, but I don't think it contains manager emails, which is where I would start in your shoes.

Comment

Working...
      X