No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Four Thoughts on Screenwriting

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
    All of 'em were plausible! So I vote all of 'em!
    That was fast, lol. Bingo!
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

1. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

2. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

3. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

4. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

1. Most random screenplays with underwhelming premises - character study dramas, quirky comedies, etc - that usually flood the major contests and screenplay spec market from newcomers aren't going to generate much heat.

2. Working writers, who used to submit to contests, rarely placed in them and the contests had nothing to do with their overall career success.

3. Wearing a sport coat at the austin film festival isn't necessary and you look pretentious.

4. Instead of spending money on a MFA in screenwriting, just give me the money so I can make a film.
        I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

1. Write the story so that lights, picture, and sound come to life in the mind’s eye of the reader just as it would on the movie theater screen.

2. Write the first draft of the story just as it flows from you, without constraints of page- count. It’s much easier to trim down a story than it is to pad a story.

3. Write your story within the bounds of the codes, rules, and laws of the universe you’ve created for the screen story.

4. Write a story for a film that you would want to see.

(In each case, it all begins with what you write)
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 11-16-2018, 07:00 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

1. When you wake up at 2 am and suddenly have that dialogue that you were searching for, that will play off the theme without being on-the-nose, you will not remember it in the morning. If you force yourself to get up and scribble it on a post-it, in the morning, you will read it and then say -- why the hell did I think that would solve anything?

2. Take a walk so you can think.

3. It's not how many pages you got done. It's if there's content within them.

4. Get notes. You cannot fix what you cannot see.

Comment

Good thread. Useful and entertaining. Nice work. Keep it going!

Comment

Working...
              X