Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/usweekly/article/Ghostbusters-All-Female-Cast-Revealed-Melissa-6043852.php
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

I really don't think this movie should exist, but given that, I don't think they really could have asked for a better director/cast.

Comment

It's similar to my feelings about Chris Pratt being up for Indiana Jones. Since Disney is making it, the new movie isn't going to be the Indiana Jones I love (doubtful they'll make references to Jones sleeping with his mentor's underage daughter).

So if it's going to be an Indiana Jones without the edge, why not Chris Pratt?

Comment

love the cast. hate that it's being remade.

Comment

I don't think I've seen the original in 25 years. It does not play all that often on TV and thus I'm not sure it's an automatic name recognition/want to see among the under 25 crowd? I guess its success will depend on how good the remake actually is?

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
            It's similar to my feelings about Chris Pratt being up for Indiana Jones. Since Disney is making it, the new movie isn't going to be the Indiana Jones I love (doubtful they'll make references to Jones sleeping with his mentor's underage daughter).

So if it's going to be an Indiana Jones without the edge, why not Chris Pratt?
            Indiana Jones is being rebooted? When did that happen?

Comment

I'll likely pass unless it gets good word of mouth. I think the all female move, while progressive, may shut out a chunk of its fanbase. That'll make word of mouth even more important.
              "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
              -Maya Angelou

Comment

I'm starting to accept reboots as a fact of life now. They used to bother me, but now I feel like the best we can hope for is that the studios go out of their way to make the new version better, and if not that, fresher in some way.

That's why I'm excited about this news. I think casting the Ghostbusters with an all-star cast of comediennes is a very inspired idea. It'll attract a new audience (including fans of up-and-coming comic stars such as Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones - such as myself), but it also creates a curiosity factor that'll encourage die-hard fans of the original to check it out.

I also believe that with the massive failures of half-assed attempts like "Total Recall" and the successes of quality attempts like "Godzilla", studios are starting to get the message that they have to treat reboots with the same amount of respect as the originals, or audiences will stay home. If they can make this "Ghostbusters" of a quality that's on par with "21 Jump Street" (TV example, but still), then they stand to make a lot of money the way that film and its sequel did.

With all that said, Hollywood, we will have problems if you try to touch "Back to the Future". Just leave it alone. Or else.
                Last edited by UpandComing; 01-28-2015, 01:01 PM.
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                  Indiana Jones is being rebooted? When did that happen?
                  http://deadline.com/2015/01/chris-pr...ey-1201360637/

Comment

All I can say is, it better deliver the goods. I dig Wiig alot and McCarthy can be hilarious in the right vehicle. The all female cast is a fresh take, but I would have preferred maybe a battle of the sexes subplot btwn those two and say, Kevin Hart and Steve Carell.

Horses for courses.
                    sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

Do you have a better source? The writer "heard" about this and describes it as being both a revival and a new franchise - two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                        Do you have a better source? The writer "heard" about this and describes it as being both a revival and a new franchise - two different things.
                        I'm sure this is in very early discussions.

Though I seriously doubt Disney paid Paramount for this franchise to just sit on it.

Comment

Hey, Carrell as "d1ckless" would be great.

Hollywood has done remakes since the beginning of time. But now they are remaking *our* movies, and that hurts.

I was amused when everyone was up in arms over the idea of remaking SCARFACE a couple of years ago.

Bill
                          Free Script Tips:
                          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I'm sure this is in very early discussions.

Though I seriously doubt Disney paid Paramount for this franchise to just sit on it.
                            They could, you know, keep using Spielberg, Kasdan, and Ford - that combo's worked out pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                              Hollywood has done remakes since the beginning of time. But now they are remaking *our* movies, and that hurts.
                              I'm not generally bothered by remakes, but this one bugs me because I would much rather have it be a sequel. Set in a world where the original Ghostbusters existed and set up franchises. That was part of Aykroyd's original concept, and I like that idea so much, I hate to see it not used.

Granted, I have read Feig's reasoning behind the reboot. That characters encountering ghosts for the first time is much bigger dramatically than if they lived in a world where everyone had known about ghosts for decades.

Still. I just love the idea of taking an film like Ghostbusters and then returning to that world decades later to see how the events altered society.

Comment

Working...
                              X