No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Benedek - Outlining Class

Hello DDPers,

Has anyone taken classes with Tom Benedek? Or worked with him? I'm looking at taking one of his FREE classes on outlining as I have a new project I'll start soon once i figure out the structure.

any comments would be appreciated.
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: Tom Benedek - Outlining Class

Just in googling I came across this on reddit, this response was about four comments up from the bottom of the thread -- I believe this was a paid class:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...ining_courses/

"... Do not take a course from Tom Benedek. It was a complete waste of time and money. No written notes and skype once a week with worthless feedback- not sure he fully read stuff and NEVER EVER EVER answered any questions on the class forum. Lectures were 2-3 pages of misspellings and terribly written. Good feedback from one student and radio silence from others despite giving them feedback. RUN RUN RUN..."

FWIW, I would trust yourself more than this guy. If you could find a script/movie in your same genre whose structure you think worked well and break down its beats it might help you to crack the structure for your new script?

But if this class is free...?

Comment

Not sure about Benedict but in that thread I found Peter Gamble has a youtube storyweaving lecture free...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwi...nhyKR-g/videos

Just read a script 10-31 that he did with Ian Shorr and is on the BLACKLIST - nifty horror one of my top 6 reads for the year so far.

Seems he's a prof at USC so should be worth a view to put it mildly.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
        Just in googling I came across this on reddit, this response was about four comments up from the bottom of the thread -- I believe this was a paid class:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...ining_courses/

"... Do not take a course from Tom Benedek. It was a complete waste of time and money. No written notes and skype once a week with worthless feedback- not sure he fully read stuff and NEVER EVER EVER answered any questions on the class forum. Lectures were 2-3 pages of misspellings and terribly written. Good feedback from one student and radio silence from others despite giving them feedback. RUN RUN RUN..."

FWIW, I would trust yourself more than this guy. If you could find a script/movie in your same genre whose structure you think worked well and break down its beats it might help you to crack the structure for your new script?

But if this class is free...?
        Thanks for the help figment.

I wasn't sure if the course was interactive-- meaning while you write a spec. I have pretty good outlining habits and use a few sources. I also will be beating out several contained thrillers probably about 8 and will then close in on similar concepts.

I'm tackling a complex concept, to me. The story is circular-- the end is also the beginning, so I can't really think of something that exactly like that, but similar ideas (in one fashion or another) would be Source Code, West World, Oblivion, Live Die Repeat, Looper, and Terminator Salvation.
        It's a bit about predetermination in a closed storyline. I know, that probably doesn't make sense. But if i explained it, it would make sense.

It has a main character and an AI character with a few ancillary characters-- family in daily videos and memories with other crew members. It sort of has an ending like Prometheus, how the main character goes into cryrosleep with a final realization in that the main character finally realizes the truth and knows he can't do anything to stop it from happening again.

It's all in my head right now. simmering. not ready to write it down. working on research. and discovering possibilities.

I just thought a good, well formed outline structure would be helpful BEFORE i start to write the outline. TB outline class promises to cover: concept, characters, conflict, antagonistic obstacles, internal character development, subplots, and theme.

I'm not really interested in the writing assignments, but everything else looks good.

AK7576: thanks for the heads up on the video. watching it now. Make note to starts at the 18 minute mark and is 5 hours long.

FA4
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
        X