No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any non-US writers here?

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    So wrote 2 novels at 130,000 words or so apiece, one in 1st P, and the next in TP, just for the slog and practice of it.

But then came to the point where I decided to try out the real thing... this is after a second novel as practice run.... on third one now and currently at around 150,000 words out of a projected 200,000 first draft.
    That's a REALLY LONG manuscript. It's actually on the long side for TWO manuscripts. I have never heard of a novel that long. What genre are you writing? You're basically looking at the equivalent of a 300 word script. Just as a comparison point.

Or is this meant to be divided into a trilogy?
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
      That's a REALLY LONG manuscript. It's actually on the long side for TWO manuscripts. I have never heard of a novel that long. What genre are you writing? You're basically looking at the equivalent of a 300 word script. Just as a comparison point.

Or is this meant to be divided into a trilogy?
      Genre: it's a sort of Tom Sawyer, but set in 70s/early 80s Britain, it's about a bunch of kids and a year in their life set against social changes, and escapism, where they hang out, what they do/discuss etc... but also hard edged in places, so not really a straight adventure book...

Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, for example, which doesn't seem that long, at least when you see the Penguin edition where the fonts are quite small I admit, was a 200,000 word novel! I know that's a while back now... and publishing has changed...

These were part of a trilogy idea actually, each book, but if I ever decided to trim them, it would be substantial or split, broken up, yes, but as written, I was deliberately writing them as quite long novels by today's standards, for the practice nic. I spoke to a professional author recently, who had a 160k draft, and his publishers asked him to reduce it, to 140k or so...

Looking at a couple of novels recently, I've counted around 130/140k in Money by Martin Amis, that's 80s I know, and was looking at a chicklit author's oeuvre -I don't read chicklit btw! - but she was in the news at the time as a retiring UK MP and author with many novels to her credit ...anyway, wondered how she fitted all these novels in with kids and a f/t job? So looked at the word count, they came in at around 70,000 words or so. She'd probably got an efficient template/style/approach going and so just pumped them out... still a lot of work.
      Last edited by The Road Warrior; 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM.
      Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Hey Road, I've created a different thread and replied there, not wanting to hijack this thread.

Link

Comment

Good idea, I was sleeptyping, late last night, and waffling away somewhat...

back to non-USA writers...
          Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

'Nuther Australian.

Comment

Working...
            X