Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Successful long scenes

The Deer Hunter. Russian Roulette. DeNiro. Walken. Nearly 10 minutes of pure tension.

Comment

The first 2 that spring to mind:

First ten minutes of THE SOCIAL NETWORK. 2 people talking in a bar.

The interrogation scene in the middle of LA CONFIDENTIAL. It's part of a sequence that's about 25 minutes long, but the scene itself is a masterwork.

Comment

A few years ago at the Raindance Film Fest I saw a film called FALENE (MOTH) that is two guys talking in an alley for most of the running time. It was a series of subjects discussed as two men were waiting to attack and steal from a third. The conversation was clever and exposed character and was much like the scenes in PULP FICTION between Jules & Vincent. That well written, as well. Not easy to do at all. Written by Italy's top playwright.

I don't see this as one long scene, but a series of scenes that take place at the same location (since each subject discussed was a separate bit with a beginning, middle, and end) - the way ROPE is more than one scene.

When you take something away - like changing locations - you need to add to the intensity to maintain the same amount of energy.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Some great examples, all.

Again, the connection seems to be tension, subtext and finesse. Obvious in hindsight, but hard to do at the writing stage.

There's also that element that Bill just mentioned - the phase-like nature of a long scene. The good ones are often carved up into thematic and/or emotional chunks, and the audience rides an undulating wave of information and feeling.

Comment

Can't believe I forgot Twelve Angry Men. Basically a play. But the conflict is there the whole time and constant character reveals. One of the best.

Comment

Another one of my favorites:

Always Be Closing

Comment

And the opening scene for Full Metal Jacket, and the living room scene in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.
                "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Interesting theme the last few posts - some plays and play-like stuff has popped up. I suppose they're a natural for good long scenes - it's in their DNA.

However, a film is not a play - and filmed plays need a cinematic approach. One of my favourites is Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean. It definitely shows its roots as a play, but Altman covers it lovingly and imaginatively so it's not just talking heads. It has a mesmerising long Sandy Dennis monologue, and Cher is incredible in it, as are they all. It's the best all-(or almost all)-female ensemble piece I've ever seen.

Comment

BOOGIE NIGHTS.

Fire crackers.

'Nuff said.

Comment

Baldwin's monologue in GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
                        Lawrence of Arabia - sitting by the well.

The Good, the Bad and The Ugly - final shoot out as Morricone's store escalates the tension.
                        Agree with the three way shootout in The Good The Bad And The Ugly. that scene lasts well over four minutes from Eastwood putting the rock down to the first shot. Four minutes with nothing but three guys looking at each other.

I also like the ending of The Third Man. Spoilers if you haven't seen it. And if you haven't seen The Third Man why the hell not?

Comment

The first 5 pages of Lethal Weapon 4 are fantastic.

Comment

the coffee shop in Heat, Neil and Vincent face to face

Comment

Opening scene of Inglorious Basterds-- it's like 13 pages long in one location and it's loaded with tension, subtext and suspense-- absolutely riveting.
                              FA4
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I like the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds, but prefer the bar scene. They're both equally intense, but it's more interesting to me to see the good guys screw up and the bad guys have a brain, too.

Boogie Nights is a great mention. In fact, the length of the drug deal scene is actually what creates most of the tension.

I have to throw in the best movie of all time again in one of these threads and add No Country for Old Men and just about any scene in it.

I'm also a sucker for most of Brian De Palma's work. I realize he's kind of a joke now, his stuff's a little dated and he may even be a self-parody at this point, but I still like it.
                                On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Working...
                                X