Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Revenant

Wow, beautifully shot and directed. Acting was great. Probably the most brutal film I've ever seen.

Re: The Revenant

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
    Wow, beautifully shot and directed. Acting was great. Probably the most brutal film I've ever seen.
    Most brutal? Not too sure about that. But definitely agree it was beautifully shot and directed. This particular director especially made use of extreme closeups quite often. The bear scene that you see in the trailers was my favorite, felt very realistic.
    FADE IN:
    PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
    NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

i'm trying to think of a more brutal movie . . . nope

much better than Birdman

what Dances With Wolves probably should have been, if you stripped away all the sentiment

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        i'm trying to think of a more brutal movie . . . nope

much better than Birdman

what Dances With Wolves probably should have been, if you stripped away all the sentiment
        I guess you've never seen "A Serbian Film", or some of Eli Roth's work? There are definitely more brutal films out there.

What I like about the way this one hit home was the characterizations. I actually understood Tom Hardy's reasoning -- as underhanded as he handled it Every man left over on that trek just wanted to get back to the fort. Tom Hardy's Fitzgerald just gave voice to what everyone was thinking. And the way it was directed and staged was really jarring because the camera never flinched.

There were no "visible" edits during any of this. You really got the sense you were watching all of this unfold right before your eyes. There was nothing there to let the audience off the hook to signal they were watching a movie.
        "No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price... I will take my crown." -- Balon Greyjoy

Comment

Visually it's a marvel, as expected. And all the actors are really good.

After the highly intense first 30 minutes the film becomes mostly a survival tale, and not so exciting for me. It has a weird balance of being a 70% survival story, 30% revenge story, and the two aspects didn't gel that well together.

Climax is good thought, and suitably brutal and exciting.

Comment

I think using words like "brutal" can be misleading, though the sentiment is perfect. Inarritu, along with Hitchcock and Haneke are masters of violence, but not gore. That's the difference. I mean, Birds was also brutal, so was Cache. But only in the sense of what is unseen, and the anticipation of every shocking moment. It's the auteur's ability to set up every stunning moment with amazing results. Granted, Revenant had far more blood and surreal wounds, but the actual violence was all in the craft designed under the director's guidance. In the end, we're left with dynamic words like brutal, because we just had a visceral, primal experience, which you don't have in far bloodier, guts and gore horror films.

Revenant, for me, was the best film of the year so far. It took me several hours afterward to digest and explicate some of the scenes and symbolism, and after I had about ten aha moments, I realized I just witnessed a modern classic.

One of the best aha moments were the three moments of rebirth; from the grave, the mud hut, and the belly of the horse. Think about that for a moment and you'll see the brilliance in how important his almost holy quest for revenge became.
            Last edited by bruinwriter; 07-21-2016, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
              Most brutal? Not too sure about that.
              I dunno, that bear attack was pretty brutal. I've never seen anything like that on film before.
              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I've been trying to decide on my favorite pic of the year. Spotlight was the most emotionally powerful, and will probably win the Best Picture Oscar as a result. Mad Max was the most fearless filmmaking experience, and I hope to see George Miller at least get nominated -- he's brilliant.

That said, I think I'll have to go with The Revenant because for me, more than any movie this year, it effectively combined audacious filmmaking with emotional resonance. It's not without its flaws -- the middle was a bit slow and probably could've been trimmed a bit. But as bruinwriter said earlier, this is a modern classic. I think Alejandro Inarritu is on a fast path toward legend status, and I look forward to seeing Leo win his well-deserved Oscar next month.
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I've only seen the trailer, but to be honest it looks very flat and dreary. Like it screemed to the audience: This is going to be very artsy, meaning a frail story with only little plot and/or explanation, building mostly on audiovisual stimulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaso View Post
                    I've only seen the trailer, but to be honest it looks very flat and dreary. Like it screemed to the audience: This is going to be very artsy, meaning a frail story with only little plot and/or explanation, building mostly on audiovisual stimulation.
                    Perhaps when it's thirty feet high, you will be able to appreciate the degree of difficulty in attaining the cinematography, let alone appreciate the stellar direction and acting. Once allowing suspension of disbelief and getting caught up in the audiovisual stimulation, the very realistic fight for survival becomes the main character's struggle and goal as well as the moviegoer's, too. Perhaps, then, the movie may require its moviegoer to be campers and backpackers, nature lovers, or at least, to have a proactive view on having the great outdoor resources -- state, national, and other forests and protected areas -- to make a film such as this one.
                    Last edited by Clint Hill; 01-13-2016, 12:22 PM.
                    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Yaso View Post

but to be honest, it's nothing like any of those things at all

Comment

Fantastic stuff. Give everyone involved an Oscar already.

Comment

I'd think Inarritu is already at legend or master status. It's clear just watching anything he makes. But he's also never had an English language film of his not have at least two nominations at the Oscars. And three of his four have at least seven (the other two having nine and twelve).

And I expect he will be the director who finally gets Dicaprio his Oscar.

Based on what I know about him, I'd say the lack of dialogue is what appealed to him. True cinema and all that. After all, during The Hollywood Reporter roundtable he essentially said he avoids plot on purpose. Often not the most commercial path, but this is easily his most commercially successful film. So yeah, I'd also have to disagree with the "overly artsy" critique as well. Those don't make $40m in their opening weekend. Especially not when STAR WARS is still going strong.

Comment

Is the screenplay available for reading somewhere?

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqe1va3dvz...enant_copy.pdf

(yes, this is the Fox FYC site, it's authorized)

Comment

Working...
                              X