Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

new trailer dropped to coincide with the Cannes premiere (7 minute standing ovation). first movie i've been genuinely excited to see this year:

https://youtu.be/kW5ifP068wQ

anybody order fried sauerkraut?!

Re: Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    new trailer dropped to coincide with the Cannes premiere (7 minute standing ovation). first movie i've been genuinely excited to see this year:

https://youtu.be/kW5ifP068wQ

anybody order fried sauerkraut?!
    his style is so iconic i knew within seconds it was Tarantino. this looks amazing. i love the way he takes history and flips it on its a$$.

watching the panel now. what fun!
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Crap I'd better hurry up and finish watching hateful!
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

gosh i loved this one so much, but fair warning to any longtime Tarantino fans, it's fairly atypical compared to highly plotted stories like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. it felt here like QT was just going for trying to capture a mood and the feeling of a specific moment in time -- Hollywood 1969 -- when one world is ending (the studio system) and the new one (the New Hollywood of Polanski and other auteur directors) was still in it's embryonic stage. there is barely a plot to speak of, other than following the declining career of a Clint Eastwood-type TV action leading man and his stunt double sidekick. and their intersections with the worlds of up-and-coming actors like Sharon Tate as well as the Manson Family girls who always seem to be hitching a ride on Sunset Blvd. no spoilers for the (literal) fairy-tale ending but i can say it's the first time anything by Tarantino has moved me to genuine tears.

Comment

A review from New Yorker magazine: Review: Quentin Tarantino’s Obscenely Regressive Vision of the Sixties in “Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood.”
          (WARNING: the article is chock full of spoilers)

Despite the reviewer’s tone (or voice), I know that I’m going to like this movie anyway. “And away we go.” — Cliff Booth
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-28-2019, 07:42 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
            A review from New Yorker magazine: Review: Quentin Tarantino's Obscenely Regressive Vision of the Sixties in "Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood.-
            (WARNING: the article is chock full of spoilers)

Despite the reviewer's tone (or "voice-), I know that I'm going to like this movie anyway. "And away we go.- - Cliff Booth
            QT is definitely exorcising some demons in that third act (which, depending on how one feels about those specific demons, may or may not be obscenely regressive -- it's not the ending for them i would personally choose but i understand why Quentin or others might feel differently). i think it's a legit criticism that Sharon Tate as character doesn't get to live the same onscreen life as Leo and Brad's character. that's the one thing i wish had been more/equally fleshed out

Comment

Moved to tears? I looked forward to this one more than any movie in a couple years and what a let down. His overindulgent dive into recreating all things 1969 with every scene being WAY too long and literally no plot to the whole thing was just ugh. Cliche piled on top of cliche, I think a dead horse kicked another dead horse at one point. The writing was awful. the only way anyone liked this was if they were pining for yesteryear and wanted to see the summer of 69 through Tarantino's eyes. I almost walked out an hour and a half/three quarters in, I was like are you kidding me (if you've seen it you know why)? I am literally still pissed that I saw this hot mess. And the ending WTF? Just soooooo stupid. Favorite movie of all time? True Romance, so not a hater, just this POS.
              Eric
              www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with JoeBanks... I loved this movie SO much and I am not a QT fanboy by any means. My disclaimer is more that if I could time travel, this is literally where I would go. I've always been fascinated by this era of LA history, so I would've gladly spent another 3 hours living in that world. In fact the only part that started to lose me just the tiniest bit was the prolonged "western" sequence -- but that was still very entertaining, if only for Leo's performance.

And to the other point that Joe made, QT's movies almost never make me emotional, it's typically more of a "oh that's some cool filmmaking/dialogue/whatever" reaction -- but I found the ending of this movie to be incredibly touching in a way that's stayed with me since I left the theater on Sunday evening. I'll definitely be going back for a second viewing.

Comment

I haven't been a fan of QT in forever. Didn't like Inglorious Basterds (dull, dull, dull), and haven't had one second of desire to see Django or Hateful Eight.

But for some reason I was looking forward to this. I knew there was something a little different here, so I went to see it. And I absolutely loved it. Yes, there's no plot to speak of, but who cares. The characters were fascinating, Leo, Brad and Margo were exceptional, and the production blew me away. How QT was able to recreate 1969 Los Angeles is nothing short of a small miracle. Especially those driving scenes (including the freeway!)

I see why he did that. He wanted to pull audiences into this world, and that's exactly what happened to me. I was sucked in from the first frame and I went for the ride. That 2:45 run time flew by like it was nothing.

And yes, that ending is bonkers. And incredibly sad once it sinks in. I'd argue this is QT's most melancholy and mature work to date. It's number two on my list behind Pulp Fiction.

Comment

i saw it. i loved it. the ending was Tarantino all the way, and what a "fvck you" to Manson and his followers. like, that's how is should've gone down. and it actually made me cheer.

the performances were amazing. maybe we stayed a little too long in some moments and maybe Robb could've had more time, because she is GOOD. in the end i was entertained and very happy to lean back and enjoy the whole thing.

but that last act? ****ing awesome!

i'm happy to watch it again, and again.

i think the first 13 minutes of inglorious basterds is one of his best dialogues scenes-- totally engrossing, though i haven't seen django, but will soon.

anyway, loved it.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I saw it twice, which is funny because after the first time I watched I thought, 'That was nice, but I don't ever need to see it again.' What pulled me back was the charm of the characters and the nostalgia for Hollywood/the entertainment biz that permeates the whole thing. It's a movie for people who love the industry by people who love the industry.

I've read most of "Helter Skelter", so I know the whole Manson/Tate story quite well. I do think this movie would have diminished value for people who don't know the story since so much of the tension/dread is based on the audience knowing what's eventually going to happen (but eventually doesn't). If you don't know who Manson and Tate are then all that stuff could be thoroughly confusing, so people watching this in 20-30 years when the general knowledge of that incident has further diminished are probably going to have a harder time connecting with the material.

It's a character-driven movie with slow pacing and a plot that lacks urgency (especially compared to something like Django). However, they stuck the landing and I think that's a big part of why the movie works. It's a slow burn for 90% of its duration and then it just goes crazy with a fun and satisfying finish.

Comment

i think you're right, DaltWisney. i stole my aunt's copy of Helter Skelter when i was in fifth grade and that's probably the reason i have a morbid interest in serial killers and unsolved cases. scary book when you look at the cover.

i love the ending of this movie because more than anything, i wish that horrible event could've been prevented. the callous disregard of those young girls after they were arrested was the most shocking aspect... they did it because someone told them to. and i hope they rot in prison.

but, the ending totally makes up for the slowish plot.

the thing i really like about some Tarantino's storytelling, is that he can take a moment in time and twist it, giving us something to cheer for against really horrific events.

Comment

I enjoyed this one very much. I am what I call a 50% Tarantino fan, meaning I like only about half of his films.

I agree with other posters here about the slow pace during the first 2/3 of this film. He could have trimmed many scenes down a bunch and still shown what he wanted without taking us all along on a slow boring ride.

The ending was thrilling and for those of us who know the story it was satisfying.

I did like that Tarantino showed 3 "classes" of people in this film. The super rich (Tate/Polanski) who seem to have no worries and just enjoy life, never really paying attention to the rest of the world. The middle people (struggling actor Rick Dalton and stuntman Cliff Booth) who aren't homeless but aren't what many consider very rich either who struggle to maintain what they do have and have the typical jealousy of the super rich. Then the lower class (Manson and his flock) who rummage around in garbage to find food and band together tightly because it's all they have.

I felt Tarantino did well showing these 3 styles or "classes" of life.

Comment

I like anything that films Hollywood. It's just a particular niche that I enjoy: i.e. Get Shorty, etc. It's fun to see familiar places. It's a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed Leo's character and Margot Robie's character. I kind of have a problem with the Bruce Lee character. Anyone who's watched any documentaries on him knows he was not like that at all. They made him out to be an arrogant a-hole that could lose a fight with Brad Pitt. Come on. The guy fought against top champions around the world. I also enjoyed that hippie Manson girl. I agree that it felt like a bunch of disjointed parts that were fine on their own, but did not feel like a cohesive whole. But, I still enjoyed it way more than the Hateful Eight, Django Unchained, Kill Bill.

Just as an aside, Manson was really after this record producer that dissed his music that happened to own that Sharon Tate house. But, the producer moved out like 8 months prior. For some reason, even though Manson knew this, he decided to slaughter everyone in that house. Manson was a little munchkin that had serious hygiene issues. It's crazy so many people followed his every word.

Comment

I did enjoy a good portion of this QT outing.

I agree about the pace. One long shot of Brad's character driving - cue soundtrack which was solid - was enough. I lived in LA. I get it. Sometimes it was the coolest place culturally in which to drive.

The only reason for the Bruce Lee scene was the Green Hornet car damage. Otherwise, my unnatural suspension of disbelief was blown.

Favorite things were experiencing LA at that time, for example the neon sign light up sequence, Leo's meltdown and recovery and Brad's trailer. The details were phenomenal overall here. I got his wish ending. But the running time... He gets director's cut. It is what it is.
                              Last edited by Ire; 08-18-2019, 12:18 PM.
                              #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Working...
                              X