No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it feasible to offer a re-write to manager

Hi guys!

Quick question... My script is currently with a few managers after I got 3 read requests based off query letters / e-mails. (which would not have happened were it not for all the generosity on this board! So thank you for helping get me this far. )

The managers have all had the script for about 3 or 4 weeks as of right now, and I haven't heard anything back yet. In the last week, I got some great notes back on the script. It's mostly smaller stuff, but I did get a good suggestion about trimming down and re-organizing a bit of the first act.

My question is, is it possible to "check in" with the managers at some point and offer this revised version if they haven't yet read the script, or is that a bad idea?

Thanks and happy Monday!

Re: Is it feasible to offer a re-write to manager

Generally no.

Comment

I wouldn't. No one wants the "Hey, if you haven't read my script already, here's a new version" email. It makes them think you sent it to them when it wasn't ready.
      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Don't follow up with a new version.
        But keep querying! (and remember which file is the latest copy!)

Comment

Originally posted by eNTerWriter
          If you think the revised version is better, then you should send it.

Managers want to see your best work, and if this new draft is best, then I say send it.
          No, don't do this. It's an amateur move.

Comment

I've made the mistake of writing someone back and asking them to read the next version of a script I've already sent to them. It was a bad idea, and it never worked out well,

JD

Comment

Okay, thanks all for your insights!

Comment

Don't bother querying until you have the best possible version of the script that you can do at that time. Get feedback, implement it through rewrites, rinse and repeat until you've got something solid. THEN query with it. Otherwise you end up with situations like this which shoot you in the foot. There are lots of writers out there and you need to make the strongest first impression that you can.

Comment

What everyone else said.

Managers are usually the ones above all others who will see potential in a script and be wiling to work WITH you on rewrites to get it where they think it needs to be to be viable. So if they passed on the material, it's safe to say they've TRULY PASSED on the material and there's nothing there they want to try to mine.

That being said, obviously it's just one voice/opinion. You may find someone who's over the moon about it. Can't tell you how many passes I've had, only to then find the right fit shortly after. Good luck!

Comment

I got a read request from a good manager last April. Got no response. I regarded it as a pass. In the meantime, I upgraded the script.

Last August, when I'm done with its revision, I just asked the manager if he's given it a pass. But amazingly, he gave me an answer the next day that he hadn't yet given it a look. I told him about its upgraded version and asked if I could send it for his consideration instead. He said yes, would read the revision.

Of course, I felt lucky that he hadn't touched the old version for last 4 months.

I second the others' opinion that it might look amateur, so I'm also trying to avoid that situation but in my case, it happened sometimes, the managers always said "yes, send it". Not knowing what they're really thinking about this...

Hope this helps.

Comment

if they pass with one or two sentences, is it cool to ask what was missing- for any detailed feedback?

Comment

Originally posted by jonbbb1 View Post
                        if they pass with one or two sentences, is it cool to ask what was missing- for any detailed feedback?
                        Managers? No. You didn't send it to them for feedback. They didn't ask for it with the expectation of feedback. You sent it for representation. They passed. It would be a bad move to ask for it. And they most likely would ignore the request. Move on. Get feedback from script exchanges with other writers you've networked with or writing groups or... if you want to spend the money, pro consultants. Then rewrite it if you need to and query other managers. I wish you good luck.

Comment

Thanks EdFury. yeah, it was a gut reaction-

Comment

Working...
                          X