Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top Films of 2013

So many promised so much but in the end, only two were left standing and inseparable: Rush and Saving Mr Banks.

Yours?
    M.A.G.A.

Re: The Top Films of 2013

Prisoners.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
      Prisoners.
      The most underappreciated film of the year. What a masterpiece of the genre.

Comment

Fruitvale Station and Before Midnight. Those two have stayed with me still, even though I liked several others.

Late Night Writer

Comment

My best list:
          Man Of Steel
          Pacific Rim
          The Way Way Back
          Before Midnight
          The Bling Ring
          Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition (I know it's a DTV film, but it's damn cool)
          Warm Bodies
          Parker
          The Kings Of Summer

Mixed feelings
          Iron Man 3 (too jokey, and the plot twist wasn't good)
          The Hangover 3 (the flaws with the second one stuck, yet Melissa McCarthy and John Goodman helped it from being total manure)

Going to see "Inside Llewyn Davis" soon.
          Last edited by Madbandit; 01-01-2014, 07:02 PM.
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Prisoners.
            I continue to hear amazing things about this film. I want to see it but I've heard it's tough to watch at certain points.

My favorite film of the year is The Wolf of Wall Street, though I'll admit I just haven't caught everything this year.

Comment

Not having seen Scorsese, McQueen or the Coen entries yet, I'm going with Gravity being beat out by Upstream Color.

Comment

Prisoners.
                This. So many films this year I was excited about, only to be let down. Prisoners was one of very few I didn't have to accept flaws and force myself to like it. Such a strong, solid entry in the noir genre. Jackman's best work since The Prestige.

I'm still waiting to see Her, and Inside Llewyn Davis before finalizing my mental list, but I have strong doubts anything will top Prisoners for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                  So many promised so much but in the end, only two were left standing and inseparable: Rush and Saving Mr Banks.

Yours?
                  I keep forgetting about Rush, but I think that's more because nobody talks about it than because it wasn't a great film (it was). Bruhl and Hemsworth were fantastic. It's a real shame neither will get much notice for it.

Comment

I haven't seen a lot of the major "best of the year" competitors this year, but here are my favorite films of the ones I did see... Pretty much in order.

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
                    GRAVITY
                    SHORT TERM 12
                    CHEAP THRILLS
                    THE CONJURING
                    THIS IS THE END
                    DON JON (Sundance cut, didn't see theatrical)

Also, SPRING BREAKERS (I saw in 2012, but want to make sure you think I'm not intentionally skipping it). If I put it in order, it'd probably be right after Gravity.

Comment

I haven't seen Wolf yet. Of the films I did see, Gravity was the best. Cuaron's done better and the special effects are grossly overrated (What's impressive about 2K CGI?) but, still, it's a damn good film. I was also fond of Upstream Color and Trance.

Edit: And Saving Mr. Banks. But whom on this forum didn't love that movie?

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                        I haven't seen Wolf yet. Of the films I did see, Gravity was the best. Cuaron's done better and the special effects are grossly overrated (What's impressive about 2K CGI?)
                        All movies ever made, except for a couple of exceptions in the last couple of years, have been essentially 2K. I think many have had nice effects.

Comment

I'm not saying you can't do good special effects at 2K, I'm saying that Gravity's weren't particularly good. There's nothing novel about 2K CGI and Gravity's animators didn't come closer to photorealism than any others that I've seen. However, I thought their remote head-light box combo was an interesting adaptation of the digital backlot; I'll gladly give them credit for that.

Comment

My favorites were, in no particular order:

MUD
                            GRAVITY
                            PRISONERS
                            CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
                            SIDE EFFECTS

Also liked:
                            THE SPECTACULAR NOW
                            CATCHING FIRE
                            WARM BODIES

I haven't seen any of the late-2013 releases yet, with the exception of AMERICAN HUSTLE (not a fan).

Comment

I though World War Z was pretty good too. I'm surprised to see that these review averages:

-Metacritic: 63 (out of 100)
                              -Rottentomatoes: 67%
                              -IMDb: 7.1 (out of 10)
                              -Filmaffinity: 6.2 (out of 10)

Especially when a mess (to me) like The Dark Knight Rises goes:

-Metacritic: 78
                              -Rottentomatoes: 88%
                              -IMDb: 8.6
                              -Filmaffinity: 7.5

Maybe WWZ wasn't spectacular enough? Maybe people expected more action? I don't know. Anyway, I've enjoyed it very much, so there's that.

Comment

Working...
                              X