Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agent/manager expectations

Hi all - I just signed with my first manager a few weeks ago. Like her a whole lot but the trouble is this - I never hear from her. She has two of my scripts that she is supposedly shopping around, and I do know she got one to Hugh Jackman. Here's the thing - I know enough from trying to get an agent or manager for awhile to know that if the phone is quiet - there ain't no interest. Either my manager isn't really putting much time into my stuff (and I realize the market is slow right now) or she is and we're getting no interest. Neither is very palatable. If I call her I feel like I'm being a needy pest - but I'd love to know she made X phone calls and had X meeting - or not - and that things are moving along - or not. Anything is better than silence. What kind of expectations should I have for a manager with only a handful of clients? Do I need to cool my jets or should I be kept in some kind of loop?

My advice: be cool, be patient, give it ten more days and then call.

Comment

Just because you have a manager now is no reason to rest on your laurels and wait for her to make something happen.

Keep writing, keep networking. Most of the jobs you will get you will through your own efforts. The only difference now is when someone says, I'd like to read your script, do you have representation, you can honestly answer yet. Then your manager can submit for you.

It's okay to let your manager know what you want to accomplish, and ask her how you can help her. Let her know what you're doing so that you don't overlap on your efforts.

Bonita

Comment

First off, welcome to Done Deal, soonergirll and congrats on the manager! I've only had my first agent for seven months now, so I know what you're going through - well, minus the up and coming movie star reading my script.

A few thoughts-

If you're going through what I went through, you have to get over any awe you might have of your manager. If your manager is working and juggling other clients, she's going to be way too busy to call you and update you on everything she does. Go ahead and give her a call every 7-14 days. Just say you're checking in - update her on anything you're doing, ask her any questions you might have, and keep those lines of communication open.

As for the waiting, it's brutal, ain't it? Brian Michael Bendis' comic bo-, errrrrrr, graphic novel, "Fortune & Glory", has a great speech about what it's like to wait for the agents and production companies to decide if they're going to fulfill his lifelong dreams - the excitement, the fear, the self-loathing.

And of course, echoing what Bonita says, don't just wait. Keep writing! Best of luck!

[EDIT - Fixed Bendis' name]

Comment

Welcome to the board!
          I'm in the same boat, for I just signed with my manager about three weeks ago.
          Just take it cool, keep writing and devloping new ideas, which your manager might want you to run by her.

Congrats though, it's a great feeling to be able to say "Yeah, I'm repped."

See ya.

Comment

Great advice from Invader and Ghost: I just signed with a manager, as well, and they know the score.

Comment

Your manager, if she is a good one, is suppose to communicate with you at least 2-3 times a week. There is no such thing as she is too busy for you because she has other clients. She has assistants to help her. She is suppose to operate as if you're her only client -- she is suppose to give you attention. That's what managers do.

If you have questions, you must call her. For this business relationship to work, there has to be complete symbioses of client and manager understanding. It is your career. You have the right to know how it's molding in her hands. And as your manager, she should be happy to hear from you if you have suggestions and ideas.

You both must feed off of each other. Not play aloof or sit in the sidelines out of fear.

Comment

We were offered a deal for representation by a manager at a 10%/10% commission. No fees, but they expect you to work with their team to rewrite and polish before sending out. Is this normal?

Comment

Crash makes a very important point. Make sure your manager/agent is there for you, for at the bottom line, if you don't make money, they don't make money, a very key thing to remember.

I haven't been with my manager long, but he has so far always responded to my emails, or phone calls right away. From what i hear, that is what all good reps do, be they agents or managers.

A key thing here is, and I forget this myself, is that they believe in your talent. THEY want to rep YOU. Don't get into the trap of believing that they are doing you some favor by repping you (though I feel mine must be crazy to have repped me!). It's the textbook give/take relationship, and not you give, they take! When I said "play it cool", I didn't mean sit in a corner, I meant act like a professional who has something to bring to the table, cuz you do.

I'm making a few changes to the script that got my manager's notice, based on his creative team's input, so I can't speak to communication once a script has gone out. All I can say is, up to this point, he's been there.

Your experience may vary, but I hope only in a good way!

Comment

thanks everybody for your comments and comiseration and support! I have definitely kept on writing and developing other ideas because I can't quite help myself - this is my full time pursuit and I've got too much time and heart invested to stop now. It's an odd transition finally getting management because something you've worked for for so long - getting representation - finally comes along and it's like wait - where's all the big meetings and power lunches? She's been my manager now for two months. I know things don't happen overnight, however, having been courting agents and managers for a couple of years now trying to GET one, it's hard to mentally shift out of puhlease puhlease want me/read me to a mutually beneficial business relationship where I don't feel stupid calling after two weeks just to say hey. It brings me back to my Fear of Stalking days when I was looking for representation.

There seem to be two schools of thought - one is hey, she works for/with you, she should call you and check in while you sit home writing more masterpieces (huh!). And the other is that I should somehow drum up interest and then just pass it along to my manager - well, how am I supposed to do that? Do I query production companies myself? I was under the impression a) that that is her job; it's what she does daily, she knows people, she is experienced and b) that if I were to get on the horn and start calling or querying production companies, even though I am repped, I would lose points somehow in seeming do be doing my own hoofing? No?

soonergirll

Comment

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> We were offered a deal for representation by a manager at a 10%/10% commission. No fees, but they expect you to work with their team to rewrite and polish before sending out. Is this normal? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
                      Trisha - Reputable managers don't charge fees and will make their living off the commission (usually 10%). Some managers are more hands-on than others - some will work with you and expect to be attached as a producer if/when the script sells. Others are more agent-like and have no interest in being attached.

I don't know what a 10%/10% commission is, so I can't tell you if that's normal. But the working with them to rewrite and polish - while not all managers do that, some do.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I know things don't happen overnight, however, having been courting agents and managers for a couple of years now trying to GET one, it's hard to mentally shift out of puhlease puhlease want me/read me to a mutually beneficial business relationship where I don't feel stupid calling after two weeks just to say hey. It brings me back to my Fear of Stalking days when I was looking for representation. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
                      Yup - that's the awe of your manager that I was speaking of. The first few times I called my agent, I was terrified that he'd changed his mind. It was stupid and silly of me, but like you, I'd spent years trying to get repped and I was in awe of the man who let me in the door.

You have to get over that awe.

As Crash and AWG have stated, the manager is lucky to have you - not the other way around. Or if you can't see yourself as the boss yet, then think of it as a partnership. Whatever you do, keep in mind that YOU are the "talent" in the partnership.
                      <!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> There seem to be two schools of thought - one is hey, she works for/with you, she should call you and check in while you sit home writing more masterpieces (huh!). And the other is that I should somehow drum up interest and then just pass it along to my manager - well, how am I supposed to do that? Do I query production companies myself? I was under the impression a) that that is her job; it's what she does daily, she knows people, she is experienced and b) that if I were to get on the horn and start calling or querying production companies, even though I am repped, I would lose points somehow in seeming do be doing my own hoofing? No? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
                      They're not really two separate schools of thought. Ideally, you should be doing BOTH.

Definitely call in and check in with the manager. Maybe she's playing phone tag with the people she's sent the script to - maybe she's going to follow-up with them next week - maybe Hugh's person loved it but Hugh's not going to be able to read it until he's back from Canada. You don't know unless you talk to her.

Again, the lines of communication should be open between you two.

But in addition to letting your manager tell people how great you are, you have to tell people how great you are. Writers I know all get more work from their own hustle than from waiting for their rep. My first paid writing job had nothing to do with the agent. An old friend of mine passed my specs to a producer who hired me.

There should be nothing wrong with querying production companies and doing your own legwork. HOWEVER - talk to your manager first (that line of communication thing). Maybe she'll want you to hold off for a few weeks. Maybe she has some tips - maybe she'll tell you who not to bug or maybe she'll know who you should bug.

So call your manager! And have no fear!

Comment

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> And the other is that I should somehow drum up interest and then just pass it along to my manager - well, how am I supposed to do that?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

It starts by your manager getting you meetings from the strength of your script. Give it another four months. If your manager hasn't gotten you a single meeting by then, fire your manager and move on.

Comment

bendis?

:rolleyes

Comment

Don't wait for your manager to do something - do it yourself. Get out there and get your scripts to production companies. Start the ball rolling.

A manager isn't really supposed to deal with the sales side of the biz, anyway.

- Bill (no rep)

Comment

As to whether a manager should be working with you on developing material, some managers are more proactive than others, and some have good development people already on their team. They want to take your spec out in the most marketable way imaginable, so that studios and producers won't look at it and think, "Hmm, this needs work, rewrites, time, money... Love the idea, but it's a little unfocussed and the second act is a mess", but rather, "This is just about ready to go. We'll draw up a contract."

If their creative people are good, they'll get to the heart of your script and work with you closely on refining and sharpening it until it's studio-ready. I've found the process to be hugely helpful and educational.

Comment

Working...
                              X