Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Hi Michael,

Was wondering what your expectations are of clients both old and new with regards to productivity?

How long do you expect clients to take to get outlines/treatments in shape, complete re-writes? Deliver first drafts, and subsequent versions?

Do you have a rough time-line you like writers to work to (I guess with eventual phasing over to a paid gig where the studio has its standard expectations of deadlines).

EJ
    Last edited by EJ Pennypacker; 05-17-2012, 06:38 AM. Reason: relabel the thread, why not...

Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

As fast as they can while being able to write the best they can. Every writer is different, some write very fast, others slowly. Ideally after an idea has been thoroughly outlined, I'm happy if a 1st draft is sent to me in 10 to 12 weeks. That is just a 1st draft though. Developing a spec with a client (from idea to market ready) is never a fast process, usually 5 to 8 months (but that is just a very broad guesstimate).
    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Thank you Michaelb. Most instructive. What is your realistic expectation of the number of specs a client can produce in a given year?

Comment

Depends on the writer, what level they are at, assignments, etc. 1, maybe 2.

Sometimes it can take a long time just to find the idea that's worth writing.

It's always a case by case basis.
        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Is it an expectation of yours that they keep writing specs on their own and if they do do help them manage that process?

For example, your charge has what he thinks is a hot idea, maybe the pitch and the outline aren't that polished and you work with them... maybe you happen to know there is a competing (similar) property on the grid and wether it will actually sell or float through production onto the screen, but you don't want your Guy to miss out on assignments whilst directing his energy on something you know is a low percentage shot.

I suppose I'm wondering how a manager directs and guides a writer's career (internally and externally) in the marketplace and the daily challenges you face doing so and if managing the Writer themselves is more difficult than managing Industry relationships and the market's expectations.

I think I just asked you ten questions in three paragraphs... sorry.
          He who laughs last is mentally slow

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post

Sometimes it can take a long time just to find the idea that's worth writing.
            Hitching myself to an idea and taking those first few steps of the marathon is my biggest weakness. In any given year I waste months workshopping ideas that never come together.

I need a Robotard 8000.

Comment

I'd be keen to know to what degree you try and typecast a writer into a certain genre, and also the extent to which you encourage them to go for assignments as opposed to the spec route.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. It's a valuable insight.

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteJest View Post
                1. Is it an expectation of yours that they keep writing specs on their own and if they do do help them manage that process?

2. For example, your charge has what he thinks is a hot idea, maybe the pitch and the outline aren't that polished and you work with them... maybe you happen to know there is a competing (similar) property on the grid and wether it will actually sell or float through production onto the screen, but you don't want your Guy to miss out on assignments whilst directing his energy on something you know is a low percentage shot.

3. I suppose I'm wondering how a manager directs and guides a writer's career (internally and externally) in the marketplace and the daily challenges you face doing so and if managing the Writer themselves is more difficult than managing Industry relationships and the market's expectations.

I think I just asked you ten questions in three paragraphs... sorry.
                1. Yes, if they are not working on assignment, they are working on pitches and specs.

2. Those are two separate things. Once you are at the level where you can book assignments, you are A. Going up for assignments while B. Working on a spec. Once you book an assignment, you focus on that (unless you can multitask and do both).

3. I could talk for hours about how to answer this question. Not blowing it off, but just don't have the time to write pages and pages for this answer. I'll just say it takes a lot of planning and strategy. Forming and maintaining Industry relationships has always been a strong point for me, I network a lot.
                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Smargiassi View Post
                  Hitching myself to an idea and taking those first few steps of the marathon is my biggest weakness. In any given year I waste months workshopping ideas that never come together.

I need a Robotard 8000.
                  It's always hard to have those "ah ha!" moments when the light bulb goes off and lightning strikes. While rare, I find having that burning passion for a great idea is always better than just settling on one.
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Michaelb: thanks for hanging on the DD boards. I've been really enjoying (and profiting) from your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Be Not Nobody View Post
                      I'd be keen to know to what degree you try and typecast a writer into a certain genre, and also the extent to which you encourage them to go for assignments as opposed to the spec route.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. It's a valuable insight.
                      A great writer is a great writer. It sometimes can be easier to sell someone that is known as a great "Action writer" or "Comedy writer" or whatever the genre may be, versus someone that is all over the place. That being said, as long as you are a great writer and have a great sample for that genre, that is what counts.

It is very hard to get your first assignment. You have to keep churning out new material until you land that first one.
                      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
                        Michaelb: thanks for hanging on the DD boards. I've been really enjoying (and profiting) from your posts.
                        No problem. Happy to help.
                        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

How do reps and yourself feel about a writer querying or you reading a clients older spec that was well received but has already gone wide?

Is there any life in a spec once it's already gone wide?

do reps shy away from this, or if they do take to it, give it another "go"?

Comment

Than you for the answer Mb. It helps to hear a little bit about how Managers go about their work and what they expect from clients in terms of their "Partnership".
                            He who laughs last is mentally slow

Comment

Originally posted by ChristmasTree View Post
                              1. How do reps and yourself feel about a writer querying or you reading a clients older spec that was well received but has already gone wide?

2. Is there any life in a spec once it's already gone wide?

3. do reps shy away from this, or if they do take to it, give it another "go"?
                              1. Not sure what you mean by this in re: querying. If a writer has an agent and manager, they are not sending out queries. Their reps send it out. Once a script has gone out wide, you begin to use it as a sample for assignments, and hopefully will still find a home for that script (that can take years).

2. Yes, always. I love working in MP Lit (features) because you can always be working towards getting something made. Even if it takes years, you can always be proactive. Sometimes you might have to wait for a particular genre to get hot again, but there is always a chance.

3. Just because a spec went out wide it does not mean the script is dead. That being said, writers should always be working on new material.
                              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                              X