Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to VirtualPitchFest

I've decided to give VPF a shot. It seems legit, and like some people on here have had some luck, so I'm hoping to get some advice.
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not it is better to start with agencies or production companies?
    Also, I write martial arts/action movies and a couple of the listings look like a good fit, but they are based in Asia and the UK. Is it worth pitching foreign companies?
    Thanks!

Re: new to VirtualPitchFest

I emailed VPF and asked them this very question. They suggested I go with both. Spread it out.

But I was under the assumption that you'd only being querying reps if you're looking for representation. Some people may not be interested in representation and want to simply work with an attorney... at least starting out.

Are you looking for representation?

Comment

Re: New to VirtualPitchFest

I've had 0% success rate on VPF over the years, I literally have better luck cold emailing query letters than this site. I've done up to 25+ pitches and get the same 1- 2 word rejection responses back everytime. I'm not pitching anything weird either, high concept, commercial stuff, most of the scripts have been in top in a few contests so I just dont get it. I wish for a PAID service they would require the pro's to give a bit more feedback.

Waste of money imo...

Comment

I've had a good experience. I think, even with cold queries, you really have to jump off the page with a logline and your actual query. I've actually had people compliment me on the queries. You only have one shot to get these people's attention so you need to make the best of it.

Comment

CrissCross, do you mind my asking which genre(s) you write?

I've had a hit or miss experience with VPF. I wouldn't be unhappy if the generic canned "pass" responses would fall away in favor of even just a few quick personalized reasons. "Doesn't grab me" could mean anything and everything.

Another thing I don't like are the pros listing the genres they're accepting - you pitch that genre and your pass response is "we already have a (genre) in development." Great! Then remove it from your want list until you're in the position to resume receiving them. I've just thrown $10 down the drain thanks to you not updating your list.

Just as bad is "we have another script like yours in development." I check out IMDB (realize they're not that reliable) and the online trades and find nothing. A polite pass? A lie? $10 later it's still a pass.

Comment

I veer towards comedy but my latest was a biopic which has garnered a bit of attention. One thing I will say is that don't take any of the responses on VP to heart. Even though you poured your heart and soul into the script, all these people do is read your query and with one click can dash your dreams and all that hard work. I mean you can come up with the greatest idea for a script, execute it to perfection, and someone can say they have something similar. It's bullshit. Think of it as a momentary roadblock and move on. Just go with the flow and hopefully you will find the right script and put it in the right hands. This was my recent success story on VP... but just like you still waiting for someone to purchase it or put it into development. Any day now....

Dear Writers,

Today only, we have a very special FREE PITCHES deal just for you because you opened our last blast! Details below, but first, we've had MORE VPF SUCCESS as Bohemia Entertainment Group optioned a spec from writers Ron Pivo & Kevin Courtney! After the story hit "Variety,- Bohemia's Justin L. Ross writes:

"THE GET is the only screenplay I hunted down personally so far just from reading the logline on VPF. I said to myself, 'if these guys even remotely cracked this story...this could be something special.' Well, they did far more than that. Thanks VPF and your awesome site and service to producers and writers alike."

Comment

CrissCross, thank you. And that's great about your biopic! You're right about hard work and getting the right story into the right hands at the right time.

Comment

I've had pretty decent response from them - one script (which had made the rounds years ago but still could play because it's period - at the time it went a lot of places via agent but didn't sell) got 6/18 responses to send; still no one bit but got around 4 personal responses why beyond generic. So I like them. Yeah, the generic responses feel like sh*t but that goes with the territory.

Comment

I paid for 12 pitches, got four requests and one rejection from the people I sent it to. What I like is the query letter tool, which they help you fill out, and the fact that you can target companies based on what they are seeking.

Comment

Most of the agents listed on VPF aren't really agents. Their names don't appear on the agency rosters listed in IMDB Pro, so I assume they're junior assistants looking to pick up a few extra bucks. They also use personal email addresses rather than their agency email addresses. So I doubt they're participating in VPF under the auspices of their agency. I had script requests from about half a dozen of these individuals at the end of last year and haven't received an answer from any of them. I've been at this long enough to know that silence usually means a pass, but, come on. I paid for the service. Live up to your side of the deal. Am I supposed to pay another $10 to VPF in order to get a formal rejection?

Comment

Agreed. And to add... I encountered one company that was listed as a manager but they were not managers. They were a production company. Is this the worst thing? Well, I pitched them for representation. Not the biggest slight but at the time I was encountering issues with VPF meaning a % of people I was pitching to were either not in the network anymore or never responded in any way or shape to the pitch. It seemed like I was catching mistakes daily. Yes, they allow you to make a new pitch if they make an error or a company they claim to have is not in the network anymore HOWEVER I usually wanted that exact company and found myself selecting production companies I never would have paid for in the first place. It also felt like I was an unofficial fact checker for them at times.

Comment

Working...
                      X