Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To option my script (for $1) or not?

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
    ..What a joke. Live and learn, right?
    We need to just keep writing. Eventually something will sell. When it does, we'll have a whopping big stockpile of stuff in reserve, to take advantage of the heat that sale offers.

After Stephen King got popular, everybody wanted to make a movie of every logline and two-bit synopsis he'd ever written on a serviette.

Comment

I would never do it.

We even declined two options that were lowball on high budget properties.

Think of it this way...

how much attention do you think a producer is going to give for a project he paid $1 for versus the one he shelled out $10k or $50K for?

'nuf said.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by sidgrey View Post
        this is kind of my point. i have no contact, i also have a primarily minority cast and am a minority myself, so entry into the industry is tougher with the package of me and this story. What I DO have going for me is that the script went finalist in half a dozen competitions, so if I dont give them the option I could start pitching people again via stage32 etc, but thats not an easy road (or cheap) either.
        My question is:

Why does he want to option it, now?

If he's been content shopping it around informally until now, what changed?

A real option agreement is a complex negotiation because it includes sale terms. You're actually negotiating the sale - you're just not executing it yet. So you'd need to have a lawyer involved. If the producer WAS happy with a more informal shopping agreement, and NOW wants to lock down sales terms, why is that?

Comment

What Ronaldinho said.

If the producer has shopped it around for a while with no bites but now abruptly wants to go through the formality of locking it down for a buck, there's a reason. It's possible there's an interested party he hasn't mentioned to you, lest you jam him for a few grand.
          https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Working...
          X