Very unique situation - how to query manager/agent?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very unique situation - how to query manager/agent?

Hi all,

Need advice. I have a Dallas-based literary manager whom has helped me publish several things in the past. But last year, I attempted a somewhat ridiculous venture that is now, surprisingly, starting to pay off.

I broke the cardinal sin of writing: I wrote a screenplay for an existing franchise.

But this year, I let my manager read it, and he fell completely in love with it. Thanks to many of his efforts, the script has really picked-up steam and several media outlets have picked up the story about me writing the screenplay, and are even considering it the next volume in the franchise. In fact, two very influential "faces" of the franchise are now rallying for the script to be produced.

(Yes, I've already consulted a copyright/trademark entertainment attorney in L.A., and he said I'm doing nothing wrong.)

This is where I need advice:

My manager has said the momentum has outgrown him and I really need to find representation in L.A. to handle it from here - which he assures me shouldn't be too hard with the media buzz going on about it now.

I'm fine with doing that, but it seems ridiculous to send a traditional query to managers and agencies under these circumstances. Especially with it being for a franchise.

Would it be better just to send an email with a brief explanation of what's going on, adding links to all the media interest, and giving a quick breakdown of my experience and my other existing produced (and unproduced) works -- rather than a traditional query?

Or will most managers and agents close the email the instant they see it's not written in the traditional format?

All opinions are highly coveted. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Cokeyskunk; 11-19-2018, 10:10 AM.

Re: Very unique situation - how to query manager/agent?

You just need to start making some phone calls to the powers that be that control the IP. In reality the "buzz" in the local media won't matter to an LA based producer or studio, but can't hurt to mention it. I would basically just pick up the phone and make a couple calls.

You may have to call a person or twos reps before you get anywhere but you can get all those numbers from IMDB Pro and start calling. Good luck.
    Eric
    www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
      You just need to start making some phone calls to the powers that be that control the IP. In reality the "buzz" in the local media won't matter to an LA based producer or studio, but can't hurt to mention it. I would basically just pick up the phone and make a couple calls.

You may have to call a person or twos reps before you get anywhere but you can get all those numbers from IMDB Pro and start calling. Good luck.
      Already spoke to someone there. They said without it being submitted by a manager or agent, it's considered "unsolicited material," which they do not accept. However, they did say, "We'll be happy to read it when your representative submits it."

So, I have to go this route.

Comment

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
        Already spoke to someone there. They said without it being submitted by a manager or agent, it's considered "unsolicited material," which they do not accept. However, they did say, "We'll be happy to read it when your representative submits it."

At this point, doesn't your current literary manager still represent you? If so, can't he submit the material for you -- especially since it was his suggestion in the first place?

I probably missed something. I can be pretty dense.

Good luck.
        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
          At this point, doesn't your current literary manager still represent you? If so, can't he submit the material for you -- especially since it was his suggestion in the first place?

I probably missed something. I can be pretty dense.

Good luck.
          He could, but he has asked me to find an L.A. manager or agent to take it from here, as he feels they could do much more than him.

So, I need to know the best way to query: must I go traditional formatting, or would a quick, descriptive email with links be the best option?
          Last edited by Cokeyskunk; 11-19-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

That's the polite way of saying they aren't interested.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
              That's the polite way of saying they aren't interested.
              She was very much a gatekeeper. Probably a receptionist. It's extremely likely she's been told to tell everyone they only accept and read solicited material, which is exactly what she did.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best approach to an management company or agency for this?

Comment

In fact, two very influential "faces" of the franchise are now rallying for the script to be produced.
                Seems like this is your answer. If they are behind it, just ask them to put in a word with their reps, and they should be able to hook you up.

Comment

Originally posted by jsb235 View Post
                  Seems like this is your answer. If they are behind it, just ask them to put in a word with their reps, and they should be able to hook you up.

One is considering it. He is reading the script now. The other no longer has representation, so he's not an option.

But I'd like to not keep all my eggs in that one basket and venture out on my own efforts. I just need to know the best way to approach.

Again, a very healthy amount of momentum has grown from this, and my STARmeter on IMDb has skyrocketed, as a result. The time to approach is now. I just need to know if I should send them a brief email describing the situation, or if I'll be ignored if I don't submit in traditional query format?

Comment

He could, but he has asked me to find an L.A. manager or agent to take it from here, as he feels they could do much more than him.
                    Easier said than done.

I'm not feeling this manager. Can't this manager act as a introductory conduit to L.A. managers, such as, I represent a writer (name writer) who's getting a lot of heat from the press and (name of two influential faces) about (franchise script) and I'd like to connect him to an LA. manager. Can I send an original sample of his work for your consideration and possibility of representation?

In order to demonstrate your abilities as a writer, it's best to let the L.A. people, who you are looking to represent you, look at a strong, original sample, but of course if they ask to read the franchise script...

The foundation of a franchise script was developed by someone else, i.e., world, characters, etc. L.A. people would want to know if you could achieve great writing without pigging backing on someone else's work.

Also, another problem with trying to break in with a franchise script is that these are usually cash cows for studios and they usually like to have proven professional writers (screenplay writers) on board to protect their baby. I say usually because there are exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                      Easier said than done.

I'm not feeling this manager. Can't this manager act as a introductory conduit to L.A. managers, such as, I represent a writer (name writer) who's getting a lot of heat from the press and (name of two influential faces) about (franchise script) and I'd like to connect him to an LA. manager. Can I send an original sample of his work for your consideration and possibility of representation?
                      Already asked. He doesn't have any L.A. connections. I mean, I could ask him to send an email (or many) on my behalf, but would it really be worth it? Wouldn't it mean more coming from me, showing my ambition to get the work done? An L.A. manager or agent isn't going to know my manager from Adam (or me, for that matter) -- so how much weight is it going to have for a Dallas-based manager to write to an L.A.-based manager FOR me?

Also, admittedly, the dude's a busy guy. I know he couldn't dedicate the kind of time to securing me an agent that I could.

I just really need to know the best way how.

In order to demonstrate your abilities as a writer, it's best to let the L.A. people, who you are looking to represent you, look at a strong, original sample, but of course if they ask to read the franchise script...

The foundation of a franchise script was developed by someone else, i.e., world, characters, etc. L.A. people would want to know if you could achieve great writing without pigging backing on someone else's work.
                      I may have not clarified: I do have several other scripts and novels to present for review. Original works containing solely my own creations. But this screenplay is what is getting all the interest right now. Yes absolutely, I can submit my other work along with it. I just need to know the best way to approach.

Long-and-short of it - if I send an L.A. management company or agency a factual email with a quick description of the situation, complete with links to articles about my work, along with sites that showcase my experience, will that be immediately discarded because it was not written in the traditional query format?

Comment

I just really need to know the best way how.
                        There is no yellow brick road that will lead you into the welcoming arms of Hollywood.

Yes, a manager being outside of the L.A. industry is a tough situation, but I believe him sending emails off to LA. managers on your behalf is stronger than you doing it alone with the standard query route.

Using the manager gives some cred that you've been vetted, especially if he's a successful manager in his area. It's a better look to have a manager tote your horn about the great press, etc., than you toting your own horn.

As for the manager being too busy to champion you, that's bogus. He's suppose to believe in you. I've assume you had a good working relationship with him and maybe even made him some money since you say you had some success getting something published/produced.

If you don't want, or can't get the manager to champion you, then you got to hit the road doing it the old fashion way with queries to managers.

Getting a request to read from a query with a franchise script is going to be tough, but try it. If you don't get any response, then send out queries with a high concept logline of an original script. If you get interest and they ask about other work, you can bring up the franchise script.

I know you're in a hurry (ain't we all), but it's tough to be an overnight success in the world of Hollywood.

Comment

Also, another problem with trying to break in with a franchise script is that these are usually cash cows for studios and they usually like to have proven professional writers (screenplay writers) on board to protect their baby. I say usually because there are exceptions.
                          This, a hundred times this. Reps roll their eyes at "Green Lantern was terrible so here's a good one" and the like. It's a legal nightmare for a start as they fear you suing them should the franchise get rebooted without you but they read your script. Get repped with an amazing original, then get a general meeting with the producers or studio of the original, then bring it up in the room.

Comment

Would it be better just to send an email with a brief explanation of what's going on, adding links to all the media interest, and giving a quick breakdown of my experience and my other existing produced (and unproduced) works -- rather than a traditional query?
                            Yep. That's fine. Do it.

It's hard to give anything more than general advice without knowing the franchise or seeing the articles so that I can gauge the actual heat.

But I disagree with some of the previous posters. Yes, your probability of anything coming of this is low-low-low. No, I don't see any realistic downside to firing off a handful of cold queries anyway. The worst that will happen is you'll be ignored.

So do it. There are plenty of reps in the sea. Target ten or twenty of them and see if you get nibbles.

In the meantime, try to connect with the "faces of the franchise" and see if they can push the boulder. Also, lean on your current rep to see if he has any contacts in LA. Maybe he knows an entertainment attorney, or maybe an agent who works in the book division of a big agency.

The thing is, I don't think fanning the flames of this represents any real risk to your career. It might start a lasting relationship. Or it might all be forgotten in a week. Whatever.

Comment

got some good advise going from good peeps.

heading down the traditional route, you could easily query managers yourself. i have always received responses to my query letters via email. always. it's a numbers game.

managers that are interested in selling a movie and feel the logline/pitch is solid will always contact you back. the subject line of the email is your first key.

but, i am a little confused by this:
                              But this year, I let my manager read it, and he fell completely in love with it. Thanks to many of his efforts, the script has really picked-up steam and several media outlets have picked up the story about me writing the screenplay, and are even considering it the next volume in the franchise. In fact, two very influential "faces" of the franchise are now rallying for the script to be produced.
                              "who" is considering the next volume in the franchise? the franchise owner? or are the media "speculating" that it could be the next franchise direction? i'm a little confused.

and you say "two very influential "faces" of the franchise are now rallying... but then you follow that up with: One is considering it. He is reading the script now. The other no longer has representation, so he's not an option.

don't get me wrong, i'm trying to help. it seems a little odd that one is "considering" helping and at the same time "rallying to get it produced," this seems contradictory, doesn't it? the other person doesn't have representation any longer? not to be negative, but how much influence can these two actually have? take this with a grain of salt, because we're working with limited information.

and i'm not sure, but if you send a query looking to hire an agent or manager without the express consent of the copyright holder, it seems that you are in fact, infringing on their IP rights.

so what i would say, is if the franchise owner has given you permission to use the material as a sample, then yes, i would send a query letter stating in the subject line that you have a "Spec Script authorized by the Franchise Holder," and name the franchise. that should at least get the email opened and read.

But if you do not have authorization by the franchise holder to use the material, it is not yours to showcase, or represent as your own work, because the reality is that the franchise owner still owns all the rights, and you have "no rights" to the work you actually wrote.

i am not a lawyer. i am not a produced writer. but if someone took one of my completed works and wrote a spin off episode or sequel, i would have lawyers up their a$$ in a heartbeat. just sayin'.

something just feels a little off. i don't know if any of that helped. honestly not trying to be a negative nancy. sorry.
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                              X