Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Writers & Scripts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
MacG

Default This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

http://www.mypdfscripts.com/thelates...-legal-demands

A great site has just been hobbled.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
roscoegino

Default Re: This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

Yeah. That site was a godsend. Especially when it first got off the ground. Hate to go back to paying for stuff ... or reading them for a limited time at The Herrick ... or borrowing Shooting Script Series screenplays to films I'm not fond of.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Conz
User

are there any sites left to download new scripts? i used to get them off scriptshadow, got a few here, and i have no clue where else to look.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
wcmartell

And the thing with both the Warner Bros & 20th Fox things is that they are *not* just targeting development scripts, they are going after all scripts. Out of the *100* scripts in the PJ suit, only *one* was in development - the rest are things like DIE HARD. The WB thing is *only* about old scripts. The Don Murphy thing was *only* about old scripts.

The "development scripts" argument is a smoke screen - that's not what's happening. WB isn't about projects in development at all. It's about scripts that have been online for decades and movies that may be out of print on DVD.

Yet (as is mentioned in the piece) studios are not offering a legal place to buy screenplays in original form for screenwriters to study, and the best general advice everyone gives is to read screenplays.

Okay, we can no longer read screenplays - how do we learn how to write?

What is the ripple effect of this 10 years down the road?

- Bil
Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Hamboogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post

Okay, we can no longer read screenplays - how do we learn how to write?

What is the ripple effect of this 10 years down the road?

- Bil
There's still hundreds of scripts available online. As well as screenplay books one can purchase online.

The ripple effect of this, as far as number of writers go, in 10 years will be nada.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
wcmartell

Right now this is Fox and WB, what if the other studios jump in and all of the screenplays online are gone? I think the WB lawyers are following Fox, and that means the Uni and Par and Sony and Disney lawyers are typing up papers right now.

Potentially, screenplays gone from online... and then those Script City places with paper copies are closed down.

Published book versions of scripts: - I think they are pointless for many important aspects of learning to write scripts - since they often change the page length/size/numbering. When I was learning to write, pacing by page number was one of the most important things I learned. Can't do that if they've messed up the format for a book. Also - you usually get the "conformed version" - which isn't just the shooting script, but an edited version that removes scenes that didn't end up in the release print of the movie. You aren't getting the actual script.

If the studios offered scripts for sale, that'd be great - I'd buy them. But right now WB is removing the scripts without offering any legal place to get them. Give us a place to legally obtain scripts so that we can learn.

- Bill
Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
LIMAMA

My two cents....saying that this is only about copyright protection is like saying that the Titanic sinking was only about it hitting an iceberg.

It's not black and white, it's very gray, there are other issues at play.

Last edited by LIMAMA : 03-16-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: me
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
sc111

I don't get it, that's for sure.

Unless they're going to turn a profit on the scripts they own -- set up little online catalogs with a price per script -- I can't see the up side of protecting 20+ year-old scripts like Die Hard that have been floating around the net for over a dozen years.

Not to mention -- if they all intend to sue those offering Die Hard scripts online under copyright law, how do they explain to the court why they ignored those old scripts online, failed to assert their copyright, for so many years?