Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Writers & Scripts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #201
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

How about wrapping this thread up soon, please, now that it's hit the 200 mark. It's just dragging on and some seem to be arguing just to argue.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #202
JeffLowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbn View Post
Here's the problem with you throwing out your "interpretations" of the law - it could do a lot of harm.
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. There's a group of people on the various screenwriting boards who have no respect for intellectual property. (I know, of all groups...)

When the Scriptshadow controversy blew up over the sharing of unproduced scripts, there was no shortage of armchair lawyers (and at least one actual lawyer) who spewed nonsense about educational use and a thousand other misused and misunderstood reasons why nothing could ever go wrong, and studios and writers couldn't protect their work...

Ask PJ how that advice worked out.

Same thing with pirated TV shows and movies - a lot of the same people spring up and explain why it's fine to steal. I'm not going to laugh if/when the hammer falls on those people... No, wait. I will laugh. Heartily.

Copyright is serious shit. Thank god! The less it's respected, the less money available for all of us who want to make a living writing.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #203
sc111

Just for the record, after the Fox thing, I did ask PJ if she had read the Scriptshadow/August controversy. She did not. She'd just started a new job and was distracted by that. I feel bad I didn't call her attention to it at that time.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #204
prescribe22

Sc111, the more you try to cover up the holes you dug, the more it's apparent you dug holes.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #205
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescribe22 View Post
Sc111, the more you try to cover up the holes you dug, the more it's apparent you dug holes.

What the hell are you talking about?

Go read the old Scriptshadow thread. It's quite interesting. I reread it over the weekend.

In that thread, Script Trading on Done Deal was characterized as "only going seven miles over the speed limit" while what Scriptshadow/Chris Eads did was "going 100 miles over the limit."

Here's what I said (and got my butt handed to me for saying it):

Post # 652 (12/20/09)

Quote:
sc111:

If we are to be appalled by SS -- then we can't claim when we do the same thing on DD it's excusable because it's on a "smaller" scale. for all we know MORE people have downloaded copyrighted material thanks to Done Deal's long lifespan than have yet to do so the year SS has been in existance.

EDITED TO ADD:

Just Did the legwork on DD's script-trading activities.

Official Script Request Thread as of December 6/09 - 2,293 views
Official Script Request Thread as of July 1/09 - a whopping 63,325 views

There's nothing private about this script trading.
http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...scriptsha dow

Read from this point on and see how many members were pounding Chris Eads into the ground while rationalizing (and in some cases excusing) the trading done on this site.

Go look. It's very interesting. What a difference a year and a half later makes.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #206
ComicBent

Will has asked everyone to bring this thread to a close. Unfortunately, it is continuing, and some of you are making the issue too personal.

I am going to go ahead and lock the thread. I am sure that we will come back to all of this sooner or later, but for now let's just move on.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
Closed Thread