Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zero interest in joinging the writers' room... just want to sell spec pilots

Re: the OP, that's like saying "I have no interest in assignments and only want to sell specs." Good luck

Comment

Re: Zero interest in joinging the writers' room... just want to sell spec pilots

A few observations about this thread:

With 50 feature screenplays behind me, of course the TV thing is rearing its ugly (well, not so ugly at all) head. It's not a total surprise, but I've been holding off. I have enough problems trying to break in (age/location/not exactly writing traditional stories, etc.)

Summarizing, this thread is all about pilots, and whether or not the writer wants to continue involvement or will even be invited to be involved.

But what about my case? Among all my stories, I've come back occasionally to a favorite story that I wrote in 2010 and have now written four sequels - sort of a poor-man's Harry Potter, with more to come. I've begun to advertise it as a feature franchise or a cable pilot+9 episodes, and have just had my first bite.

Of course am getting the "I don't have time to read 10 hours of scripts" (understandable), so he's helping me to write up a bible, with setting/characters/series breakdown, etc. That's the reason for my visit to DDPro today, hopefully to find a clear, concise sample, when I found this topic.

So if one has a pilot, that's that, but my having all of the above, surely I can expect to be involved all the way through?

Mind you, I have empathy with the OP since I'm an ideas guy and am fine with just dropping the pilot on 'em and then moving on.

Or, as the money can be good, as JL mentioned in an earlier post, and I knew that anyway, well I'd be happy to stick around.

The show really is my baby, after all. At least in this case, with 10 episodes already written.

Interestingly, Will added that the producers/stuio may try to limit what else I can work on. Arrgh just let 'em try to do that!

So those are my observations, from my unusual POV and background.

As I always say, 100% of $10,000 is $10,000, and 1% of a million is that same $10K, but I'd more likely want to be involved in the latter because there's likely to be much more coming in the future.

Comment

Personally, I'd love the chance to be part of the writer's room, merely for the experience. It's probably because I'm a noob and am looking for a bit of a jumping off point, and feature writing probably won't get me far at this point. But I think also because being part of a team is always interesting, especially in creative endeavors like writing. I would love to do that. I think it would be fun. And selling spec scripts for various projects seems to be much, much more difficult.
        I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

Working...
        X