Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Series

I keep bringing this up and realized maybe this would be very good for someone like me. I want to make something. My mind goes easier to TV ideas. There are more and more shows that are shorter like BBC model with 6 episodes. Broad City and High Maintenance come to mind as success stories.

Share some great web series you've seen. Did you make one?

I just need to make something. It's 2019, it's easier than ever and I used to make stuff with my friends in high school -- think The State like sketch show-- and I miss that so much.

Let's talk about web series.

Re: Web Series

Personally, I'm down with it. I just can't figure out how to write that small. I think it's maybe a medium best served for comedy, which is right up your alley. I say GO FOR IT!
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

If you think of it like a feature film broken up into 6 to 10 episodes it could work for any genre you write. But in general yes comedy works best in this format. Or well.

Comment

Bottom line is, unless you're doping as a show piece for your skills, how do you make it profitable?

5-6 minute youtube clip you get a few friends and wannabe actors together and bang it together for loose change.

I think a web series needs a deeper pocket than that - both going in and coming out
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

It's for exposure and fun -- and hoping it leads to paid opportunities down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            It's for exposure and fun -- and hoping it leads to paid opportunities down the line.

Didn't Isa Rea start that way? Did I spell her name right?
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I was going to suggest awhile back, Bono, that you try a movie critiquing youtube thing like "Nostalgic Critic" or maybe like the "The Critical Drinker". I mention these because they have hooks along with doing some good movie reviewing. But I wasn't sure you wanted to do other production stuff other than writing.

I was surprised to find out that "Nostalgic Critic", for instance, isn't created on the west coast, also NC has a cast that reenacts scenes that are hilarious. The actors are very good and youtube could be a stepping stone for their careers.

The critical Drinker is already a well off novelist. 8 books so far. His hook is he's a pissed off drunk giving movie review, It works. His views took off over night.

As far as money goes some youtubers are pulling in just under a million a year.
              TRIAL FORUMS

​
              ​

Comment

That's a good suggestion. I mean I went to film school like most people my age thinking I'm going the Kevin Smith route, writing, directing, a little acting maybe. I'm not shy. But I'm also not brave enough to do stand up and I never tried to be an actor in anything. I think I'd be a terrible actor, but myself being an idiot -- I could be that.

I love https://redlettermedia.com/ myself. I love how much fun they're having and I miss that down to earth, low budget, do stuff with friends. I used to do that in high school.

I love The State.

I have zero idea why I haven't done any of these things.

I love writing probably because it's easier to do than going out and making something. It's more solo act and I'm better at that. But I dream of making a horror movie. An indie movie.

I forgot all the dreams and skills I had. I wanted to be an editor at one point...

This old man still dreams of things he dreamed of when he was 16...

Comment

I think you'll have to push the envelope beyond drinking and on to hard drugs. Reviews while high on coke, meth, something.

Comment

I wrote the first three episodes of a fictional web series about American hikikomori with the intent of submitting to the New York Television Festival this year, and lo and behold they didn't have the festival.

The thing about producing your content is that then you have to do all the heavy lifting of marketing it and trying to build and audience, and what writer enjoys doing $%&* like that? Not this guy.

So mine is sitting in a file folder collecting proverbial computer dust.

Comment

I don't want to do movie reviews -- or at least not like most of those youtube channels do them. I was talking about a mini-TV show or movie. A comedy. A drama. A horror movie. A musical. redlettermedia I know main focus is movie reviews and I like their opinions as they seem more honest than the over the top videos -- but what I like most is the humor and storylines around it. That's what I love. And I still think their reviews on Star Wars prequels is comedy gold and very very smart film commentary. Not just shitting on them for the sake of like 99% of videos on youtube about films. I hate that crap. 15 things wrong with ____

I went to film school and I wanted to do it all! I just haven't done it since film school much.

And I would find others to help me do it. You don't have to do the production yourself if that's not your thing. Find a director. Some film students excited to do something. Make some new friends.

And my only vice in real life is food. I almost have diabetes!!!! But I don't drink. I smoked a cigar once. Only drugs I take are PPI and sometimes Xanax. Never did illegal drug. I am not that guy and I honestly never found drug humor funny. Like there is pot humor in 95% of comedies and I'm like -- this isn't a joke. That's just a guy that is high. It's just the real life thing. Why is this funny? However, I love Harold and Kumar go to white castle and they have the best pot joke, where Kal Penn starts to beat his wife in that dream sequence... amazing. Also Towelie from South Park is amazing.

A web series could also be my BAD PITCH idea. I could do a fictional version, but it might be funnier just to ask friends and writers to actually pitch that idea you know is going to piss everyone off and just go for it.

Comment

DESSERT ISLAND FILMS: Movie reviews while you eat various desserts.

Alright, no movie reviews.

I don't know if this fits your writing style and vision for BAD PITCHES, but a super easy production concept would be a writer pitching a super-progressive story line and the execs are like, "That sounds great! What's it called?" And the writer always gives some super offensive title and then you cut to a door slamming in the writer's face.

They would be like 30 seconds, you could play all the parts, shoot it in your home with an iPhone and tripod.

Have you seen Screen Rant's Pitch Meetings? They make fun of the writer, the studio exec, and the audience for accepting stupid story lines, plot holes, etc. -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c84ANSiVBAg

Comment

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
                          I wrote the first three episodes of a fictional web series about American hikikomori with the intent of submitting to the New York Television Festival this year, and lo and behold they didn't have the festival.

The thing about producing your content is that then you have to do all the heavy lifting of marketing it and trying to build and audience, and what writer enjoys doing $%&* like that? Not this guy.

So mine is sitting in a file folder collecting proverbial computer dust.
                          Sounds like a cool idea. You could probably find someone who wants to produce/direct it, put the crew together, etc. Between Craigslist, Reddit, and whatever else is out there, somebody would make it.

Comment

Originally posted by megablahblah View Post
                            DESSERT ISLAND FILMS: Movie reviews while you eat various desserts.

Alright, no movie reviews.

I don't know if this fits your writing style and vision for BAD PITCHES, but a super easy production concept would be a writer pitching a super-progressive story line and the execs are like, "That sounds great! What's it called?" And the writer always gives some super offensive title and then you cut to a door slamming in the writer's face.

They would be like 30 seconds, you could play all the parts, shoot it in your home with an iPhone and tripod.

Have you seen Screen Rant's Pitch Meetings? They make fun of the writer, the studio exec, and the audience for accepting stupid story lines, plot holes, etc. -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c84ANSiVBAg
                            I like dessert pitches -- that's weird and funny. And I can post many offensive sketches that I would love to title these ideas... like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aristocrats

But so I just watched Screen Rants and I hope this isn't you because I hate those things so much. It's everything I hate about this youtube videos that make fun of other people's creative achievements while also secretly just wishing someone would read their screenplay or TV Pilot. I'm sorry, I want to punch this guy in the face. Again if this is you, I still want to punch you in the face, but now I feel slightly bad about it...

Comment

No, it's not me, haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X