Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Bellabell

Default Love interests

No, this is not a personal. I want to know if it's a bad thing not to have a love interest in a comedy. I can't think of too many examples of successful comedies where the protag doesn't have a love interest.

I could rewrite my comedy and include one, but IMO it doesn't add to the story or take anything away.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
DramaKing
Regular

Default Re: Love interests

You answered your own question.
DramaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
R.D. Wright

DramaKing nailed it, but that still begs the question:

How did you manage to do that? I can't think of a comedy that doesn't have some kind of love connection -- a husband, wife, something.

That's odd.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Bellabell

There is a husband she doesn't love. He dies and the focus of the story is her lie to everyone about his death.

There is a man, but there is no true love (love interest).
Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #5
Raymond
New User

All depends in your story and the characters interactions.

One goog example, and one of my favorites, is "Lilies of the Field" with Sidney Poitier.

R
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Bellabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool running View Post
I'd create the possibility of love, even if it's just a teaser, doesn't ever happen ... but then that's me. And you're you, and it's your screenplay.

thanks coolrunning. This reminds me of National Lampoons vacation for some reason. Chevy's character is married, but there is that temptation on the side. The movie is not centered around the love triangle, but it added an extra layer to Chevy's character (as shallow as it was)
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
English Dave

Comedy needs jeopardy. Make sure your jeopardy is interesting enough. Personally I can't think of a successful comedy that didn't have a significant love interest somewhere.
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
AaronB
Regular

War of the Roses didn't have a love interest. Of course, you may well ask yourself how funny it was, too.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
medavidson
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabell View Post
I can't think of too many examples of successful comedies where the protag doesn't have a love interest.
There are all sorts of comedies that don't have a love interest. Did they all work? Well, some did. Look at Cheech and Chong. A buddy comedy movie. No love interest.

But convention says, yeah, there's a love interest. Conventions suck though. I say if it's your movie, your money, and your script kicks ass without the love interest, go for it.

Maybe look at the flip-side, how many comedy movies had a love interest that was so telegraphed that you knew, just knew, it was tacked on by a prodco or studio to pander to an audience, at the expense of the story. If it works, it works, but don't tag it on in a half-ass fashion.
Mark
medavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
WritersBlock2010

I'm all for bucking conventions...

But there is a reason love is "tacked on" to almost every single genre and it has nothing to do with the fact 50% of the audience is female like I said earlier:

Code:
PARRISH I know it's a cornball thing but love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. If you don't start with that, what are you going to end up with? I say fall head over heels. Find someone you can love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart. I'm not hearing any heart. (a moment) Run the risk, if you get hurt, you'll come back. Because, the truth is there is no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love -- well, you haven't lived a life at all. You have to try. Because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived.
And before someone chimes with a smart-ass comment trying be "cute"...

The point is this is the kind of emotion you have to tap into if you are writing about love. In any capacity. You don't have to wear (write with) your heart on your sleeve, but you have to at least understand and articulate it in a similar degree. Love is one of the human conditions/emotions universal for every human being on the planet. It's what we fight about, fight against and makes everything worth fighting for in the end. It's why humans fight to overcome obstacles with the hope of becoming better people in the end... Which is exactly what Bellabell's story is about